Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

F***ing Ball Joints

Great tip, Chris. I had no idea the rubber would lift off - I thought it was glued/bonded to the metal casing. Thanx gary
  2. B

F***ing Ball Joints

Errrrr, I think its a bit beyond glueing - even Blue Peter couldn't fix this one !! Thanks for the offer Chris, but I ordered one via ebay & its arrived already.
  3. B

F***ing Ball Joints

Thats what I thought, rich ..... ..... so full of confidence I cracked on with the left side at the weekend (btw I don't recall anyone mentioning that you have to unbolt & lift the n/s shock to get the driveshaft out of the way - should I be able to compress the shock by hand ?? ) and got...
  4. B

F***ing Ball Joints

One down, one to go !!!! Thanks for all your replies/advice. Pickle fork b/j splitter didn't work - in fact I broke it !! I hate Halfrauds & on won't buy anything there unless absolutely no other option, so I bought some Holts freeze spray stuff from Euro Car Parts for about £5. Needed...
  5. B

F***ing Ball Joints

Having finally managed to find some appropriate sized tubing for the "jack-up" installation method I decided to tackle the ball joints today. I got half way to dismantle & am now stuck. The hub/knuckle is seized on the balljoint stem. The balljoint is seized in the lower arm. Used...
  6. B

Question from the new girl

Crikey - didn't know that ( not that I've towed anything yet)
  7. B

Paint spraying

Hi guys, Slightly off topic, but ...... i need to respray my other half's motorbike. it needs to be a proper job as one of the BSB teams has offered to vinyl the bike up like their racers. I've done spraying before with good results, but only with cans. I have a 50 ltr compressor with...
  8. B

Ball Joints

Bugggggger. Thats my weekend plans back in turmoil then. Thanks for yr reply.
  9. B

Ball Joints

I've received my frt lwr ball-joints from the chap on Ebay ( the cheap ones ) and I'm a little confused ..... The advert (below) shows: ball joint, circlip, castle nut, split pin, grease nipple - I've been sent: ball joint, circlip, nylock nut. Now I can live with nylock nut instead of...
  10. B

Awol

Jeez, thats not good fella. Take things easy, & hope you get your fitness back. Gary
  11. B

Reliable retailer ??

ok, thanks for the info will measure up the tube tomorrow & post back
  12. B

Reliable retailer ??

At some point in time I have "aquired" a 7ft length of scaffold tube - kept hold of it cos very handy as along lever - but thats going off on a tangent. the point is, that i'm guessing its about the right diameter to use for my LBJ's ( ?? ) just wondering if a standard electric diy type angle...
  13. B

Bottom Ball Joint Replacement

If you search "front lower ball joint" you'll find in the list a good "how to" by a chap called mountaingreen. lots of pics too. HTH Gary
  14. B

Reliable retailer ??

Thanks - found these guys after I posted (don't know why I didn't see them in my earlier search). I've read a few "how to.." posts on frt lwr ball-joints - the US guys all buy/hire presses for installation/removal, but i can't find anyone in UK that rents these out. So would I be able to...
  15. B

Reliable retailer ??

Anyone had any dealings with these people? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-FRONT-Lower-Ball-Joint-FORD-EXPLORER-95-05-/220395839793?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33509da131 I need some frt lwr ball-joints & came across these on ebay. £ 27.50 delivered sounds like a good price (...
  16. B

Economy...

My other half used to use the Ex for work around town - door to door collecting. Out of curiosity i checked the consumption - 11 mpg.:thumbdwn: (normal mpg was between 19 mpg & 23 mpg). Solution : bought her an old astra for £300, does 35 mpg in town.:thumbsup:
  17. B

Parts on Ebay...

any thoughts on that transfer drive sprocket - just to satisfy my curiosity ?
  18. B

Parts on Ebay...

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but isn't this drive sprocket missing a tooth on the inner run ?? If so, how can this be sold as "new", & wouldn't it screw up the rest of the drive mechanicals ...
  19. B

Wind-Up

Phatgrob: yes it does sound similar, but everyone describes things using different words so who can tell ? Jonc: I get what you're saying, but this didn't happen at all in 14 months driving, then when the brown wire was connected it's done it a couple of times in under a 3 days. I...
  20. B

Wind-Up

Thanks Howard, I've had it in low ratio before, so I know that bit works, but haven't checked any of it since MOT. The garage guy cycled the switch & thought it was all ok cos the lights came on the dash for 4X4 & low - obviously he hadn't seen an Ex up close before. What I don't understand...
  21. B

Wind-Up

Can someone describe the symptoms of 4wd/diff wind-up please? I'm aware of the problem in principle but not quite sure how it manifests itself. The reason I ask is that when my Ex was MOT'd the guy in the garage said he'd found out why the 4WD wasn't working .... there was a wire on/near the...
  22. B

MOT .... Pass !!

Kevin, you're undercarriage looks superb (forgive the double-entende) When are you coming round to do mine ??
  23. B

Power Steering

Since the MOT last week there has been a strange groaning noise, almost like something was rubbing in the steering / suspenders, in the Ex. My first thought was that there was some air in the power steering system (I have been told that the mot wheel wobble test can airate the system if done...
  24. B

Diff oils

The guy at Opie's told me on the phone it was the one for LSDiffs as soon as I said it was for an Ex. Thats handy about the t/f case - i've got some Dexron 3 sitting on the shelf, that should save a few pennies. Thanks for that. What are my chances of getting a decent finish from a can on...
  25. B

MOT .... Pass !!

I had a wander down the pit while it was being MOT'd - its all quite rusty in the suspenders, so maybe its worthwhile taking lots of it apart, de-rusting & respraying before fitting new parts. I was going to freeze the LBJ's anyway, Jan. Always have to do that on steering head bearings on the...
Back