Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Low & high beams on at the same time?

I can't remember what the vehicle was but I remember that if you held both beams on for like a minute it would disable that function for a short while
  2. F

HELP stuck in snow near Grayling, MI

Excuse me L4CX for not getting your username right and for posting on the Great Lakes board for me, even when I wasn't driving a Ford product...I do miss my Explorers and the Mounty though, thinking about getting another 1st gen Ex if the price is right (and I'm not just saying that :p:) I...
  3. F

It took me a while to write this and so I hope you don't mind me copying and pasting from gminsidenews.com (my main online hang out these days due to my Buick Reatta mostly) I'm home. This is what went down (I hope I get the order of everything right, it was a long day) I decided to take a...
  4. F

Hey guys thanks for the concern and thanks to LC4X for posting on Great Lakes. I'm safe and heading home, details later
  5. F

Hey guys. I'm posting from my Treo. My Subaru Forester is stuck on a seasonal road west of Grayling, north of M72. If any of you guys are nearby and could give me a tug (ive got a strap) please call me 517-285-1798. It isn't THAT stuck. I've been here a few hours...some snowmobilers tried to...
  6. F

'96 keyless entry pinout

Hey guys, I'm dealing with the keyless entry module from a '96 model year 5.0L XLT. Any of you guys have the wiring diagram or pinout for the two harnesses that connect into it? Thanks
  7. F

4.6L head swap?

Can 3 or 4 valve heads be swapped onto our motors? As I understand it it can be done with like Mustangs. I find the 4.6L in my Mounty to be pretty gutless otherwise. Thanks
  8. F

5R55W Fluid Fill

If I go ahead and drop the pan and refill the 2-3 quarts that are lost, can I remove the cooler return line, run the engine for a moment to pump out maybe a quart, and refill? I'd like to get all the old oil out of the torque converter and all. Have done this with GM transaxles with success, but...
  9. F

Power pedals keep moving inward

I think that's my issue, with the keyless entry remotes. I'll try setting both the 1 and 2 settings tomorrow and then see what happens. I didn't think about this, and I only have one remote
  10. F

Power pedals keep moving inward

Howdy. 2003 Mounty... I haven't seen them move yet, but everytime I lock the doors and come back, I find that the pedals have moved so they're closest to the driver's seat. I've tried setting the right position using the seat memory, but that doesn't help. It's kind of annoying having to move...
  11. F

look what the dealer did to my Explorer!

Link to Autotrader...
  12. F

Buying a 3rd gen...what to look for?

Howdy. I searched around but couldn't find what I'm looking for... I'm very interested in a 2002 at a local Ford dealer. It's a black Limited with black leather. 89k miles, 4.0L, Control Trac, silver alloy wheels (not chrome). It looks pretty sharp, though to me it looked like the paint was a...
  13. F

Automatic trans reliability

Just wanted to bump this...any other comments on tranny reliability? There's an '02 4.0 Limited I'm eyeing :)
  14. F

Is there a such thing? 4 door, manual, SOHC?

True. On autotrader I have come across a handful of 2002 manuals, but ever only one confirmed that also had Control Trac
  15. F

As I understand, the 4R70W is overbuilt for an Ex/Mountie. My dad's '98 E350 with a 4.6L had the 4R70w, and was used as a stocked plumbing truck. It only developed a hard shift at around 180k miles. To me thats a good automatic
  16. F

Hey guys... I haven't made up my mind, but I'm thinking I'd like to buy either a 2nd gen 5.0L or a 3rd gen, don't know if I'd go 4.0L or 4.6. Anyway, in reality, are these transmissions reliable and long-lived? I'd be buying a 4x4 model with under 100k miles. Does the five speed auto hold...
  17. F

Is there a such thing? 4 door, manual, SOHC?

Were there any 4 door Ex's with the 5 speed manual tranny and 4.0 SOHC? And 4x4 too.
  18. F

Speedometer gear

Thanks there Masterd, but I searched for a few minutes but couldn't find anything. Tried like "ford speedometer gear" "speedometer gear 15" and a few others. I did indeed find some, but nothing with less than 16.
  19. F

Speedometer gear

Hey guys. Got a question... A while back I replaced the tranny in my XL with a junkyard pull. I'm not sure exactly what vehicle it came from, but was told it was a '92 Explorer (did not get to see it for myself). I plugged my existing, stock speedometer gear and cable into it (yellow) and...
  20. F

High oil consumption

My bad! I forgot there's a "lower" intake manifold...I haven't messed with that gasket, which is probably my issue. The one I dealt with just connects the big aluminum thing that the throttle body is connected to. I didn't use RTV on the real intake manifold gasket :p:
  21. F

HElp

Yeah you do it yourself. The transfer case is easy to drain...on the backside there's a "harmonic balancer" with 4 bolts. Remove this, and there will be two plugs that require a 3/8'' drive socket/extension to remove. Drain at the bottom and fill the top plug until it runs out. It takes Mercon...
  22. F

High oil consumption

Thanks again. I'll get to replacing that soon. I've got ths service manual CD, so I've got the torque specs.
  23. F

High oil consumption

Intake manifold gasket eh? Reminds me...a couple seasons ago I had to replace a fuel injector O ring. Not much was going very well that day, so I said F it and used RTV instead of a real intake manifold gasket. I've heard of intake manifold gaskets being an issue but never really looked into...
  24. F

High oil consumption

Hey guys. I'm planning on taking my '92 XL on a trip to Florida. I'm not really worried about it, but the thing uses quite a bit of oil. If it's right after I change it (been using 10w30 name brand conventional in warm weather, 5w30 when cold), it may be a few hundred miles before I need to...
  25. F

Brett's 4.0L SOHC Swap

yup its been a while since I've been here, but that tach was actually just on my desk :p:
Back