Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

8.8 slip yoke length

I have a 91 ex with a 3.5" lift. my drive shaft has about 1" of compression till it bottoms out on the tranny. Is that enough slip for my rig? it is not a daily driver i use it for mild snow wheeling and some dirt/rock.
  2. D

Rear Drive Shaft Specs?

does any one have a drive shaft for fit my ex?
  3. D

Rear Drive Shaft Specs?

i have a 91 for explorer with a 3.5" lift, 8.8 axle. i did a SOA lengthened my shaft the redneck way, hated the lift and took it out. now i need a new shaft that is about 48 7/8" flange to flange. does any one know a vehicle i can pick one from? i'm heading to pick n pull and wanted to see if...
  4. D

Loose steering/steering gear box question

i am having similar issues. does any one have any pictures of this adjustment screw? if i an using this for snow wheeling but have to drive it there would a little tighter be better? or will it over heat the box. i don't know how to test the box. mine may be leaking how often does this go bad. i...
  5. D

How to replace a steering gear box

How do i know if its bad? i have a little slop in mine. is there a definitive test? i am leaking fluid but i think its my pump.
  6. D

93 explorer bogging down and check engine light on

you could look at fuel pressure/ filter. it could be catalytic converter clogged and causing issues at low rpm? what does the temp look like. a plugged cat will drive up the temp a little. i know it sounds weird but check the brakes, parking of if the are stuck. first thought is cat though just...
  7. D

Locker specs and model for d35 and 8.8

maybe we can move this to the modified 91-94 section. bump i still use this.
  8. D

Double your pleasure... DIY Doubler!

i hope you're kidding but its a transmission doubler well t-case doubler, it doubles your gear ratio. now... what about that build thread. i have seen some people do it but needed some machine work done. so lets see it. antibiotics and back to work.
  9. D

Just got a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT!!! =)

congrats on the X. not quite sure what "murdered" is context indicates that it is good. Foxracin has a good thread on a build up. how competent are you of a mechanic? I recommend, depending how serious you are and what you will be doing with it, but working out the mechanical mods like...
  10. D

Gear ratio question

you mean the opposite... 4.88's are lower geared therefore worse for the highway and better around town.
  11. D

Puzzled about coolant loss

sure thats late night for me my eyes were closing... if these motors overheat a little from a small problem it becomes a big problem. lets do a couple scenarios; #1. blown HG (head gasket) lets cylinder compression into the cooling system. builds pressure and blows out a heater core seam...
  12. D

Wiring a Solenoid

keep the post going i know the systems will make hydorgen but i dont know if they can make enough to make a difference, some people seen conviced otherwise. i have the parts for a DIY but never got around to it.
  13. D

Wind wistle

do you have a rack on top? not too familiar. free bump
  14. D

Wiring a Solenoid

IZwack is right, and that solenoid indicates its continuous duty but i would be leary because it is an electro magnet that generates heat. what is the for?
  15. D

I have spark and fuel pressure at the rail, but it only starts with starting fluid.

when spraying starting fluid does it run well or rough. the injectors could seize up with exposure to moisture. do the plugs get wet with fuel when you crank it over, if they are wet do they smell like gas or weaker gas, or something else. if it runs rough when you use starting fluid, you can...
  16. D

Thermostat housing replacement

thanks for string of advice.
  17. D

heres my soap box again, here is what happens... if a particular component fails (thrumostat, radiator, overflow...ect) the motor overheats this in turn weakens and already weakened head gasket it fails, causing other major issues like misfire, leaking heater core, leaky hose, radiator...
  18. D

Thermostat housing replacement

i cant help you there but ill give you a bump and a welcome to the club.
  19. D

well we all need to face it, the 4.0 is notorious for blowing head gaskets and heads. i just bought a donor and the guy gave me every record on the car since new... he had symptoms since the truck was a year old. i replaced 2 on one X in a year and a half. had one and ran it 3 years with a blow...
  20. D

What diff cover for an 8.8

i went with the solid. i must admit that it is just that... solid.
  21. D

Gear ratio question

well what size tires are you running? i have been looking into regearing, but i have read that 4.56 on 33" tires is too large for street use. but 37's might be ok. i am looking at 4.11 to 4.56
  22. D

#5 miss fire. Bank 1 lean.

welcome to the forum. well looks like you did you homework. the wet plug is interesting almost like the power never get to the plug. you know way more than i do but can you verify that the spark is making the jump at the electrodes of the plug and not through the boot somewhere, could the head...
  23. D

I am looking for a differential

i have never used either one but they both have a great reputation. i like the idea of electric since that is readily available. but currently looking into ARB's
  24. D

Foxracin's 1991 Exploder

Did you break it? been quiet on this post.
  25. D

What diff cover for an 8.8

i like the solid covers look, however they are cast.
Back