Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

1996 Key question

Actually, my mom's 98 has a chip, but I think that is the first year.
  2. H

1996 Key question

I have a 1996 XLT, the key has no chip. I have the security system, as well. As far as I know, they are metal keys with a plastic cover, no chip.
  3. H

High Rev at startup

So, then I guess this was a flaw in all the 4.0 V6's? I really know of at least a dozen of them that do this at start up, including the SOHC models. Just wondering if it was a problem for all of them.
  4. H

about to trade my mustang for a 99 explorer... good plan?

I would still pass that one up. Too many mile, plus rust. I would not do it.
  5. H

High Rev at startup

Mine does the same thing, so does my mother's. Both are 1998 Explorer Sports with 4.0's My guess is it is normal.
  6. H

New here need Opinions

Hello: As far as 5.0s being better than 4.0 V6's, it all depends on what you want to do with it. You don't really gain any fuel economy by going V6 on Explorers, so that's out. As with any V8, the engine will have more horsepower, and presumably, top end speed. I have been mostly around the...
  7. H

brake job now ABS randomly kicks on

Is either hub making any noise?? You have a bad hub would be my guess.
  8. H

ABS activates at low speeds?

I had exactly the same incident on my '98 Sport. I paid it little attention, as it is my secondary vehicle. However, after a while, the hub started making a loud grinding noise. While the hub is not the cheapest repair (anything over $50 is expensive to me) it is not overly difficult. There is a...
  9. H

Need honest opinion!!! Please help!

I completely agree with gijoecam. I would not tow that much weight with an Explorer. It is simply not made to handle that load, period.
  10. H

Possible? 99 LTD 4x4 towing 5800lb Land Cruiser?

I am not even sure I would do it on flat land and taking my time. The 4.0 V6 was never intended to pull a load like that. I think the smallest I would even dream of trying to pull that is an F-150, and I would want the 5.4L Triton to do it. If you were to pull that with your Explorer, you'll...
  11. H

abs light problems

Yep, sounds like a bad hub/bearing. My 1998 Sport did the exact same thing, replaced the hub, and fixed it fine.
  12. H

Wheels for My 1998 Explorer Sport

Thanks to everyone who responded. Around here, it seems a set of 31X10.50s is going to run a lot cheaper than the 16s do. Plus, since this is my secondary vehicle (2004 F-150 is my daily driver) then I can get an off brand tire in 31X10.50s and save some coin. There are no places here in...
  13. H

Wheels for My 1998 Explorer Sport

Hello all; I recently purchased a 1998 Explorer Sport with the factory 16 inch rims. The vehicle badly needs a new set of tires, but I think I want 15's instead of the 16's. My question is, will a set of 15's from another Explorer or Ranger fit instead of the 16's? 15's are far more common...
  14. H

Firestone Destination AT or LE which one is better

Hey all, this will be my first post. I have had nothing but bad luck with any kind of Firestone tire. They wear out much faster than advertised, and ride like crap. If it were me I'd go with a BF Goodrich or Michelin tire. Having had both of these brands on either my F-150, or my previous...
Back