Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

What's gonna go wrong next?

Figured I'd give this thread of mine a bump... not surprisingly, it only took a month to answer my question. I've got a leak coming from the area of the front differential - it's in the shop now and they're gonna let me know the cause. Last week, when the handles were iced over, I ripped...
  2. J

What's gonna go wrong next?

Ok, here's the deal.. .I've got a 2005 XLT 4.0. I bought it used, 3 years ago w/ 30000 miles. It now has about 50000. I got a pretty good deal on it and KBB is still a decent amount above what I owe on it... Anyway, I'm not a 'diehard' Explorer owner like some of you. I really enjoy it and...
  3. J

2005 XLT HU Install

Should be fixed.... it was a permissions setting where my photos are hosted.. sorry about that!
  4. J

Vacation checklist

I figured, which is why my second post clarified as a problem free drive.
  5. J

Vacation checklist

Thanks.. good call on checking the spare. I'm taking jack stands and a hydraulic jack with me, so I should be good there. I'll check the other fluids.
  6. J

Vacation checklist

LONO, I get what you're saying... but I don't think you get what I'm asking... Think along the lines of oil changes, wiper changes, fluid changes, etc, etc.... what are the basic, run of the mill, non-Explorer specific, Explorer specific, maintenance items that one should take care of before...
  7. J

Vacation checklist

I will do 100% highway driving on I-95 from Maryland to the Carolinas. Like I said, I've just never taken it on a 7 hour drive and want to make sure that I'm not forgetting any maintenance items that would be wise to check...
  8. J

Vacation checklist

How is that really relevant? I'm just looking for maintenance related items for the 7 hour drive.. I was probably not clear by saying "problem free trip".. I should have said "problem free drive"... but I'm going to a beach on the east coast...
  9. J

Vacation checklist

Next week I'll be taking my 05 XLT on a 7 hour drive for a 2 week vacation... what are some recommendations to help ensure a problem-free trip? Within the last month/1000 miles, I've: changed oil/filter inflated tires changed air filter took the time to change rear/front differential...
  10. J

4.0 harmonic balancer bad?

My HB went bad at about 38000 miles. You'll know it.. if yours just chirps at idle then I'm betting you're fine. Mine squealed loudly everywhere I went and increased with RPMs. Tensioner moves slightly while running... they only cost $20 or so, so why not just replace it if you're concerned...
  11. J

aftermarket stereo

As an alternative - find stores selling Metra kits. Crutchfield sells these, but so do plenty of other stores. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271666 www.metraonline.com 95-5026 is what I used to install a double-din.
  12. J

A few upgrades..

Nice, thanks.. missed that one.
  13. J

A few upgrades..

What kind of tires are those?
  14. J

Removing rear differential drain plug

Well good news to report... I tried the hydraulic jack method again with success! Rear fluid changed to Royal Purple 75W-140.
  15. J

Removing rear differential drain plug

2005 4.0L XLT ... does anyone have an idea as to how to remove a rusted drain plug from the rear differential? I have an 18" bar that hasn't worked. I've clamped vise grips to the 3/4" fitting and swatted it with a mallet - didn't work. I put my hydraulic jack under the breaker bar and tried...
  16. J

2005 Rear Differential fluid

This will be somewhat repetitive, because I've seen quite a few threads about this, but... What fluid should I use for replacement? 75w90 or 75w140? I have the 3.55 axle (not LS). If 75w140 is the recommendation, does anyone have the correspondence from Ford stating this? Thanks
  17. J

2005 XLT HU Install

After having the unit installed for a few days, I would highly recommend going with a voltage regulator as posted by someone else. The 1.5k ohm resistor (recommended by Metra) has done very little with the pop. It's minimized but not gone. I'll be switching it out in the coming days.
  18. J

HELP! Harmonic Balancer Questions

I did some searching and I decided to ressurrect this old thread. My 2005 XLT 4.0L has 38,000+ miles on it. I did the exact same thing as the OP: replaced alternator, belt, tensioner, idler pulley and each time the sound got worse. Finally, I gave up and took it to the shop and they replaced...
  19. J

2005 XLT HU Install

On the amp turn on wire coming from the headunit. 12V side to wire coming from headunit. 5V side to wire going to amp. Middle is connected to ground wire. This is my understanding.. of course, I did not do it this way, so others may have a different setup.
  20. J

2005 XLT HU Install

For better or worse, I don't have steering wheel controls.
  21. J

2005 XLT HU Install

Nice! I think the difference was the faster shipping... I didn't wanna wait, so I did 2nd or next day for everything..
  22. J

2005 XLT HU Install

I got my HU from J&R and the harness/kit from Amazon... if I recall correctly, it was about $40 cheaper than going through Crutchfield.
  23. J

2005 XLT HU Install

Thanks. Yeah, there was another thread on here about using a transistor to eliminate the "pop" you hear out of the sub when the unit powers on. I bought my harness from Metra (same company that outfits Crutchfield with theirs) and they recommended using a resistor. The thinking is that the...
  24. J

dash/bezel removal 02

I just posted a new thread.. check it out.. got the full install and also a few pics of the bezel being pried off. Pretty simple. PM me if you have questions.
  25. J

2005 XLT HU Install

I'm sure this info has been provided before, but nevertheless: The goodies: Pioneer FH-P8000BT with a Metra install kit Soldering the harnesses - note the amp turn on lead (blue) has a 1.5K ohm resistor. Metra advised using this to eliminate turn on "pop". It did an OK job, some...
Back