Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Ok, so I had dropped my Ex. off at my local Mr. Transmission after I didn't have good luck changing the sep plate gaskets and EPC. The snotty kid finally got back to me today to tell me "Your Explorer won't move, we are going to have to take the transmission out and rebuilt it, it'll be at...
  2. C

Ohhh, so I don't have to worry about tightening it? Just tighten the other two?
  3. C

Ok, read through that thread, seems pretty straight forward. Loosen lock nut, tighten stud to 120 in/pds, slack off 2 full rotations, tighten lock nut. But what about this? "The AOD, AODE, 4R70W, C3, C6, A4LD, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, and 5R55E do not have any adjustment for the low/reverse band."
  4. C

No I didn't replace the O ring seals, I assume the low/reverse servo is one of the Solenoids? Is adjusting the bands something I can do myself?
  5. C

First of all, read through this thread and I have to say thanks to all of you contributors. The information in here is amazing. Here is my problem. Driving to work one day and my trans started slipping while in D. Stopped and upon acceleration it wouldn't engage. 1 and 2 still worked fine...
  6. C

Transmission Problem - No Drive or Reverse

Ok, wow what a resource that rebuild diary is! So my plan is to tow it to my Dads shop tomorrow, take the pan off and remove the valve body. Then inspect the gasket on the separator plate. If it is blown out in sections then I'll order part 1 1L5Z-7Z490-HA 98GT-AA/BA; XL2P- CA/DA (Valve body...
  7. C

I called ford and asked them about an update and they had no idea. I talked to a transmission shop and they said that there is an updated separator plate, it comes with the gasket glued on? . Any idea what the part number would be? My transmission is the 5R55E I think.
  8. C

'99 Explorer Sport, 4.0L SOHC, 220,000 Kms I am having a problem with my transmission, All of a sudden it won't go into drive or reverse. 1st and 2nd still work. I can feel it trying to engage in drive, and it will engage ever so slightly in reverse. From what I have read here I have blown...
  9. C

4x4 Problem

The guy owned the truck before me said he replaced the front wheel speed sensors, so I assumed it was the rear sensor. So I just replaced it, to no avail. How would I check the wheel speed sensors? I have a meter, should I just check continuity?
  10. C

amp time on body lift?

I did it in one day by myself, I had a friend for an hours or so to help me jack it up but did the next myself in about 10 hours. I had a torch for seized bolts and have custom bumpers so I didn't lift those. I had read through the guide I found on here and read the instructions ahead of time. I...
  11. C

4x4 Problem

Makes perfect sense. I think I'll start by removing the rear sensor and giving it sa good cleaning. The previous owner of the truck told me he had replaced the front sensors before he sold me the truck.
  12. C

4x4 Problem

Yes it is, it's a '99 explorer sport, 4x4 V6 SOHC, and yes my ABS light IS on! But has been on since I bought the truck and the 4wd problem just started.
  13. C

4x4 Problem

Hi, I did some searching around about my four wheel drive not engaging and I think I may understand what the problem is, but could someone confirm this? My four wheel drive doesn't engage. I switch to 4 high and the light comes on, I switch to 4 low (in neutral and stopped) and I hear the...
  14. C

How to make doors removable

Hi, First post on this site, been browsing for a long, long time. I have to say, it's an amazing resource! I have always wanted to unbolt my doors on my '99 Explorer Sport. Just wondering if anyone has or if they know of a guide. I have power windows, and locks on the door, so I would...
Back