Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

how to get the rear drivers door open

Same issue, looking at it now - ever figure yours out?
  2. S

Replacing Jackshaft & Left cam cassette tensioners...and more?

Yeh the whole thing was just strange to me when I was running all the tests. I decided to just drop the tank and pull the fuel pump today. Got the pump out and put power directly to it and got nothing. So, put in a brand new pump and got everything connected again...(love those 9-5 Sunday...
  3. S

Not sure about PATS. There is not even a drop of fuel coming out of that schrader valve though. When I take the fuel pump relay out, I am getting 12+v to the hot all the time (top prong) as I should according to Haynes. With Key turned on the Haynes says I should get voltage to one other...
  4. S

Hi again; So I'm fairly certain that I've identified the problem to be with fuel delivery. Engine cranks good, and I'm getting a strong spark, but theres no gas (sprayed a little starting fluid in the intake and it kicked over for a second). Everything I tested seems to point to a bad fuel...
  5. S

Hi Dale I ended up taking the time to just swap out the wiring harness from the 98 motor and using that. At least so I could be sure that all the wiring is going to match up correctly. I managed to "finish" yesterday...that is, got everything connected, fluids re-filled and was able to attempt...
  6. S

Ok I actually found a thread where you helped someone with almost the exact same problem. I guess the only question now is, can I use the harness on the 97 motor or are things different to the point I need to use the 98 harness anyways? thanks!
  7. S

Ok, I found the harness. The place I got the motor from cut this off, it was wired a little differently than my 98 I guess... So, do I have to take the entire harness cluster off this motor and switch in the one from my 98? Or could I rewire the harness and run it myself to where it needs to...
  8. S

On my old moter, the harness for the alternator split off of this....but its not here on this motor
  9. S

Hi Again! I am just about completed with the engine swap - a 1997 SOHC V6 with about 110k miles. I was just finishing connecting the front accessories, when I realized the wiring harness that is supposed to connect to the alternator is non existent.... Everything has been exactly the same...
  10. S

I know ive seen it on this forum somewhere before, but I cant find it again. What are the direct swap options for a 1998 4.0 SOHC 4x4 VIN E? Will a 2001 fit in without trouble? Thanks again
  11. S

Going to go for a 98 Explorer motor, I'm guessing if I went for a mustang motor there would be more involved than just swapping engines?
  12. S

Hello again. Well, i did find that warning in the Haynes manual section I was referencing - but on top of the next page as the beginning to a new paragraph. Ugh. Ive decided to go the motor swap route now that I have the money. I started working on this again and have discovered that there...
  13. S

Head Gasket Replacement Timeline

Hi, is there anyone out there who could recommend, or has heard of an appropriate time to replace a head gasket on 4.0 SOHC? Not having problems with it but will have it out of the vehicle, at 100,000 miles approx. Thanks!
  14. S

HAHA........................... Fail.... Ouch. Now that b**h is torqued on there pretty good now though I guess. You're not pullin my chain are you?
  15. S

Hi again! Been a while since I've checked back; busy life right now. Retiming the cam shaft has definitely been the plan. However; it just couldnt be that simple.... I can't get the camshaft sprocket bolt off for the life of me...I can get a 3/8 socket on there and use an offset ratchet...
  16. S

1) Looking at both cams.... -Pulley is set at TDC 0 degrees... -Leftside cam is set so that the cutout is parallel to the head -Rightside cam is set so the cutout is about 10-15 degrees turned counterclockwise ??Should both of these be perfectly parallel to the head cover, or is this just a...
  17. S

Lash adjusters maybe? Just maybe....?
  18. S

Arrrgh! :frustrate:frustrateUpdate! Ok, so Compression and leak down test seems to check out.....TTested all three cylinders on the drivers side, and the #1 cylinder passenger side. Going to attempt to check cylinder 2 and 3, very little access there.... But Ive concluded that I will get...
  19. S

Hi there. Have started disassembling the intake manifolds last night. Plan on taking the valve covers off again while I can to check everything, especially right side. Bought the cylinder compression (leakdown) tester yesterday as well. Plan on getting some serious work done on...
  20. S

My game plan this weekend... 1) Change all the spark plugs, make sure theyre seated and in the leads good 2) Try taking the belt off and starting it, just to rule out something simple 3) Take off upper and lower intake manifold and do the lower gaskets (upper again if needed..kit came with...
  21. S

Oh and I listened with the stethoscope in the area of that rear cassette, didnt hear anything but your average valve train noise
  22. S

Hi there, thanks for the tips! I did have quite a bit of trouble taking off the spark plug leads when I was doing some tests before I tried starting. I removed, #'s 1 4 5 & 6. And I had a h*ll of a time trying to get them off in the first place. When I did, the spark plugs look about 10...
  23. S

Well, I actually managed to do everything without having to take that sprocket out, so Im hoping nothing moved on the right side. Although given all that was broken who knows if the chain could have slipped. And the new engine does seem to just be a whole new set of concerns.
  24. S

I am at a loss. I canNOT pinpoint this sound with the stethoscope. Sounds like it is drivers side but I cannot be sure. I can assume its top end and not crank or connecting rods, or possibly even piston problems... but how failsafe is the "remove one spark plug wire at a time and cranl"...
  25. S

I think I'm buying another motor and doing a swap.
Back