Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Is a 2006 V6 with 75k and no maintenance records too risky?

I've had great luck with my 2002 V6 that I bought privately with lots of maintenance records. Looking at a 2006 V6 from a dealer (trade in) that has no maintenance records and 75k miles. I've read about trans and engine issues with the timing chain. Is a 2006 like this worth taking a...
  2. C

Questions about replacing head unit in 02 EB

Sorry this should have been in audio and nav, if a mod could move it there I'd appreciate it
  3. C

Questions about replacing head unit in 02 EB

I'm going to replace the head unit with an Alpine w235bt from Crutchfields. I've never done this before. If someone could help out with these questions I'd appreciate it: 1) I have the Eddie Bauer with 6 cd changer - does this have a factory subwoofer? How can I tell? 2) How do I get...
  4. C

Looking at a 2007 EB V8 with 95k miles, would you buy?

Looking to replace my 2002 Eddie Bauer V6 with a 2007 EB V8. It has 95k miles for $10,500. 2nd owner with maintenance records. I've been happy with my 2002, but want the 3rd row and safety features of the 2007. What do you think? Still lots of life in this thing?
  5. C

Should I buy this 2007 limited?

I have a 2002 EB v6 with about 110k miles on it. Bought it used with new trans and has been problem free. I'm looking at a 2007 limited v8 with nav at 55k miles for $16k. One owner with records. Drives much nicer than mine and a lot more safety features. The 6 speed trans worries me with...
  6. C

How long will new clutch pack last?

Thanks - yeah I changed the fluid and added friction modifier and that lasted a few months, shudder is back again.
  7. C

Mins is the rear diff as well. About 90k miles on it. Want to know if I'm going to have to do this repair again in the nearish future.
  8. C

I've got the driveline shudder in my '02. Clutch pack is $1500 including tax etc. How long will this repair likely last? I don't mind putting money in it if I can a few years out of it.
  9. C

Have an '02 EB, need 3 rows, buy 2005 or 2006?

I have an '02 EB with about 90k miles purchased from previous owner who had put a new trans in it. No issues with the truck. I need 3 rows. Should I buy a 2005 or the 2006? I want the V8 this time. The 2005 is a fair bit cheaper in our market than the 2006. Does the 2006 offer a lot...
  10. C

2002 Eddie Bauer Door Panel, Need Help!!

The dealer glued mine on at no charge. 6 months and still holding. That's the easiest way.
  11. C

Very slow oil/fluid leak on 4.0 --- any thoughts?

It's really hard to tell. It actually looks to be collecting much closer to the front of the vehicle.
  12. C

Very slow oil/fluid leak on 4.0 --- any thoughts?

Hi all, I have an '02 Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6 with 80k. I have a veeery slow oil/fluid leak (it's hard to tell where it is parked if it is oil or axle or whatever). It drips once every 2 or 3 days, but over time still makes a mess on the nice driveway. I had the lower oil pan gasket...
  13. C

Radiator Coolant Level

Are you sure it's not leaking from the rad? The rads tend to go bad and need replacing.
  14. C

Anyone have 265/70/16 BFG AT KO's on 3rd Gen?

Yes, I have 245/70/16 Michelin Cross Terrains which are worn out. Thanks -- I may just go for the 255's. I'll see if I can find a pic of a 3rd gen with 255's. A revo or BFG AT will look better I think.
  15. C

The 245's look small in the wheel well -- I want something that looks a little better proportioned as I need new tires anyway. Open to suggestions.
  16. C

Ok thanks...wasn't sure if off roading you get more wheel rub with that size.
  17. C

Would you buy a 2002 with a new trans from the dealer?

Yes, fair enough. This will be an experiment. If it goes bad then I won't buy another 2002 :)
  18. C

I asked this in the tires forum but it's a bit quiet there.... Wondering if anyone runs 265/70/16 BFG AT KOs on a 3rd Gen Explorer? I'm looking at putting these on but I'll also be doing a fair amount of old logging roads etc. Not sure if they will rub / cause issues while driving off road...
  19. C

Anyone have 265/70/16 BFG AT's on a 3rd Gen Explorer?

Wondering if anyone runs 265/70/16 BFG AT KOs on a 3rd Gen Explorer? I'm looking at putting these on but I'll also be doing a fair amount of old logging roads etc. Not sure if they will rub / cause issues in this situtation. Would it be better to leave a bit of clearance and go 255?
  20. C

Tranny was done last year. They just bought a new truck. Cost was $4k. My guess is they went to trade it in and realized they could get nothing for it from the dealer.
  21. C

This is a private sale -- a dealer would be much more than $8k. I bought it subject to a mechanical inspection. It is very nice. No crack on the rear, no whine, etc. I'm hoping it works out, but with a new dealer trans, should be ok. I'm guessing there are deals all over on 2002's as so...
  22. C

I know, here in canuckystan prices are so much higher. They say because it is such a large country and so few of us. I'll try to get him to $7k. Related question: did any of the EB's come standard with a 2" receiver?
  23. C

I've asked about the 2002 before and got a resounding "no". However, I found a 2002 EB one owner with 78k for $8000. Spotless with all receipts and a one year old transmission installed by the dealer. Would you consider a 2002 like the above? Or would you still recommend against it...
  24. C

2003 Explorer Sport 2 door - any difference?

Thanks I didn't know that. Seems to me they are a great deal on the used market regardless (unless they ride like crap?)
Back