Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Complete rear end replace

Hey guys, I am getting irritated with this rear end whine problem. Has anyone bought a remanufactured, fully assembled 8.8 and simply swapped it in? I have read to many stories of people going to the dealer to get the TSB done (ring and pinion replaced) and then still having problems. If I...
  2. S

2004 Limited V8 To sell or not to sell...

Hey guys, I have lurked behind the scenes on the board since I first bought my X 3.5 years ago. Lots of great stuff. First learned about the ring and pinion whine problem shortly after purchase. Been dealing with it since, but now it seems the noise is getting worse (or I am just sick of...
  3. S

03 XLT--problem with cruise

Hey guys, I have had some intermittent cruise control problems, and was wondering if mine fit in with the switch problem. My problem mainly is it working or not. Just recently sometimes it turns on (and lights up on the dash) and other's it doesn't. I checked for bad fuses, making sure...
  4. S

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

Hello, I have been extensively searching and reviewing these posts and am not sure if my problem fits in here. I have luke warm air (during full A/C) blowing hard (when vents turned up to max) from my driver's side vent. The middle vents are a bit colder, and the passenger vent is perfect...
  5. S

Blend Door Actuator Help

Thanks, I guess before I go tearing this thing up, I'll just try to recharge. Scott
  6. S

Blend Door Actuator Help

Hello, So I have searched through the threads here on the blend door actuator problem, trying to find a fix for my issue. First of all, I have the DATC and my problem is that in the summer, my driver's side vent and middle vents blow luke warm air while the passenger side blows cold air...
  7. S

'04+ owners: Want better throttle response?

Any updates on this? Does this work on the 4.6?
  8. S

New (used) 2004 4.6 Limited question

Hey guys, I am new to the Ex, just purchased a 2004 Limited with the 4.6, with only 50K miles on it. I was wondering since it's basically 6 years old, even though it has low miles, should I perform a tune up (plugs, etc.) or is it ok to follow the service manual? If I did anything, what all...
  9. S

How to replace rear hatch window

Not sure if you figured it out yet, I am assuming you just need the glass replaced. I just replaced on of the hinges on the glass hatch (cheap white metal ford used). Very easy. Basically the glass can be separated from the whole back hatch door. On the inside of the hatch door, remove the...
  10. S

Switch in shifter column.....

So the BSI is the switch that allows you to shift when you put your foot on the brake. The pin drops down. You used one of my pics. When I shift from Drive to Park, I get hung up in R, and it's a know issue with the explorer. Ford fixed the BSI switch, by putting in a shorter pin. So I...
  11. S

Shifting into Park

Hey all, I did some reading of the NHTSA investigation and I would like to point out this document: http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Pursuits/2009/PE/INCLA-PE09020-36779.pdf It states that Ford redesigned the BIS switch to have a shorter pin retracting...
  12. S

Shifting into Park

The more I think about it, the more I might go buy a new BIS switch and try that before I try to file some more. This shouldn't be happening to a 50K vehicle. Shame on you Ford. Scott
  13. S

Hello!! New owner of 2004 X Limited V8

Hello all, Noob from Ann Arbor, Mich (Go Blue!!) Anyway, just bought a 2004 Limited V8, every available option in 2004. Still has the window sticker, 41K in 2004!! Factory installed chrome side steps. Bone stock for now, don't plan on any major mods. Probably will add some tow hooks...
  14. S

Shifting into Park

I updated my post, figured out how to have the pics show up. Haven't had a chance to file more. Probably going to try and stick some packing tape, or something sticky on one side and smooth and slippery on the otherside, to the area where I am filing. Scott
  15. S

Shifting into Park

Ok, so I will try to post some pictures. It is a tight area, so it is tough to take nice perfect pictures. All you have to do is take off the outer housing of the column. Then just behind the ignition is the BIS. Just over it is the shifter. The BIS is spring loaded. You can pull it down...
  16. S

Shifting into Park

Hmmmm.... the post that was quoted earlier simply said that if I fix the pit, I would fix the problem, and since I thought I fixed the pit (but didn't make the surface smooth enough) I would fix my problem. Maybe it really is the BSI switch!!! Well, I'll try to smooth the surface a bit more...
  17. S

Shifting into Park

So I was able to get to the shift mechanism, and see where the pin made a "pit" and tried filing it down with the smallest file I had (round one, not a jeweler file as mentioned). I wasn't able to fix the problem, probably because one would need a fine flat file. It was still getting caught up...
  18. S

Shifting into Park

Well, that seems like something I could do, I'll take a look when I get a chance. Thanks
  19. S

Shifting into Park

Has anyone had the BSI replaced? I looked over the TSB, and it looks straight forward. Wonder how much this would cost? What would happen if I didn't fix it? TSB's are not usually safety issues, if they were, then a recall would occur. So far on my 2 week old used 04 explorer, I now...
  20. S

Shifting into Park

Glad I wasn't the only one with this issue!
  21. S

Shifting into Park

Hello, New to the board, have been reading, and searching, so forgive me if I overlooked this. I just purchased an 04 Limited V8 with 50K miles on it. Real nice condition. It has the rear whine only under load, so I know about that. The only other issue is shifting into park...
  22. S

A few general questions

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I am not so worried about the motor or trans, but other things, like front end components, AWD components, rear end components, electrical stuff, etc. Now granted, many of these things can go bad on newer cars with similar miles. I do have limited funds...
  23. S

A few general questions

Hello, I am new to the board here, and not sure about how or where to ask, so I'll start here. I am looking for a used explorer, ~50K miles and stumbled upon a 98 AWD 5.0L Eddie Bauer with 54,000 original miles, that is in pretty good condition The only thing making me think twice about...
Back