Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

94 Explorer CEL. Please help interpret codes

The tach has always worked as it should. Am going to look for a short in the ECM wiring harness. I remember I had a darn mouse make a nest out of the fiberglass insulation for the AC last fall. Maybe he did some damage to the wires that are routed beneath the power box. Brad
  2. S

Thanks for the reply. Found the PCM where you said. Kind of troubles me that the Chiltons manual was so far off in identifing the location. Seems like kind of an important bit of information. Now if I could get some info about the trouble codes. Someone else must have had to fix them...
  3. S

94 Explorer Sport with 125000 mile has been showing 2 codes for a while and I can't figure out how to fix it. This is an OBD1 system. The codes are: 212- Loss of Ignition Diagnostic Module signal to the PCM or SPOUT circuit grounded. 226-Ignition Diagnostic Module signal not recieved. The...
  4. S

Cruise control not working

Check the vacuum hose for transmission fluid. When the moulator on the transmission becomes defective, oil will get into the vacuum lines and also into the intake manifold causing poor performance. Happened on my 94 Sport last winter. Changed the modulator on the transmission, replaced the...
  5. S

2002 has maintenance free 150,000 mile transmission (no dipstick)

I wonder what you are supposed to do if you get a leak like a seal gone bad or cooler line.
  6. S

Transmission?

I just replaced the modulator on my 94 Sport with 97k miles Heres how I did it. I heated up the 3 front and 2 rear nuts holding the cat. converter red hot with a torch then removed the nuts. They came right off. Slide it back out of the way. There was no need to remove the transmission...
  7. S

Chirping noise when accelerating

My 94 does the chirping thing also on cold starts. The sensor was replaced once years ago under warrenty. I am wondering if it hurts anything to just let it chirp. The engine seems to run fine and the chirp goes away when it warms up. By the way, I also replaced the belt tensioner, idler pulley...
  8. S

Auto-hub 4x4 problem

Don, I guess I should say thanks to you for figuring out the shim fix. Thanks alot. Slim, if you have any extra steel shims I'd be happy to take them off your hands. I made mine out of aluminum just to see if they would work. Let me know. Regarding the shims between the bearing nut and...
  9. S

Auto-hub 4x4 problem

Well i just installed the shims as described earlier in this thread and lo and behold my hubs work again. It's been a year since they have worked. Slim you are a genius for figuring it out. That was good analytical thinking on your part and thanks for sharing it. I made the shims 1 5/8" ID...
  10. S

Noise and vibration only in 4x4

You say that the front u-joints are tight. My guess is that is the problem. Tight as in rusted tight. You can go to NAPA and buy U-joints with grease zerks in them. When I replaced mine a few years ago it cured all those funny noises and vibrations coming from the front end.
  11. S

Faulty Firestone Tires kills over 21 people?

Hello all. Went to my local Firesone dealer on Saturday and he agreed to pro-rate my ATX tires with about 12,000 miles on them. He wants to put the Bridgestone Dueler A/T tires on. My first comment was that they are the same company but he tried to assure me they are totally different tire...
  12. S

Whole truck shaking

On my 94 Sport I have the Firestone ATX tires . If there is more than 28psi in the tires the truck shakes like crazy going more than 65MPH. Might be worth checking your pressure.
  13. S

U-Joint help

Doug Open the jaws on your vise about 2 inches, rest the horizontal yoke on the jaws and give the vertical yoke a couple blows with a good sized ball peen hammer. Be sure to pound right next to the u-joint, don't hit the drive shaft itself. They will slide right out. It's much easier to handle...
  14. S

radius arm bushings

You don't have to replace the entire radius arm because of a twisted off shock bolt. Just cut it off flush with an angle grinder the drill out what remains. You can get replacement studs at the car parts store that goes thru the hole you drilled and is held on by a nut on the back side. I wonder...
  15. S

NASTY noise!!!!

My 94 Sport did the same thing. Turns out the u-joint on the right front axle was rusted tight. Probably because of all the salt they dump on the roads up here in the Northland. I replaced both u-joints with ones from NAPA that have grease fittings. There was nothing wrong with the auto hubs but...
Back