Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

No dash, no crank, no start

Fingers crossed that things stay in working order... Explorer is currently running. Had a mobile locksmith come and reprogram the whole system (IC, PCM, BCM, whatever else is all linked) and program our 2 keys and fobs. That went fine, yet upon attempting start we had no crank. Went back to...
  2. H

Zerodevil, did you figure out the fix? The saga is continuing on my end. Had a little time to mess with it just now and put the dash back in. Everything lit up, still no crank. Pulled off the battery cable and swapped out the starter (been meaning to do that for a while now...) had the batt on...
  3. H

So.. as an update. My cluster should be back tomorrow. That will be Tuesday and I will get it on 3/22/19 and I sent it off on 3/7. It was received on the 9th and they called me on 3/15 so weekends were in play. The guy I talked to was the same one I emailed. Throughout the process, communication...
  4. H

As a update to those who may search this in the future.... I bought a bluedriver Bluetooth scanner that reads all the modules ($90-ish on amazon) to pull codes. At the same time I gave the cluster some taps after the battery had been disconnected. When reconnecting everything and putting the...
  5. H

My scanner is a cheap Autel ms300 multiscan. Pulls codes for a check engine light for under $20 on amazon as of tonight. Went through step 1 of the TSB and nothing came up on the dash (mx/reset test). Been working (out of town) so the next steps need a bus reading capable scanner (beyond the...
  6. H

Rcflyer- thanks. I spent time looking through searches before posting this thread, but completely forgot to google TSB’s. My scanner is just a simple/cheap one, so I’ll need to pull out the manual and see how much talking it can really do in the system.
  7. H

2006 4.0 EB Explorer at 140k miles..... About a week ago my wife went out to run errands and came back to tell me this explorer is dead from step one. This vehicle isn’t a daily driver so I initially figured the battery may be dead or some other issue that would be easy to see. The curveball is...
  8. H

Information Screens Go Blank

Ok. Spoke too soon. Both sides this time went out and came back later in the day. Is the PCM updates ALSO reprogramming the IPC or are they separate. When I went to the dealer I explicitly paid for and asked for ALL software "bumper to bumper" to be updated and was told that it was all updated...
  9. H

Fwiw, the updates from ford fixed the issues. Also found out any emojis or symbols (non-letters) in the contact list (phonebook) messes up Bluetooth calls. Once edited, no more dropped or "switching off between Bluetooth and actual phone" calls. Running the 3.10 software for MFT 2 and current...
  10. H

My mistake, not a recall, but extended warranty on the APIM. Since this thread hasn't seen life since May of 2014, TSB 13-9-21 was issued with a software update for the screens. Hopefully that will fix the issue.
  11. H

Side screen blank...APIM related? Hello all, Well the wife and I needed another vehicle and after bouncing ideas back and forth we bought a 2nd explorer (still have a 2006 that serves its purpose). We bought a 2014 explorer XLT with the 3.5 and sync 2 with 14,x.. miles from carmax. I updated...
  12. H

2006 4.0L 100K MX gone wrong

Well picked it up today. So far so good, minus the dent to the checking acct. The part that really is frustrating is not the money or aggravation, but instead the idea that being on top of Mx isn't enough to keep a vehicle running over 100k miles in today's day in age.
  13. H

I thought everything was fine prior, but upon talking with my wife it had been shuttering. Being that she knew I was going to be giving it a "tuneup" she thought one would fix the other. As far as who did the work, that would be me. For fluid I have always used Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF. After...
  14. H

TC and full trans R&R. They stated they could try to fix the solenoid bore first with new TC, but the quote was within 300 of a new TC and trans. $3700 w/tax. Last money being spent on this vehicle beyond an oil change. Done with ford. 100K and done.
  15. H

Brought it to ford. No codes. 2 spark plugs literally "dead". Tech said it was either quality control or had been dropped. NGK plats from autozone. It's at least running right but now the "rumble strip" issue goes to the transmission. Maybe torque converter or a servo bore. Waiting to hear...
  16. H

Gave me hope, but they are correct by the diagram. Did everything 1 at a time to try and avoid that problem.
  17. H

Started out just doing 100K mile mx on our 06 4.0L 2wd explorer and it has turned into a nightmare. Prior to starting this, what was supposed to be easy, task everything worked great. I am not new to working on cars, but this issue now has me completely baffled. Here was the start: New spark...
  18. H

Aux trans cooler install- fittings...

Got it to work with brass NPT fittings just like you did. After a test run everything is only warm to the touch so I'm happy with that. Thanks for the help!
  19. H

Well, finding out the hard way that the aux cooler line is 1/2 inch line and the 11/32 line obviously won't match up. Now I have to find a way to make this join up, lovely. Didn't figure it out until after cutting the line. All the research I did on hoses said 11/32 for the trans lines, but...
  20. H

Thanks for the reply. Is the stock hose 5/8 or 11/32? The kit came with 11/32 and looking online that's the size listed for the 06/4.0.. Thinking about possibly making my life really easy with putting NPT fittings together (create 2 male ends) and have hose clamps to button it all up. It...
  21. H

06 explorer 4.0 with the class III tow package to start.. The explorer already has the factory tow package, which included an aux trans cooler, but I will be towing really close to the limit of gross vehicle weight with the trailer and I am in the heat of the south (95-105 degrees in the...
  22. H

2006 4.0L Supercharger

Thanks for the feedback. I am aware of the total weight/dry weight and we figured 5000 total behind the ex was the max loaded. Unfortunately all the layouts we like flirt with that number or are already over. The question now is a trade for the V-8 or wait until I get a new vehicle in the next...
  23. H

2006 4.0L Supercharger

My wife and I are entertaining the idea of getting a travel trailer and would like to address the towing ability of the vehicle. We are just over 5350# currently with the class III/IV package. The Ex has the 3.73 gears. I noticed the V-8 comes with a much higher weight and would be interested in...
  24. H

Tow Package??

My wife's V-6 has the factory tow package (Class III/IV according to the receiver) and DOES have a tow package. In looking at the spec sheet it appears there were a few tow package options and only the top 1 or 2 also included a tranny cooler + hitch. All explorers have a cooler but that's...
  25. H

Drilled/slotted rotors + ceramic pads. Overkill?

I see no issues with ceramics as I have run them on numerous vehicles. With the correct rotors the fade and dust seems to go away. Before I plunk down the time and money I want to make sure there won't be an issue. The wife just came home complaining her car doesn't stop as well as mine (crafted...
Back