Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

5R55W Fluid Fill

Mine also has a drain plug on the torque converter. Has anybody drained it along with the pan? If so do you fill the pan up, start engine (go through the gears) stop the engine and repeat the filling a couple of times?
  2. A

Help!!! Differential fluid

My driveway is slanted. I think I might use a level on the bottom of the tranny pan itself for that check but that makes the vehicle look somewhat un-level but I think the main goal is the tranny oil in the pan level. The transfer case is at a different slant also so I may try to level it for...
  3. A

Help!!! Differential fluid

I was looking into some measurements and came across a dumb question. When I find a level check none of the guys talk about the orientation of the vehicle. For the tranny I have found a service manual reference to a tool (looks like a level ??) that might be used for the tranny but what about...
  4. A

How to: How To: Transfer Case Fluid Change (Photo thread)

I was looking into some measurements and came across a dumb question. When I find a level check none of the guys talk about the orientation of the vehicle. For the tranny I have found a service manual reference to a tool (looks like a level ??) that might be used for the tranny but what about...
  5. A

5R55W Fluid Fill

6. A

5R55W Fluid Fill

I maybe passed the point of no return but my AWD 5R55W tranny has about 100K miles and has no record of an oil change (Transfer case had oil chg in Jan 2010). I have noticed a slight gear slip now and then. Is it to late to change the oil and get rid of the problem or is it too late and I am in...
  7. A

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

I Got a quick question on the Hub/Knuckle. I know that the whole Hub assy comes together but no mention of the connection to the knuckle. Is there some kind of race type part inside the knuckle? Or possible is there some kind of solid connection betw the hub and the Knuckle and the axle spline...
  8. A

changing rear wheel hub (bad bearing)

I have a 02 AWD Mountaineer and will be replacing the front Hub bearing. All pats store has a full hub replace w/ ABS. Does the Knuckle have any race in it or any like part? Maybe the CV spline goes directly into the hub but would like to know a little more about the spline, knuckle, & hub...
  9. A

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

I would like to find some info on hub bearing and both CV joint noises. I have just replaced the ball joints & tie rods, which where cracked and very loose. This made the steering a lot tighter but now I can hear some humming & quiet growling from the R side. I have read that this is most...
  10. A

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

Had to go back to work today but when I stopped, yesterday, things were going back together great. It figures that last night my wife ask me (she drives it) to also look into a noise that she gets when turning maxed out that sounds/feels like a thumping. The shop said it needed ball joints /...
  11. A

Thanks also Gavin - I removed the Tie rod and will be putting new in/out ones back on. I already pulled the CV boot clamp off and pushed the boot back on after seeing the grease and for now have a lg tie wrap on it until I get to the alignment shop and have them put a metal one on.
  12. A

Thanks BK - I followed what you said and worked great. I was worried about getting the nut loose but was a little too easy (diffidently not on at 160+ft/lbs). I will precede and when I put it back on I will tighten it to max on my torque wrench (150ft/lbs) and then go some more to get at least...
  13. A

I have a question before I proceed. Gavin you mentioned to pop the half shaft out of the hub. How do I start? Was assuming the big nut on the shaft needed to be removed (is this the 250ft/lbs nut). Will the shaft come out w/o taking this nut off? Also I took the CV boot lg clamp of the back...
  14. A

Thanks for the quick info, I will see how it goes.
  15. A

Low BallJoint (02 Mountianeer) 02 Mountaineer AWD - Don't know if I can get a quick reply before 4/18 9am. I have just replaced the upper ball joint. I started on the Lower one and noticed that after popping the joint loose from the knuckle that I didn’t have enough room to pull the knuckle...
  16. A

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

Our O'Reilly's is, lets say greedy here, Upper Arm was $120 for house brand and n/a from Moog (?). I did change my order to all Moog as the House brand didn't has (zert? fittings) . I will opt to chg Ball Joints. Also, can anybody tell me if I can chg them on the car. Can I pull the knuckle off...
  17. A

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

02 AWD Mountaineer. Everything above looks good, but am going from memory, did not look to easy to remove the whole Up Control Arm, does the shaft nuts get left alone and unbolt the arm from bottom side of frame. I will look again. If knuckle is pushed out of the away, can I press out the old...
Back