Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Post rebuild hesitation, rough idle/misfire and codes P0171 and P0340. Lean condition and Cam Sensor????

lots of wiring was deteriorated. I repaired all of it by cutting, heat shrinking and soldering ends. That has eliminated the long list of codes but I still have a rough idle and what feels like a misfire but I don’t get a misfire code. The main code I get is P0171. Sometimes I’d also get P2135...
  2. B

Post rebuild hesitation, rough idle/misfire and codes P0171 and P0340. Lean condition and Cam Sensor????

I have a scan tool but I’m not sure what to look at for fuel trim. I can run live data on my Innova 5610 scanner if that’s what you mean
  3. B

San Diego Mechanic and Code P0171

Hi everyone. Im looking for a good mechanic in San Diego who knows my 07 Ex 4.0. I have an idle issue after installing new heads, gaskets and timing. I’m getting code P0171 and P2135. It has a rough idle and what feels like a misfire. I noticed that when I pull the plug wire from the each...
  4. B

Ford codes 07 Ex 4.0 SOHC. Blown head gasket so I did a full tear down with all new gaskets across the board from the bottom to the top. Both oil pans, heads, and all the other little gaskets in between from the kit. New timing chain kit. Put it all back together and was running like a dream...
  5. B

Serpentine Belt not sitting flush on Harmonic Balancer on 4.0 SOHC

If I pull the timing cover off and reorient the crankshaft sprocket, will I have to retime the camshafts or can I avoid that step and just retime the main shaft to Jack shaft chain and sprocket? I was able to look through the timing cover seal and I could tell that the gear was backwards. And...
  6. B

I replaced the tensioner with another one and the belt is still off by one rib on the harmonic balancer. Beginning to think the timing gear is backwards and preventing the balancer from seating all the back. Side note: The new balancer is definitely better. The last one was wobbling and had...
  7. B

The balancer was bolted down as far as it could go then I torqued to specs with new TTY bolt. 35ft LBs then about 85-90 degrees. But I will check the tensioner.
  8. B

So long story short. Engine overheated on a long trip. New head gasket set. New cylinder heads just to be sure. New timing chains and sprockets and tensioners. New water pump. All gaskets throughout engine top to bottom pretty much replaced since it came with the head gasket kit. By the way...
  9. B

How to: M5R1 Rebuild thread

Well the tranny has 180000 miles on it and its not that smooth with shifting especially from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1. Hasn't been smooth for a longtime. So I assume there must be something in there that would resolve that issue.
  10. B

I'm seriously thinking about doing this. What parts are the likely ones I'll need? I know I need to replace the input shaft because it was grinding 4 years ago at the pilot bearing. Do I need new gears or just bearings or also synchros as well?
  11. B

5spd Transmission rebuild....M5OD

Would you able to repost the pics into your thread? I want to rebuild my M5OD and this looks like an awesome thread but the pics are gone.
  12. B

What type of equipment would I need to accomplish the rebuild? I know I could do this. From the looks of it I could use hand tools for most of it but I would assume that some steps would require a press or some other special tool.
  13. B

Is it possible to remove the input shaft without tearing apart the whole transmission? My pilot bearing was disintegrated when I replaced the clutch and slave a while ago. I had notice that the end of the input shaft had been grinded into because as well but didnt do anything about it and now...
  14. B

Car misfire, then coil pack smoked and then car died

Yeah. I found the CPS pins via a continuity test. Thanks. There's seems to be nothing left in the chain except for the PCM. Do you know if the dealer is the only place that can flash a PCM or do private shops have access to PATS? Just want to find a cheaper way to flash the replacement PCM...
  15. B

Well. I checked the resistance from PCM connector to CPS and they registered in spec. After I had pulled off the CPS connector and then put it back. The Ford started right up and was running smoothly. What could explain that? I am lost here. So because the car started up after removing CPS...
  16. B

Just like Runningonempty said it may be the CPS. How do you test the CPS?
  17. B

What would explain why I'm not getting any signal from the PCM when attempting to start? Before when I hooked up the test light from coil connector to + battery while starting the Ex, I would get a steady blinking but now there's nothing. This is why I think it could be a bad PCM?
  18. B

I will check the CPS. What should I check for here? Also I did the same test with a test light from coil plug to + battery and there was nothing when trying to start the engine. Nothing coming from coil plug connector. I checked the PCM diode and relay and there was power going there. I...
  19. B

My Explorer smells like fuel inside

Did you figure out this issue? I have the same problem in my 98.
  20. B

Still not fixed I haven't had much time to check the Ford but I check the codes and it gave me P0351 time. Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction. Also I've have to move it occasionally for street sweeping and most of the time it runs smooth and then sometimes it doesn't...
  21. B

Bummer Well. It lasted me a good six weeks but now is back at it again. Ii had been running like for this whole time. I started it once and it started misfiring right away. The CEL was flashing. I turned it off and then started it again. It would run smooth for 30 seconds then start to misfire...
  22. B

Read thread #33 . That was my conclusion and solution for my issue. Not sure if there was a ground issue but I replaced and repaired all wiring from coil pack to PCM anyways. The oil leak probably had something to do with the problem as well since it was leaking onto the spark plug wires and the...
  23. B

Ooops I took the air cleaner off the throttle boy and found a paper towel stuck in there. I put it in there before to prevent anything from getting in but forgot to take it out. Possibly some of it got into the engine and was causing the smoke as well since I notice some of it was ripped off...
  24. B

New Issue I unfortunately now have an accelerator that is getting stuck open. The pedal is really loose and when I try to pull the spring arm on the throttle back to the idle stop, it will not go all the way. Any thoughts?
  25. B

The oil did go away after a freeway test drive. And no more coil pack meltdown. My conclusion is that a combination of things were at hand. The oil leak was so bad that it was covering the spark plugs and wires and causing them to not ground properly. I replaced the valve cover gasket and...
Back