Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. FirstExplorer

Adios Amigos

I bought a 17 Ridgeline, nice truck, snobby forums though.
  2. FirstExplorer

Adios Amigos

The new explorer was marketed well and I believe it redefined the whole SUV concept. The dealerships stuck to the overpriced sticker because of demand. We paid way too much, $25,000 drive out in '91 broke the ceiling of car prices.
  3. FirstExplorer

Adios Amigos

After 26 years, I decided to give up my 1991 Explorer. I bought it new in '91, and it has served me well all these years. Every time I drove the Ford I felt it was unsafe. Aggressive drivers treated me differently than when I drove my wifes newer car. It needed lots of work to get it...
  4. FirstExplorer

Drivers seat adjustment bracket question

I am on my third driver seat adjustment bracket purchased on Ebay motors for my '91 XLT Explorer. All of these brackets have just one recline position detent, or it releases to full forward. What am I missing? There should be at least three position slots. Right now my driving position is to...
  5. FirstExplorer

Seats. Trailing arm . Repairs on the spot!

They chirp and make chunking sounds anyway when the Explorer flexes and sways. Rubber is quieter.
  6. FirstExplorer

Seats. Trailing arm . Repairs on the spot!

You get the brass balls award for that restoration. I had all my bushings done before they got that worn. The stock bushings were a rubber that would shrink, get squished, and go brittle. I had urethane performance bushings installed for better lifespan.
  7. FirstExplorer

Whining Noise When Accelerating

You should have no problem finding a good runner. Unfortunately, you may have to cast your net out pretty far and have it shipped, but that could cost more than the truck. Many of these first gens got smashed and melted in Obozo's Cash For Clunkers.
  8. FirstExplorer

Window motor clicks, doesn't roll up

Years ago, my air conditioner compressor clutch would get stuck in the idler position and not kick in to cycle the ac on, so it would blow hot air. I had to stop, get out, pop the hood, and beat the snot out of it with a rubber mallet to get the clutch to get unstuck. I did this for one whole...
  9. FirstExplorer

minor qs

My 2 cents worth: As to the headlight switch, after 25 years bonding with my '91 and my wife, my hand knows exactly where to go. The seats: two hundred and umpty-ump miles, yep, your seats must be shaped like your backdoor. I removed mine and took them to a re upholsterer. There are no springs...
  10. 2055

11. 2057

12. 2050

13. 2051

14. 2052

15. 2053

16. 2054

17. 2048

18. 2049

19. 2047

20. 2046

21. 1991 Original Owner

1991 Original Owner

They Call Me "Truck"
  22. FirstExplorer

need help

I did the same for 3 or 4 years. Fill up, hack the odometer, fill up before 260 miles tick off. Then my kids kept forgetting to hack the odometer, so I finally fixed the sending unit.
  23. FirstExplorer

need help

Yep, sending unit. PITA to fix.
  24. FirstExplorer

I wish I knew, but it seems like you hammered out a solution.
  25. FirstExplorer

There is a gear kit to repair the thing, I just had mine done. The gears are probably stripped and slipping.
Back