Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Took my 4.0L SOHC above 5k RPM

What's PTEC??? I've read that PTEC programming or something is required for a chip to work on 2002.5 and later models. What is PTEC???
  2. D

2wd Axle Bearings Failed at 67k miles!

Our 98 XLT Sohc 4dr with 67k miles has started making a groaning noise from the rear end, as if the differential was dry of fluid. A trusted mechanic reported that the axle bearings were shot. It was full of fluid and the fluid. Has anyone else experienced this type of failure, at this few...
  3. D

Explorer shakes at 60mph

1 word. Shocks.
  4. D

99 CD/Tape Unit WONT Replace 98 CD only Unit!?!?!

I shipped the cd/tape unit back so I dont have the numbers, but it was not a Mach unit. I've seen the Mach unit before and recall it having a RDS button on the front, which the unit I received did not. I checked this against the audio manual that came with our X. Neither unit was a Mach.
  5. D

From Quick Reference for Audio Forum This is where I got the info on interchangeability; From Quick Reference for Audio Forum Interchangeability: Typically it is possible to exchange head units of the same family, e.g., a DIN size Midline Cassette is a straight plug-in in place of a DIN...
  6. D

After reading that 98+ cd/tape premium unit (which was an option on my 98 XLT) would directly swap for my CD only unit, I purchased a 99 cd/tape unit on eBay. Gues what, the installer says no way. He tried it and there are different plugs. What gives???? He says no way are they swappable...
  7. D

Solved Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for!

Lowering softens spring rate I've backed out 4 turns on each torsion bar in an attempt to level my 98 sohc. While the ride height came down 1/2", the spring rate seems overly soft, which does make sense since less pre-tension is being applied to the torsion bar. I've read all these threads...
  8. D

Why BOSCH plugs not rrecommended

DirectHits Ignition.. Is it Any Good? I too have read about the DirectHits system. Does anyone have positive/negative things to report?
Back