Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Roof Racks

Hey guys, I just bought myself a 2018 Explorer XLT. I am going on vacation next week and just realized that the roof rack is not capable of securing my luggage carrier. The rack appears to be plastic and there is no way I could secure a rachet strap to it. Can someone recommend a cheap roof...
  2. B

Good Bye my silver Bullet (03 Explorer)

Well, it was hard for me to part with my 2003 Ford Explorer (Silver Bullet), but I did. I bought her brand new in 2003 and maintained it properly throughout the years. This was the best vehicle that I have ever owned. It was a tank!! It would plow through the rain and snow like no tomorrow. I...
  3. B

65 mph and Over vibration

I have a 2003 explorer xlt and it has had a loud vibration noise for years. Recently the vibration noise is becoming louder. Has anyone experienced a loud vibration coming from the front end while traveling 65 mph and over. The noise does not happen below 65 mph. The front bearings are newer...
  4. B

Opinion on 2007 Explorer

I am asking for some input on a 2007 explorer with 144,000 miles. The transmission has issues and slips. It has the signs of the dreaded servo defect but there is also a whining that sound like a power steering pump when motor is running. I suspect that problem is the torque converter and a...
  5. B

Passenger Front CV Axle Shaft

I did not have a problem getting mine out when I replaced both of them. I used a pry bar on the edge of the shaft and hit it with a hammer. After a little wiggling, it popped right out. There should be nothing holding that CV in from what I recall because the shaft is a spline. This was...
  6. B

(HELP) Still having problems in need of some good answers

William, before you spend all kind of money, download forscan and buy a module that is compatible with the software. Forscan software is free and it will read and program most of the computer system functions. You will not have to bother your friend anymore because you will have your own...
  7. B

Parking brake cable diagram

I started this thread many years ago and the main cable just broke on my explorer just in time for state inspection. I practically had to rip apart the dash and remove the fuse box to replace this front cable. It was a 2 day job and very time consuming. Reassembling those parking brakes is...
  8. B

Whats this noise? Help please

You posted that you replaced the back brakes but nothing was mentioned about parking brake. I had a similar sound today and narrowed it down to the parking brake. The parking brake cable expander that is inserted through the backing plate was not positioned correctly causing the brake shoe to...
  9. B

Thanks for the replies. I know how to put the parking brakes on but I am looking for a service diagram of the parking cable layouts. I replaced all of them a few years back and this is my 3rd cable that broke since I have owned the truck. I want to review they layout of the CABLES not the...
  10. B

Any of you kind gents or ladies have the diagram for the parking brake cables, and instructions for replacement? Thanks bizzs
  11. B

2003 explorer limited

Search google for Burping a coolant system. It is simple... Are you sure your problem is not the actuator doors? I had a similiar problem with my 03. I ended up finding a rear broken actuator and antifreeze leaking from the rear heater core. Good luck bizzs
  12. B

Forscan and Pats Use

There is a sticky that I started on forscan. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/pats-key-sucsess-thanks-forscan.432028/ Read this and I think this post will answer all of your questions.
  13. B

03 Explorer 4WD front end vibration /steering wheel shudder

Check the wheel bearings. They are notorious for going bad. I replaced mine with timkens about 4 years ago with no problems to this date. bizzs
  14. B

Need help no fuel not start

Honestly, your problem sounds like a bad fuel pump if the hoses keep blowing off. The pressure seems to high. Test the pressure and see what the reading is. Is the pump new? IF it is, there should be a warranty on it. I would return it and get a replacement to see if that solves your problem...
  15. B

Solved PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan

1. Yes 2. I had one key and I erased it with forscan and reprogrammed the original and 3 others without any problems 3. Some of those knock off elms are not compatible with the explorer. Use the ones that Forscan identifies. I bought mine from amazon costing under 20. 4. Windows 7 and 8 worked...
  16. B

Need help no fuel not start

I would suggest to test the fuel pressure at the rail, but you disconnected it with no pressure. If you have a snap on solus, you can manually turn the fuel pump on and off without cranking the motor to see if you have pressure. I have troubled shoot a bunch of fuel pumps and your info...
  17. B

Rocker panel assistance

I handled this project with the assistance of my 76 year old father who retired from doing autobody and mechanics many years ago. I did not want to bother him, but I could not find dog legs anywhere that extended up into the wheel well. I was reluctant, but I brought him out of retirement for...
  18. B

My OBD2 scanner can't connect to ECU, but Autozone's can

I think you pretty much answered your question. Check out Forscan software and the compatible adapters. The software is free and it offers many test functions that are in range with my Snap on Solus.. bizzs
  19. B

04 Ex mystery shake/knock

I would check the upper and lower ball joints and control arm bushings and tie rods. If your feeling it in the steering, I suspect one of those being the culprit.
  20. B

Front rear lower control arm bushing replacement help

03 explorer failed pa inspection for lower front rear control arm bushing on driver side. Is there a sticky somewhere showing how to replace it? I disassembled both ball joints, spindle, cv joint and stabilizer bushings. I could not get the bolts to break for the strut or the front control arm...
  21. B

2002 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLT 4.0L 6cyl SOHC->Engine not getting gas

Check voltages at pump and fuse
  22. B

P0401 and losing coolant

Yes. I did this repair to my 03 explorer. I had a leak at the same location and it was the rear heater core. The metal pipe was rotted out at the joint. You need to buy heater hose and clamps. Cut the rotted piece off and splice the new piece in. I replaced the entire length out to the...
  23. B

Rocker panel assistance

I have a 03 Ford Explorer xlt and the Rocker Panel on the both sides are rotted. Does anyone know an easy fix for this without getting into welding and serious body work? I was wondering if there is some easy slip on panel and if so, where could I purchase one? My truck is solid as a rock...
  24. B

Voltage question

Thanks guys for all the replies. Voltage was at 11 volts and motor stalled out when cables were removed from battery. I replaced the alternator and voltage increased back up to 14.9 volts charging the battery. Installation was about 15 minutes and problem was solved. The Alternator was...
  25. B

Voltage question

2003 explorer xlt. Wife was driving truck and said that the gas gauge went to "E" and voltage dropped to "L". The truck was still running and she pulled over because the motor had no power. She shut truck off and tried to restart but it just clicked finding battery dead. I think it is the...
Back