Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Changing plugs in a 4.0 from Autolite to NGK

mystery deepens! The Autolite AP103's that were in it aren't even listed for my 4.0! I had a remanufactured replacement engine installed by a engine shop 80,000 or so miles ago after I bought the truck. it had a bad motor in it when I got it. The AP103's are the plugs that were in it. Wonder...
  2. F

O'Kelly's, Amazon, even on the NGK web site
  3. F

Changing plugs on a 2006 Explorer 4.0 replacing the original Autolite AP 103's with NGK TR55-1 V-Power plugs that are listed for the engine. Question the NGK's have 3/16 longer threads and electrodes than the Autolites. I went ahead and installed five the 6th only went in part way and stopped...
  4. F

Clunk sound when backing up??

I know also have the question on the 06 to 10 forum
  5. F

Clunk sound when backing up??

My 06 XLT clunks from the left rear only when backing up and using the brakes. Why only in reverse when braking? Even does it when on jack stands. Have had it apart can't find the problem.
  6. F

Trans fluid drain and fill

Its a 2006 XLT with the 4.0.
  7. F

Trans fluid drain and fill

I drained the fluid by removing the 22 mm fluid level plug when the truck was cold without dropping the pan. Trans was rebuilt around 50,000 miles ago figured the filter should still be ok. reinstalled the plugs it sat for a hour while I got more fluid could not get more than one and a half...
  8. F

2006 trac & 4x4 on& not moving

Just pulled the ivd module fuse and the vehicle drives fine, ignoring the associated warning lights of course. Just wondering how to isolate the problem. Also heard the scanner I ordered may not work to check the ABS system, looks like most of them out there don't either.
  9. F

2006 trac & 4x4 on& not moving

I have another thread about this problem wanted to post an update and question though. After backing up putting the Expl in drive the trac light flashes and now the 4x4 light comes on (no ABS light though) It then does not want to move forward almost like I'm on the brakes and the gas at the...
  10. F

06 lurching in drive & Trac. light

Also now the 4x4 light comes on , it goes out if I push the 4x4 auto button and it feels almost like the brakes are on. Strange! Could the transfer case shift motor be a problem?
  11. F

Ordered a scanner. I just checked the Expl. again and noted after I backed up then started forward I heard a clicking noise coming from somewhere in the front and it would not move also the trac light came on and off. Did finally get it back in the garage. Any Idea's Who knows with the slow...
  12. F

Tone rings are fine. Have to get/borrow a scanner I guess.
  13. F

On a 06 XLT 4x4 4.0. I was backing up out of the driveway got a couple hesitations, when I got to the street and put it in drive (2 wheel) it sort of went into and out of gear and made a clunking noise then the traction control light came on. I was able to get it back to the garage after the...
  14. F

New Clutch

Yes I know. I was not aware the 4 door was even available with a manual.
  15. F

New Clutch

Don't know if anyone is interested but I have a brand new clutch disc pressure plate hyd throw out bearing and slave cyl. for a 2003 Explorer or Ranger. I got it from Southland clutch in Cal. the only place that has the 'correct" clutch for this application. Bought it to change out a clutch in a...
  16. F

stuck in 4wd low

On my 2003 Expl, sport with a manual trans, when I tested my 4wd for winter [switch on dash] it at first would not go into 4wd but after a few tries it went into 4wd high. I then tried 4wd low it went right in but will not come out of it. I tried shutting the truck off and on etc witch did not...
  17. F

Front driveshaft noise

Does the CV joint have a rod or plunger that extends into the driveshaft that might be dry?
  18. F

Front driveshaft noise

On my 2003 sport there is a squeeking noise comeing from the front at low speed. I also have a humming at high speed and a slight vibration that all started at about the same time . I jacked the front up and found the noise comeing from the middle of the front driveshaft if I rotated the tire or...
  19. F

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

I finally got the inlet lines off by forceing a 5/16 removal tool in and pulling back on the lines[it was not easy]. The clips on mine are diff, than on the instructions, they are smaller and would not move, but I got the lines off. The outlet was the tough one with much prying , twisting...
  20. F

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

On the inlet side of my 03 Sport the lines have a green clip on the top and two tiny holes on the bottom that you can see the green clip through. I tried useing a small screwdriver in the tiny holes to push up but no luck!Tried prying the green clip off just makes a mess of the plactic clip. I...
  21. F

List of Useful Threads Everything I know about the M5OD-R1 & BW1354M

Thanks for your reply! Yes I have the HD R1. The 2002- 2003 Sport chassis is just about the same as a 2nd gen, model. I have the 4.0 V-6. I'ts just that when I looked up the shifter on Amazon to order one It said it fit the Ranger with a R1 trans but it would not fit the same Ranger with a R1...
  22. F

List of Useful Threads Everything I know about the M5OD-R1 & BW1354M

Hi: Hope your still here to give me some info. I have a 2003 Expl. Sport 2door with a factory manual trans,. Does my Expl, have the R1-HD trans, or the R1 ? I want to install a Hurst shifter for the Ranger and was told that it would fit. But I was told by Hurst that it won't fit the R1-HD trans...
  23. F

Short Throw Shifter

I wouldent look for them but for a elderly parent who has a hard time getting in.
Back