Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 3

Oil pooling between heads (and many other issues)

I am curious as to the leak location as well. Mine is has been doing that recently as well and hoping it's a simple fix. Not really interested in taking the upper manifold off if I don't need too!
  2. 3

Should I supercharge or turbocharge?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwivjoux1oPTAhUM2mMKHQV8DdUQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmodd.me%2F&usg=AFQjCNFuey0B6Kpr4W0G4InZahWZdbM3Bw&sig2=0uIBulAP_W22NaAVLhL9rQ&bvm=bv.151325232,d.cGc
  3. 3

2005 Explorer. Broken shifter, part name, availability

Dorman part #905-104. Any auto parts store should be able to easily get one for you without the need to get an entire steering column!
  4. 3

Electric Cooling Fan

I did it on my 04 a couple of years ago with thermostat controller, Volvo relay and fan for less than a hundy! Works great and it keeps everything nice and tidy. One thing that has not been mentioned is that this mod takes that weight directly off the front of the water pump, helping that last...
  5. 3

Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!!

This just happened to mine today! Thank god for this thread and that Dorman part!
  6. 3

4.6 Transmission Solenoids

Watch this video! Hope it explains it!
  7. 3

Coolant leak remains after replacing thermostat housings and sensor

I just replaced the lower coolant housing on my 04 a week ago with one from Advanced Auto. The sensor seemed a little loose to me as well, but so far it is not leaking. Will keep a closer eye on it now that I know there are updated sensors!
  8. 3

Stuck Thermostat?

I just replaced my thermostat about a month ago for the same reason. Only would come up to the one quarter mark on the factory temp gauge and did not blow vey warm out of any vents. It is super easy to change 'em though! Probably the easiest one I have ever changed. Took all of 10 minutes...
  9. 3

75w140 Redline for rear differential?

Yes, the Redline 75w-140 does have the friction modifier in it! That is the stuff I am using in the rear of my Ex! And you can always get some if you do not feel comfortable with just changing the fluid!
  10. 3

Entry keypad and cruise control

No idea on the code buttons, but on the cruise control, there is a switch on the top/front of the master cylinder that often goes bad. It is used to cancel the cruise when you step on the brakes. It is very simple to change.
  11. 3

VIN history check

You can get a very comprehensive one through your insurance agent! Called a CLUE report. Much more informative than car fax or from a dealer! Usually free!
  12. 3

04 3.0 dohc no heat

Has heat to both hoses! Surge tank is also at the proper level! There is also a second door that is controlled via linkage that the actuator controls that is in good working order as well. I checked that when I replaced the actuator!
  13. 3

04 3.0 dohc no heat

I have a 04 Taurus that has no heat out of the hvac. Already replaced the blend door actuator, has heat to the heater core, and a/c blows nice and cold. No change in temp no matter where I set the temp control knob on the dash, and what dash position I set the vent selector too, and the fan...
  14. 3

Fix for Throttle Lag

Has anyone done this to a telescoping throttle pedal? Those are mounted differently that the fixed position pedals! Wondering about the easiest way to get the pedal assy out without having to remove the telescoping part, as well as the brake pedal since they move together. :popcorn:
  15. 3

Aftermarket exhaust 4.0

I had a Magnaflow put on my '04. It sounds just a bit throatier than stock, but is a good kind of throaty. Not ricer obnoxious or raspy. I had a local muffler shop put in on with a chrome tip for $250. It is the stainless one and should last quite awhile, since I live in Wetter Washington, we do...
  16. 3

2005 Explorer thermostat opening late. Replace it three tiimes.

This may seem like a stupid response, but are you also checking the t-stat before you actually install it? By placing it in a pot of boiling water with some type of thermometer to check the actual temp opening of the t-stat?
  17. 3

Rear Window Explosion

On my '04 as well! Had it replaced for about $250 installed near my home at a local auto glass company. Just need to get the panel paint matched. If you look around, you can get it replaced and paint matched fairly inexpensively. I had estimates ranging from the $250 for the one I got to $1800!
  18. 3

Location of 04 ecm

Done the search and getting nothing, where is the ecm located on a 04 4.0 flex fuel? The thing will barely start and run, has a rough idle, then stall out after a couple of minutes. Can not pull codes with my code scanner for whatever reason. Code scanner does work with other cars, so I am...
  19. 3

How to: How to: Replace Sway Bar bushings (frame only)

I had to use a oxy/acetylene torch to blow the ones that broke off on my Ex! Fished a couple of bolts through an access hole on the side of the frame and it was back together in a couple of minutes.
  20. 3

Roof Rack, Remove or Keep?

I removed mine! It cleaned up the lines a little, and it took a little bit to get used to looking at it! It does not take more than a couple of minutes to remove and to put back on if you don't like the way it looks with it removed!
  21. 3

Rear wheels clunk when spun in neutral, what to check?

Sounds to me like a u-joint. They can actually "sqeak" as well when going bad and create a vibration at certain speeds which you did not mention! But these X's have solid mounted third members, so the vibration may not exist with them! :scratch:
  22. 3

Cruise Control Inoperative Diagnose

I did not have my X in '07 when this thread was started, so I do not know if that recall at the time would apply to my '04 or not now? It is a simple enough diagnosis, but I see your point, the masses are not willing nor capable of doing these simple fixes themselves!
  23. 3

Cruise Control Inoperative Diagnose

Great tip! I noticed saturday that the cruise control was not working on my '04. Did that jumper test and low and behold, cruise control worked!:D Picking up that sensor this week when I get paid! This board and guys like you are a godsend makuloco2000! :salute:
  24. 3

Rims with tpms vs rims without tpms.

:salute: Thank you! :D
  25. 3

Rims with tpms vs rims without tpms.

I have an '04 that I need to buy one of the aluminum 5 spoke sparkle 16 x 7 rims for it since I had a flat, put spare on, them some one promptly stole that one tire and rim. Is there any difference in these rims other than the tpms valve stem, and are they indentical there? Meaning, can I use a...
Back