Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Questions for those who have used Herculiner.

As always you people are a wealth of information. I like the spray on liner idea and it wouldnt be a problem as I own commercial grade HVLP spray equipment. What kind of prep work is needed to spray over the factory paint? Just rough it up and clean?
  2. M

I should have known that this would lead to this, :D. Sorry to bring back bad memories Gerald. I wasnt aware that there was a rubberized bumper paint out there. I will have to look into it.
  3. M

I was considering herculining my factory running boards, rocker panels (up to the body trim) and bumpers with herculiner. I would like the runningboards to be textured for added grip but I would like the rocker panels and bumper to be smooth. I like the idea of protecting and blacking out the...
  4. M

Totaled '91 XLT 4x4. Should I pull off some parts before junking it?

I would pull off all the parts that arent totaled. Anything that isnt too hard to pull off would be worth parting out. I would imagine it should take a few weeks for it to be picked to shreds:) You might even want to be nice and donate some parts to my "cause", LOL cause I dont have any money :)
  5. M

How do you get to your Roof Basket with 5.5" + of lift??

The tire step looks like a cool idea...that is unless you forget it was on there and drive away (something I would do) :)
  6. M

rear antilock brake question

ok...let me see if I can explain. My X came with factory rear antilock brakes. When turning the ignition key all the warning indicators come on then go out (as they should). When driving I have no warning lights lit, and everything seems fine. The problem is that in rain or snow the antilocks...
  7. M

good point and thanks. This truck was owned by my wifes grandfather who lived on coastal waters the entire time he owned it bu I have had the front brake lines replaced> Is it safe to assume the had to replace all the brake fluid when they did this job?
  8. M

Painting roof bar thingys

All the black parts on my 91 were faded, so I painted them. The mirrors and wiper arns were the worst.
  9. M

TSP is trisodium phosphate (SP?). It is great for removing crud and wax. Alcohol doesnt really remove wax and all the other stuff we put on our vehicles when cleaning them, mineral spirits (paint thinner) is actually better at desolving wax than is alcohol. TSP is usually in powder form and...
  10. M

I figured the light would come on because the antilocks dont seem to be functioning. I remembered someone posting about cleaning this sensor so I figured it would be a easy/cheap place to start. The light and fuses are fine so time to dig deeper. I hope its not the abs controller as it seems is...
  11. M

I repainted mine semi-gloss black. they were all faded. I removed them from the truck. I seperated the cross bars from the pieces that slide in the track. Pull the rubber "bumper" out of the channel. Make SURE all wax and dirt is removed by scrubbing the parts with TSP (available at most...
  12. M

Decals and stickers

Rear window top = KA3CXS (ham radio callsign) in 2 in white letters Rear side windows = Business name and phone # in 2in white letters. Im planning on installing limo black tint to add some privacy and make the letters pop. Rear bumper = left side, American flag...right side, "A...
  13. M

Thanks for the great pic. Hmmm...I thought it would have been mounted on or near the rotor but your pic shows it mounted to the top of the rear diff. thanks again.
  14. M

I did a search and did not find what I was looking for. I remember a post on this board about rear antilock brakes not working and there being a sensor on the rear brakes that detects when the brakes are about to lock. Can someone tell me (pics would be even better) where this sensor is...
  15. M

1991 rear intermittent wiper

A relay does just as the name implies...it "looks" for voltage to be applied on one circuit and turns on (or off) another circuit. and example would be a "switched" outlet on the back of a stereo amplifier...when you turn the amplifier on the outlet on the back turns on another device like a fm...
  16. M

I can't believe I was that dumb

As far as I know windshield washer is just water with a little solvent (alcohol possably???) in it to lower the freeze point and some color to identify it as washer fluid. I dont think that small percentage of solvent will cause any problems.
  17. M

Erratic fuel pump relay

thanks opera house...I will have to check out the current across the fuse. Im getting really frustrated with it. DOnt know why ford decided to make this circuit "always hot". Guess it was one of their "better ideas". I still kinda like the idea of a hidden switch to kill the power to this...
  18. M

Erratic fuel pump relay

Ok, so Im on my third fuel pump relay. Sometimes when shutting the engine off it works as it should, sometimes it "hangs" for a few seconds (1-15 sec.), but lately with the cold weather Ive had to resort to opening the hood and giving it a whack bafore it will disengage. All wiring seems intact...
  19. M

gas gauge dont work no more

good info countryboy...I have had the same problen for over a year and havent done anything about it because the shop wanted $350 to replace the sender/float. I have been just using the trip odometer as a guage. I refill at 200 miles and reset the trip od, LOL. Anyway, nobody has mentioned...
  20. M

transmission sluggish till warm

temps have been around freezing with wind chills below 0 for about a week now. Seems to me that the colder it is, the worse the problem gets. I didnt consider the fact that the viscosity of the atf would change, I guess Im just not letting the X warm up enough. At least I hope thats all it...
  21. M

transmission sluggish till warm

I had my transmission rebuilt about 9 months ago and all seemed fine, but the last few days Ive noticed that it is slipping on really cold days. Today I put it in reverse to back out of my driveway and it sat there while the engine revved. I put it in park for a few minutes and let the truck...
  22. M

Replacing plug wires -- how?

Why not just cut off the old boots and pull the old wires out. Then new wires can be either run in a different manner.
  23. M

Thermostat/water pump problem?

Could it really be something as simple as a radiator cap?
  24. M

Alec...are you kidding me?
  25. M

yes...engine warms up and runs fine. It just doesnt seem like there is a change in level in the over-flow...doesnt matter if its cold or hot, the level is staying the same.
Back