Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Crank, no start

Sure thing. Now I have a back up fuel pump at least.
  2. A

Crank, no start

Solved! It just needed gas. It was reading 1/4 of a tank. Poured 3 gallons in it; fired right up. I'm an idiot.
  3. A

Crank, no start

The crank sensor is less than 3 years old (I replaced it while tracking down a high idle). And it can only be mounted in one way, the way it was designed. What do you mean by re-seating the connector?
  4. A

Crank, no start

Yes; the check engine light works. I just went out to verify; when I turn the key to the ON position the "CHECK ENGINE" light is on. When I crank it, the "CHECK OIL" turns on, but the "CHECK ENGINE" light turns off. What is an Ignition Interference Capacitor?
  5. A

Crank, no start

92 (94 motor) 4.0 5 speed. I am dealing with a crank but not firing issue. Put in a new fuel pump and fuel pump relay with no luck; when I went to poke around under the hood to check other connections I found this broken wire. Can anyone tell me what this is or where it goes? It looks abnormal...
  6. A

94 ex surges with IAC plugged in

I'll be interested to hear what happens!
  7. A

I had my IAC unplugged too when I went through the same surging issue. I'd just put my foot down on the gas while it was warming up. I still think you should drain the computer completely via the positive and negatives together and put an ECT from O'REILLY. There really aren't many things that...
  8. A

When you put in new electric parts take out the battery and put touch both battery wires together for 5 minutes. It completely drains the capacitors in the ECM so everything can be relearned; nothing stored to interfere. First Gens are extremely "dumb" when it comes to CELs and malfunctioning parts.
  9. A

Any update? I bet the Coolant Temp sensor did the trick! Anytime my 92 does it that's my first go to. Cheap and easy. Aftermarket parts are hit or miss. Master Ignition from O'REILLY seems to be the most dependable.
  10. A

I've had outdoor surging issues in my '92 5 speed. A replacement coolant temp sensor has always done the trick to get it back to normal. I thought IAC too at the time, and replaced with a Motorcraft part and once I figured out the surge situation it actually idled around 750-800 again; closer to...
  11. A

I've had outdoor surging issues in my '92 5 speed. A replacement coolant temp sensor has always done the trick to get it back to normal. I thought IAC too at the time, and replaced with a Motorcraft part and once I figured out the surge situation it actually idled around 750-800 again; closer to...
  12. A

Fuel pump assembly

I noticed there's a plug on the return line at the end of the assembly inside the gas tank. Does that plug need to be removed? How does the fuel return?
  13. A

Working on a High Idle

Understood. I'm going to try picking one up tomorrow. Good maintenance at the very least. There could be something to this since cold starts are rough (IAC UNPLUGGED) but once it's warmed, idle is normal. I drove to and from a meeting, at least an hour, with IAC UNPLUGGED, and idle was steady...
  14. A

Working on a High Idle

I shook the PCV and it rattled. I didn't run it with it disconnected though. Cleaned the PCM harness under the alternator, tightened the BB vacuum hose (pushed it further up on the intake). Still bouncing. Then... No IAC connected and it's a smooth idle.
  15. A

Working on a High Idle

So my tube looked good. But the bottom section of the rubber piece that fits around the end, under the hose clamp, up to the TB is pretty gone. I need a new regardless. Any idea what those are called? Tightened it up as best I could. Still bouncing. No IAC connected and it's a smooth idle.
  16. A

Working on a High Idle

Hi everyone! 92 4.0 Standard. So I'm chasing down a high Idle. After replacing the fuel pump, TPS, ECT and CKP sensor there isn't much change. It starts fine and wants to drop to normal idle, but then it jumps up to 1300-1500 RPMs. I decided to try pulling sensors and started with the IAC valve...
  17. A

Pissing coolant from passenger side

I think I found the source. Up front, slightly to the passenger side, above the water pump (didn't look wet) there is a lot of coolant coming out. Head gasket, lower intake?
  18. A

That valve is on the interior side of the firewall? When I did the heater core replacement 8ish years ago I remember just two openings from the heater core for the hoses to connect to. No "valve". Coolant just circulates through it.
  19. A

92 OHV Standard. Noticed a BIG wet spot underneath my truck after work. Radiator was basically empty. I topped off the radiator, started it without the cap on, got underneath and noticed a steady stream of coolant leaking somewhere from the passenger side. All the hoses are connected right and...
  20. A

xlt 2wd with manual trans bucking

Sorry no replys! Mine 92 manual just started this. Intermittent high idle and a bucking feel while in gear but off the gas. Cleaned MAF, IAC new air filter. Thinking maybe TPS. ECT sensor less than a year old too.
  21. A

Intermittent High Idle

I'm having an idle issue. My 92 5 speed had a wicked high idle, like it would hang at 2000 cold and slowly dropped as it warmed up. Changed the coolant temp sensor, thermostat and fuel filter and now it'll randomly idle at 1500. Sometimes it's normal, sometimes it'll get that cruise control...
  22. A

Head scratcher need some brains picked...

Did you get this figured out?!? I'm having an idle issue too. My 92 5 speed had a wicked high idle, like it would hang at 2000 and slowly dropped as it warmed up. Changed the coolant temp sensor, thermostat and fuel filter and now it'll randomly idle at 1500. Sometimes it's normal, sometimes...
  23. A

HELP! Fuel issue..

Indeed I did put the rail back on the right way! Much better. I am going to tear it down again and replace at least that one injector; I had them all out in about 30 minutes.
Back