Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Helper Springs Cure Sagging Rear End?

Putting on shackles depends on your amount of rust. I had alot of rust but those things came right off...maybe an hour on those. I did all 4 of my shocks in about 3 hours...just fighting rust and space
  2. D

Wheel Bearing Replacement Yet Again

Learn from my mistakes. I bought the ebay cheap replacement parts so I could redo my entire front end at one time. I didn't have alot of cash on hand to but the appropriate quality parts. So now one at a time I am replacing tie rod ends ball joints and I am sure to be replacing hub bearings. To...
  3. D

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Just turned 100K in my X. It's seen new exhaust, brake lines, front end rebuild and just about every suspension piece replaced. If I could get PA to stop putting salt on the roads I may be able to keep it forever...
  4. D

Good times

Hahaha...that sucks. I just went out to pull my upper passenger side and didn't realize the set bolt on the end didn't need moved. Sheered the head right off. A bit of a set back you could say
  5. D

Good times

I don't really need any help today. I am replacing upper and lower ball joints, wheel hubs and a driver side cv axle. I chose this weekend because the weather wasn't gonna be that bad. I got the passenger side all done except the upper ball joint yesterday. Today I get snow and lots of it. My X...
  6. D

Problem with power switches

Thanks fellas. I tracked down the window problem..broken lb/bk wire between the door. Battery light has gone out. Now my driver's side door will not unlock or open. I managed to manually pull the door lock up and unhooked my door lock actuator so it doesn't auto lock. This has all happened...
  7. D

Now to add to my problems my battery indicator light is on. The battery is only about 6 months old and my gauge is showing a full charge...what the hell is going on with my electronics?
  8. D

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna pull the door panel tomorrow to fix a pesky door lock actuator so I will get at the window switch and get the multimeter on the wires. I'm hoping to not have to replace the multi function switch but if that's what it takes. I was initially excited when I checked...
  9. D

So the other morning I went to clear my windshield with my washer fluid and it wouldn't spray. This switch is already hinky so I thought I would just go without. Now yesterday my power windows ceased to function from the driver's side door. Passenger window still works with that switch. Also the...
  10. D

I thought I got them from www.justsuspension.com but I can't find the email for the rears. I may of got them off amazon but I can't find them now for less than $80. I can tell you I really love the way they perform. They are Monroe 58617 SENSATRAC
  11. D

Stumped

So I dug into my motor for another wire and plug change. I pulled two cracked plugs and one split wire out of my truck. It's running pretty good now.
  12. D

Clicking Sounds after changing spark plugs

What's the infamous cam click? I think I may have the same prob after tensioner change...I caught this post after having the same problem click after changing driverside tensioner and plugs
  13. D

Stumped

So since swapping out my driver's side hydraulic tensioner my X has been sputtering when trying to accelerate up hill. At the same time I swapped plugs and wires. Yesterday I pulled my plugs and wires to inspect and check the gap and things got worse. I currently have a top speed of 50 mph...
  14. D

For $50 I put on a set of Monroe load adjust shocks. My factory shock were shot anyways. They leveled out rear end nicely without adding a harsh ride. With adding some warrior shackles I got about 3 inches of lift (only about an inch and a half over factory height).
  15. D

Replacing CV shaft

So I got this all put back together and I still have noise issues...my cv's seem to move alot...about a cm in and out and my ring and pinion seem to have alot of play...am I looking at a rebuild? I know this front dif is not the original. The dealership I bought it from had it installed and I...
  16. D

Replacing CV shaft

Thanks for the reply...I'm doing everything I can to separate these things. I get a little movement.. Gotta love cut and dry jobs that last 3 hours...lol
  17. D

CV Axle Replacement How To (Pictures)

So I'm deep into replacing my cv axle but i cannot separate the cv axle from the inner half shaft...as I pull the cv it pulls the half shaft out...Any tips?
  18. D

Replacing CV shaft

So I have had a gremlin in my front passenger wheel for a while and have replaced about everything...today I'm doing the axle. Upon removing the cv axle the axle half shaft is pulling out of the differential. Is this normal? I'm familiar with solid axle set ups but this is my first independant...
  19. D

Cant get the fuel filter off!! Help!?

Thanks for the advice. I'm most likely not getting the tool in far enough so I will give your tip a try...
  20. D

Cant get the fuel filter off!! Help!?

I'm in the same battle with my filter. I've on two separate occasions have attempted replacing my filter with no success. I have no problems popping the front end of the line off but I cannot for the life of me remove the tank side connector. I have sprayed it well with PB blaster. I think my...
  21. D

Sound from driver's side of motor

The sound is non metallic. It honestly sounds like the ball in the pcv valve jumping in its housing. I think its a vacuum problem. I'm almost positive it came about when reinstalling the upper intake manifold. I don't have an inch/pound torque wrench so I had to convert the values for my...
  22. D

Little help with tensioner

This is definitely a new noise. Its not an injector. It sounds like one of those clicker toys or one of the clickers paratroopers used in WWII to identify themselves to other allied troops. I also have noticed an occasional miss when I hear the noise, but not always
  23. D

Sound from driver's side of motor

So I replaced the driver's side hydraulic tensioner on my '98 yesterday. After putting it back together I now have a clicking noise coming from that side of the motor. I can't peg down the exact source of the noise but it is a usually a series of inconsistent clicks. when it click it doesn't...
  24. D

So I got the old tensioner out...new one's in and sounds alot better. Now I have a clicking or tapping noise thats coming from between the exhaust and the ignition coil pack. I don't have any arc from the wire to the engine. I would hate to have to tear this apart again. Any ideas?
  25. D

Cool...so it looks like I got the right part...but someone put the wrong one in before I bought it... Budz as far as I know thats the best way...I've heard others say dropping the tranny will work...either way its a big job...
Back