Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

2006 6R60 transmission / torque converter issue

I may just have the fluid/filter changed for peace of mind.
  2. V

Manual says to change at 150K under normal conditions. I pretty much never let it run out of lockup, so the fluid should be OK. Plugs were done at 75K. It's not a misfire; it's absolutely cycling in and out of lockup.
  3. V

Recently, my '06 (bought new, meticulously maintained) with 130K miles has developed an issue where it goes in and out of TC lockup every second or two, at steady throttle around 1,500 rpm. Happens in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears. Fluid is original, but is clean, and most shops say not to change...
  4. V

Slow coolant loss on V8

Argh. Not the answer I was looking for :mad: Appreciate the quick reply!
  5. V

Slow coolant loss on V8

Mine's leaking from where the lower hose attaches to the "Y", as well. At first I thought the plastic clamp just wasn't holding sufficiently any longer, but now I'm wondering if the "Y" is cracked. What was it on all of yours?
  6. V

Buying advice: 2009 or 2010?

I'm 6'2". Tons of headroom (no sunroof), and I don't have to put the seat anywhere close to all the way back. I've done 500+ mile days in it; it's really comfortable. I bought it new. Has 92K on it now. Aside from oil changes and tires, I've done one set of brakes, a battery, and aligned...
  7. V

2006 Explorer V8 4WD Gas Mileage Woes

Idling to warm up, you're getting 0 mpg. That's going to affect your average :D My wife drives ours around town. We don't let it warm up - just drive it gently 'til it's warm - and it gets around 12 mpg. On the freeway, it's a whole 'nother story; it'll get 21 mpg all day long at 70 -75...
  8. V

Driver side exhaust manifold v8

It's likely a cracked manifold and/or a broken stud; if it was a gasket, it would make noise pretty much continously. This issue's pretty common... do a search.
  9. V

Is a K&N worth the money?

I've run K&Ns in all of my cars, trucks, street bikes, and dirt bikes, for over 30 years. Noticeable improvements in some instances, not so much in others. Had engines go over 200K with no oil usage, no performance decrease, and no discernable wear. I don't know anything about Amsoil...
  10. V

Best tires?

Toyo Proxes S/T II. I got 45K out of the last set, which were previous generation. Reasonably priced, stick really well.
  11. V

what performance mods

Gibson. I had Magnaflow on my '97 Cobra, and also on my '96 Ex 5.0 for a short period. Hated it. More drone than Flowmaster, and not nearly as good a tone. I put the Gibson on the '06, and like it a lot. So does my wife; she drives it more than I do. Great tone, no drone, relatively...
  12. V

De-Badged?

+1. I took the three "Explorer" emblems and the RSC emblem off immediately (bought it new). Left the V8 emblem on the tailgate. Much better!
  13. V

Inadequate Heat in '06 Explorer XLT?

My '96 put out more heat than I could stand. In the '06, pretty much nothing happens to the left of 12:00 on the dial. It warms up quickly enough, but the knob always has to be cranked farther than I think it should be. Also, the way the air flow to the feet has been moved is not optimal...
  14. V

any lowered 06 explorers??

Care to elaborate as to how you did it? I've spoken with a bunch of aftermarket manufacturers since over the past couple of years. Last I spoke with Eibach, they said it wasn't going to happen (this was a couple of months ago). Ground Force said the same, as did Belltech, though they listed...
  15. V

Replacing the plastic on exterior...

I looked into doing this on mine, as well. You can't just remove the trim, because it will leave visible holes. The replacement trim is big $$.
  16. V

Anyone have a Gibson System?

I don't have any pics. I'll take one/some when I have a chance. The exhaust looks just like the photo in the first post. It's all 3", with a 3 1/2" tip, that exits behind the left rear wheel, nicely tucked in.
  17. V

Anyone have a Gibson System?

I've got one on my 2WD V8. The pipe goes straight back from the factory "Y", so you should be able to figure from that if it'll clear the transfer case on yours. I really like it. I've run most of the aftermarket systems out there, on one vehicle or another - Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Borla...
  18. V

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

I couldn't get a soft copy of the TSB, but I had a buddy of mine that works for Ford fax me a hard copy. It reads almost identically to #07-23-2, but it obviously loads updated software. The first line is, "This article supersedes TSB 07-23-2 to update the Service Procedure."
  19. V

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

Went to the dealer for the 07-23-2 update. When I picked the X up an hour later, they told me the TSB had been superseded by #08-3-8. I didn't get a printout of the TSB, so I don't know what it entails. I can say that the jerk on the 2-1 downshift is gone, and it holds the gears longer...
  20. V

Getting either a Explorer V8 or Expediation 5.4

Story of my life ;) On another note, that CHP 'stang is pretty cool. I bought an '86 5.0 notch new. Couldn't stop it, with those miniscule 10" rotors, but it was a hoot otherwise.
  21. V

Getting either a Explorer V8 or Expediation 5.4

It might be heresy to suggest this on this forum, but I'd suggest c - none of the above. I'd go for a Tahoe. The LS engines are superior in power and economy to the mod motors, and the '06 and newer Tahoes are way nicer than an Expedition, as well.
  22. V

Should I buy a new X?

I had a '96 2WD V8 with a ton of mods. Still ran and looked great at 182K miles when I sold it. Needed something with a 3rd row, so opted for a new '06, also 2WD V8. The '96 is like a stone axe in comparison. Though I liked its styling and the smaller size, the new one is quicker, and...
  23. V

Cat, muffler, and piping replacement

The factory headers on these engines work well; there's no reason to change them. There is no "main cat", there are just the two on the headpipes. The big thing before the muffler is a resonator. The pipe is 3" before the resonator, 2 3/4" after (if I remember correctly), and the tailpipe is...
  24. V

Heater producing enough heat?

Here, too. I notice I also have to crank the temp dial to at least 12:00.
  25. V

Owners with kids: Child seat question

Mine's 60/40 on the second row, and it has the third row option. It's really tight to put two child seats side by side, but it can be done.
Back