Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. X

How to: Make Oil pressure gauge perform like "real" gauge

Bringing up an old thread again... My oil needle (96 XLT V8) suddenly went to about 1/4 of the way up, max, instead of it's normal middle of the gauge position. Brought it in for an oil change, thinking it was low, and that temporarily fixed the problem. 3 days later, the water pump bearing...
  2. X

96 Ex head unit replacement - illumination wire question

Now I see why everyone says it's not worth the effort. Couldn't find what I wanted in the installation area, and didn't feel like running extra wires. Advice from me - get a head unit that lets you preset the brightness of the display, then set it somewhere in the middle like I did. It's low...
  3. X

96 Ex head unit replacement - illumination wire question

I need to verify my suspicions.... Factory radio in Ol Blue finally became unusable. I'm replacing the bezel at the same time. It was shot too. I've installed radios before, but it's been a while. Got the kits from Crutchfield, and a JVC KDX40 (no CD player, but just pop in a USB stick and...
  4. X

Speedo works but odometer doesn't? I fixed mine..

I have the same problem, odo hasn't worked since I bought the vehicle. I can machine the worm gear out of either brass or polycarbonate stock (Plexiglass). Would either of those materials work better? And I can't really see in the picture, is the shaft of the motor keyed in some way, or is it...
  5. X

96 XLT radio bezel + radio question

Long time since I posted this or lurked about in here, but I'm finally getting around to getting the ol gal fixed up. Been driving it for the last 2 years since my last post, and only put tires and oil into it. Think I'll keep it. Ordered a replacement bezel (25 bucks shipped on ebay). And I...
  6. X

I'm kind of afraid to pull it all the way off because it does go back into position with some urging. It feels like it stays connected at the bottom, but it does not "click" or "snap" into anything at the top. I can sort of wiggle it back into position where it stays, but there is still a gap at...
  7. X

Earlier, i was curious about how to get it out. I have no done anything, no repairs, no poking about, just one day I was going down a bumpy road and the whole dern bezel, radio, ac controls and all, nearly fell out. It was then that I noticed there were some cracks, and the vents were kind of...
  8. X

2fer= broken odometer + AC

I think it may be for the factory add-on rear AC. I just realized the rear controls were back there. What can I say, I have a house and no kids. No reason for me to be back there.
  9. X

There's something interesting under the hood. I have some mechanical knowledge, I've fixed my own cars in the past, but there's something new there. It's a factory installed (according to the sticker on it) option. It's a big cylinder that goes from the condenser (I think) down to the front near...
  10. X

OK, tried to recharge the system, It'll hold 35-40 just fine, but it sounds like the compressor is not kicking in *grumble*. It's more than I can deal with at the moment, so I'll have to punt on this issue until next week. Thanks for the help. edit: While I'm gonna be farting around under the...
  11. X

So I have the 134a system already? 2 different mechanics told me different. Looks like I'm going to have to do some further investigating. And yes I know about the gas mileage thing. It's a big honking vehicle. Makes it worse that the circuit board that goes inside the right control on the...
  12. X

Bought a 1996 XLT V8 (Explorer B engine) with 227,000 miles on the broken odometer. With the busted odometer, I'm worried about doing something stupid like overextending the oil or missing maintenance. I do my best to change the oil at regular intervals, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it at 2k or...
  13. X

Cajun on board

Bought a 1996 XLT V8 (Explorer B engine) with 227,000 miles on the broken odometer. I've put a fuel pump and an EGR valve in it in the year I've owned it, and I can't complain. I've got an 80 mile round trip commute, and though the gas prices give me indigestion, the fuel pump issue was the one...
Back