Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

Last month I sold my '02 Explorer with 206,x.. miles. Transmission was never serviced, not even a fluid change (not that I recommend that).
  2. K

How many K on your explorer and what repairs recently

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L -206K miles and the original alternator failed.
  3. K

Puddle Lamp Lense Help!!!

The same thing happened to me when I changed the burnt out bulbs, the plastic lens on the bottom shattered. I just used an old CD case and a hefty pair of scissors to create a new clear lens. Then I attached the lens with a tiny amount of clear silicon caulk. Start by creating a paper...
  4. K

How many miles on original 3rd Gen Tranny?

Currently at 201,x.. miles ('02 XLT V6) and the transmission still has never been serviced. Shifting is getting a bit rough under hard acceleration, but nothing too serious. This has been a very reliable vehicle for the last 12+ years. I live in the rust belt (Minnesota) and the first signs...
  5. K

Highest Mileage 4.0, V-6, Explorer

I have on '02 XLT 4.0L at 198K miles. Oil changes done every 5K miles, spark plugs changed at 105K miles. Other than regular maintenance items (fluids, serp belt, etc.), the only engine work done was changing the DPFE sensor ($50) somewhere around 75K miles. The transmission has never...
  6. K

195,200 miles on '02 XLT 4.0. Transmission has never been serviced in any way. Ford recommended a flush at 150K, but on the recommendation of members here, I didn't touch it. For the last ~3 years or so, I've been getting an occasional hard shift, but nothing major. Lots of highway miles...
  7. K

Advice on buying used '09 XLT with low miles

I'm looking at buying a used '09 XLT 4.0L 4x4 with 34K miles. It appears to be in excellent shape and well cared for. Can anybody advise on any problem areas I should be looking at during a vehicle examination and test drive? I currently own an '02 XLT 4.0L 4x4 with 178K miles that has been...
  8. K

Clicking noise in rear cargo area driver side

I am having the same problem (clicking from rear actuator). Has anybody found a thread with detailed pictures of the repair? I found one link (http://redassaggie00.blogspot.com/2007/11/my-first-technical-post.html), but the images are gone. Thanks,
  9. K

How many miles on original 3rd Gen Tranny?

I have 173K on my '02 XLT that still has the original transmission. The transmission has never been serviced, not even a fluid change (not that I recommend that). If I accelerate hard (over 3,500 RPM) the shifting gets a bit rough, but otherwise seems to be fine. The brakes/tires should be...
  10. K

2002-05 Positive feedback

It has never been serviced and still has the original fluid. If I could turn back time, I would have changed the fluid every 60K miles, but at this point it would probably do more harm than good (that is another long debate). Since this transmission is sealed, Ford recommends that the fluid...
  11. K

I have an '02 and from these forums it would appear I've been fortunate not to have any transmission issues with 168K miles. I don't know what improvements have been made in later model years.
  12. K

I have been very pleased my 4.0L XLT, I'm at 168K miles and vehicle has been very reliable. I've been hit with a few problems, but the list is pretty short for a 10 year old vehicle. 70K miles: rear blend door in HVAC system (clicking noise) 110K miles: replaced wheel bearings 140K miles...
  13. K

Transmission Flush

Thanks for advice, I'll skip the transmission fluid change. The service tech put my VIN number into his computer and it clearly showed 150K. I'm not saying the answer is right, but it is what my dealer is advising. My plan is to replace the Explorer at 225K (when my tires and brakes will need...
  14. K

Transmission Flush

My Ford Dealer told me that my sealed transmission ('02 XLT 4.0L) is recommended to be flushed at 150K (they hook up at the cooler lines). I'm at 155K miles now and have never had a problem with the transmission. Should I get it flushed or is it a waste of money ($199) ? I've heard mixed...
  15. K

2002 XLT with 155K on original transmission with zero transmission problems. Wheel bearings replaced at 110K, rear springs replaced at 140K (one broke). Knock on wood, but this has been a very reliable vehicle for me the last ten years.
  16. K

How many happy 3rd gen owners do we have?

I have been very pleased my 4.0L XLT, I'm at 147K miles and vehicle has been very reliable. I've been hit with a few problems, but the list is pretty short for a 10 year old vehicle. 70K miles: rear blend door in HVAC system (clicking noise) 110K miles: replaced wheel bearings 140K...
  17. K

Michelin Cross Terrain OR LTX M/S2 ?

Update: I've been driving with four new Michelin LTX M/S2 for the last week. I only have a couple hundred miles on them, but they are very quiet and grip well on wet roads. Also, the tread appears deeper than the OEM Michelin Cross Terrains tires. My local Ford dealer price matched...
  18. K

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get the LTX M/S2 tires. The quote I received was for $816 out-the-door after a $70 Michelin rebate.
  19. K

My '02 Explorer XLT is in need of new tires before the snow starts flying here in Minnesota. I was planning on getting Michelin Cross Terrain tires again, since the last two sets each worked well for about 75K miles. However, the local tire shop suggested the Michelin LTX M/S2 are somewhat...
Back