Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Neutral Safety Switch

Has nobody ever had to replace this? It seems like someone out there has had to at some point. Thanks.
  2. B

Neutral Safety Switch

Hello all. Got an issue with my daughter's 2002 Mountaineer V8 AWD. It seems I need to replace the neutral safety switch as the starter won't engage with the switch unless you use a remote starter. The anti theft light is acting like normal good battery and it starts like normal with the remote...
  3. B

Replacing rear diff in 2002 explorer

The gearing is the same, so therefore nothing with the computer has to be changed.
  4. B

Anti-theft system removal, how?

I looked this up a while back and it appears the only way to get around the PATS system, at least on my 2001 Sport and fairly sure on yours also, is to buy a programmer -- $350.00 and up. Reprogramming the computer is the only way to get around it.
  5. B

1999 Explorer SOHC Tensioner Update

You can get one for the front or rear as the washers are the same. As far as cost go, I can't comment on that as I did my replacement myself. These parts aren't too hard to replace, you can get all the info from this forum. If you have some mechanic ability, you can keep some of your hard...
  6. B

98 explorer XLT 4L timing chains

If it is running ok but just rattling, then more than likely it's one or more of the 4 timing chain tensioners, which depending on which one has broken, can be difficult to change. Unless you have a good deal of mechanic ability or know somebody who works for cheap that does, I'd pass on it.
  7. B

1999 Explorer SOHC Tensioner Update

I'm not sure about the price, but the rear tensioner does not include the crush washer, at least mine didn't. The 00M12 kit did contain the crush washer.
  8. B

Keyless Keypad Code 01 Exp.Sport

In my 01 Sport it was in the back just to the front of where the jack is supposed to be. I had to pull the panel out beside the back seat and use a good flashlight to see it but it was in bold numbers on top of the RAP module.
  9. B

Anyone running 265/75/16 tires without any type of lift???

I've read that they will fit on the Sports without any kind of lift due to the larger wheel wells, but don't think they will on a 4 door without trimming and/or some lifting. Maybe someone will chime in that's actually tried it. I'd like to try them on my Sport next time I get tires.......
  10. B

Replacing Timing Chain

I went through this about a month or so ago and yes my balance shaft chain tensioner was gone also. I have read about every post on here concerning how necessary and unnecessary the balance shafts are to these engines actually running smooth and reliably. My Sport has 146000+ miles on it and I...
  11. B

codes 0171/74 intake!! mainifold HELP

If it's the 4.0 SOHC and you're that far, it's just 12 more bolts and simply remove the lower intake. My gaskets were flat and my cold idle especially is better. Watch torquing the bolts as it is plastic.
  12. B

P0302 & P0174, Rough Idle

When I did my intake gaskets I did not remove the tube from the intake. I unbolted the tube at the EGR valve since I could get to the bolt that holds the bracket onto the head. The tube was undisturbed and I didn't even move it when I bolted everything back up. Could try spraying some WD40 or...
  13. B

P0302 & P0174, Rough Idle

I also have a 2001 Sport and even though I haven't check my codes, mine sounds like yours. Runs fine but idles rough. I also have replaced the intake gaskets, which helped with cold idle, adjusted the TPS, cleaned my MAF and IAC, cleaned the throttle body. I haven't had much time to diagnose...
  14. B

Timing Chain Noise

I didn't buy it I traded a 1995 Toyota Camry with 215000 miles on it and needed work even for it. Given that everything else except the factory stereo and drivers outside door handle works and works well, I am hoping with little cash outlay I can make it into a decent vehicle and still come out...
  15. B

Timing Chain Noise

I have just acquired a 2001 Sport with 145,000 miles on it. I have a diesel clatter coming from the front of the motor. I have read on here and other sites about it being timing belt tensioner and/or guide issues. One thing I don't know is how long it's been like this as the person I traded...
  16. B

Hello All!!

Hello everyone! I just traded for a 2001 Explorer Sport. 4.0 SOHC, automatic, most of the goodies, but some bumps and bruises. It has 145,500 miles on it. The only thing I know is wrong with it is the dreaded timing chain tensioner problem. The chain seems to be making a decent racket...
Back