Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

Can this '95 Explorer make it across the country?

If it has been maintained, I don't see why it would be a problem. I sold my '95 last year with 284k miles on it. Still was running and driving fine. My last trip with it in 2018, I drove 3500 miles to southwest Utah from Iowa and back. At least four 10,000 foot mountain passes on that ride...
  2. N

how do you fix driver and passenger overhead lights

One thing I found with my '95 Explorer, was that the replacement bulbs I found, weren't really quite the right size. Like slightly too small. I had a lot of intermittent trouble with them as a result, because they weren't making good solid contact.
  3. N

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

I sold my '95 Explorer Limited last month with 284,794 miles on it. Still rolling.
  4. N

No torque converter lockup. No ideA

I've had the thermostat replaced, and I think my problem with this is fixed. It kinda did it one day, but since then not.
  5. N

No torque converter lockup. No ideA

from post above - "Some engine controls will inhibit lock up and OD engagement. Coolant temp, MAF, knock.sensor to name a few" I have recently been having unlock and lock repeatedly at times when I see no reason for it such as a hill or such. I have also noticed recently that I think the...
  6. N

Interesting to see your repairs. I bought my '95 new, and it has 280k now. Have had the rusted brake line, control arms, tie rods, ball joints, 7 tranny flushes, an inside door handle, 2 window motors. But I have original exhaust, although last hangar is broken, so a little wiggle on end of...
  7. N

Turned to 280,000 on my way home from Utah. Up and down at least four 10,000 foot mountain passes on my trip. I'm kind of thinking while it's still a good vehicle, maybe it is getting too old and high miles for my hard road trips.
  8. N

AUX Input for 1995 Explorer w/premium sound

Since I first got my ipod, I have looked for a way to use it with my '95 Explorer Limited, which has the premium sound system. My first try was with an adapter that worked off a cassette tape adapter thing. Sound worked yes, but within about two minutes, the auto reverse reversed about 3...
  9. N

Turned to 271k on the way home from Montana Thursday. A good trip that added 4000 miles. Awful smoky out there though.
  10. N

I'm at 267,000 and rolling good! Had to do work on front suspension, ball joints, tie rod ends, and parking brake this year. Have had difficulty with RF window. Motor was replaced because supposedly it was weak. A few months later problem reoccurred, occasionally won't go up from a full down...
  11. N

My 1995 Limited Black Beuty is at 263,000 mi. It had to have a little front ball joints, and tie rod ends, and a window motor this past summer. Otherwise it had 3 nice roadtrips this past year. Went to Virginia, then to Michigan, then to Colorado.
  12. N

Highest original parts mileage

turned out to be a U-joint. That and an EGR and it's on the road again, hit 253,000 over the weekend.
  13. N

My whine from the rear end turned out to be a U-joint. That and an EGR valve, and my black beauty is on the road again, sounds and runs normal again. Turned over to 253,000 on a trip this past weekend.
  14. N

Highest original parts mileage

I'm at 252,800 now, and fearing I have rear end trouble. A growling whine noise started about 5000 miles ago, could only hear it at 70 and above. Recently have started hearing it at speeds like 35-40. Ugh, I fear the worst.
  15. N

both on the back. front pads have been replaced once.
  16. N

Quarter Million now My '95 Limited black beauty, hit a quarter million miles (250,000) on Sunday. I got it detailed a couple weeks ago in anticipation of that event. It's glowing! I bought it new, with 39 miles Oct 24, 1995. It's had very little done to it beyond routine maint. Probably...
  17. N

Mine hit 247,000 a couple weeks ago.
  18. N

When I filled up yesterday, my '95 Limited said 245245.
  19. N

How to: Overhead console display fix - 2nd Gen

I'll bet this is the problem with mine. Yesterday was first I have noticed mine going out. It was intermittent yesterday, and some odor of electrical.
  20. N

Driver door adjustment

I recently traded for a 1999 Ranger XLT Supercab 4 door. The driver's door sags just slightly, so it's doesn't always shut on the first try. When you open it, as it slides off the latch, it drops just fractionally. I've looked at the bolts and they all seem tight, so don't know if there is a...
  21. N

Safety Recall -Speed Control Deactivation Switch

Yes, if it is in the included group of vehicles. Recalls are regardless of age/miles. In fact my '95 was fixed 3 years ago, when it had 221k on it.
  22. N

How/Turn off interior light - hatch open

Tried this with mine, and it did not shut the lights off.
  23. N

Michelin LTX MS or AT2?

I got a pair of LTX M/S in the second Firestone recall. I ran them 135,000 miles. They still had more tread on them than alot of those lil car tires, but I had hydroplaned a bit on a real rainy day, so decided it was time. When I went to the tire store, they had some LTX M/S, and I said oh...
  24. N

Seat Belt Receiver Removal

I had a bad dealer experience with my '95's driver seatbelt. I described as best I could that the belt would come unbuckled, and the latch button didn't really pop back up fully. I thought surely they would test it to see what I was talking about. At the time, I presumed you had to buy the...
  25. N

Ford Explorer factory subwoofer help is needed.

It's a bit of work to take that whole side panel off. I had to buy the right size torx drive for the right rear seat belt removal, as I didn't have one that big. The wiring to the two boxes behind the panel was a lot of spaghetti too, and initially I couldn't figure out what was what. It took...
Back