Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

What does this Brake Light mean?

Ok, I've had my 1991 Explorer for over 2 years and I've never seen this light till a couple weeks ago it popped up. For a while it would just come on occasionally and I would just shut the engine off and re start and the light would stay off for a while. But, yesterday it came on and won't go...
  2. M

Back door won't open from inside

Mark, that is the problem. Thank you. I straightened the rod and it worked once or twice, then if I hold the rod so it doesn't bend it works just fine. But, the rod is so weak that it won't stay straight. Guess I'm gonna have to get one from the junkyard. Any tips on how to disconnect it...
  3. M

Back door won't open from inside

Ok, on my '91 the left rear door won't open from the inside. I have already made sure the child lock was off. I pulled the door panel off to look at it, but I can't see very good in there to figure out how it works. Anyone had this problem before and can give me an idea how to fix it? Do I...
  4. M

Help! Anti-freeze in over flow tank boiling!!!!

You might want to replace the Radiator cap. As I understand it, the higher the pressure the higher the temp coolant boils at. So, if your cap is not holding enough pressure you will boil over even though your temp gauge is showing fine. I had a similar problem when I bought my Explorer, and...
  5. M

Can I hook fuel pump up direct? Permanently?

ok, I got it figured out.... Start from beginning, I cut the wire coming from the inertia switch and hooked it directly to fuse block. Later, I put a rocker switch in between. Then, I cut the wire going to inertia switch and crimped a male spade connector to it, allowing me to disconnect the...
  6. M

I've done this, but it don't seem right. It will run ok, but is very hard to start. I usually have to crank it a bit, stop, crank a bit, stop, crank some more till it finally starts. But, if I just start cranking, I can crank till the cows come home and it'll never start. Has to have those...
  7. M

Ok, went to the local pick-a-part and grabbed a relay. Popped it in, hooked up the wiring back to the way it is supposed to be, and she cranked up and ran just fine. For about 2 miles. Then, sitting at a traffic light she died and would not start till I hooked the fuel pump back up to my jimmy...
  8. M

Ok, even though I am getting 12V at the relay? I don't have another relay, but I can go grab one from a pick n pull.....
  9. M

ok, I found the wire. It's the light blue/orange wire on the diagnostic connector. I grounded it out, and everything is the same. I am actually fluctuating from 6-8V.
  10. M

I was testing it with my Wife turning the key on and off for me. Do you happen to know what contact to ground for this to work? Also, I just pulled the ECM out and removed the cover and everything looks great, inside and out. Connector looks great. I can see no problems at all with the ECM.
  11. M

Ok, I know it's been a while, but I have been too busy to look into this and so it still doesn't work. Today i checked the Relay. There are 4 wires coming from the relay. One is a ground, and the other is a constant 12V. The other 2, a red one and an orange/black one. Both of these two are dead...
  12. M

So you are saying that the system is designed to shut the pump off at times even when engine is running? That's what I was wondering. I will check the relay as soon as I get opportunity. Hopefully Monday evening I can get a chance to do that. I am assuming I just check to make sure one of...
  13. M

I didn't know that. Thanks again.
  14. M

The relay is clicking. I always assumed that meant it is working. Am I wrong here? Ok, I will look for that. Thanks, Turdle.
  15. M

Ok, here's my scenario. 91 Explorer has been having trouble with fuel pump not working. Usually if I keep trying it will work after a bit. Finally just quit altogether. I just replaced fuel pump (cut hole under seat method worked absolutely wonderful!) since I know fuel gauge was out and it...
  16. M

Rplace Blower Motor?

Ok, my 91's blower motor is weak, very weak. If I turn on HI it seems more like Low on other vehicles I've owned. I searched today and found the thread about trash getting in the housing, especially near the resistor. So, this morning I pulled mine off and found it perfectly clean, minus one...
  17. M

Converting to Manual Hubs, what am I doing wrong?

After tax it was $24 and some change for both of them. I paid $40 for the Mile Marker Kit on Ebay. But, the seller has already agreed to refund if I return them. I will have to pay return shipping, but at least I get Spicers for less than the Mile Markers. Rotor spins just fine. Let me ask...
  18. M

Thanks for the input Tbars. I was hoping you would chime in. I checked my bearings, they were fine, so I repacked them and put them back in. My rotors seem fine, no warpage noticed when braking. And I am using stock tires. So, I should be ok....
  19. M

Ok, thanks to everyone. Apparently I just had a defective lock washer. I went and bought the Spicer 28068X ones today and using them everything worked real well. I had no more trouble. So, finally got my manual hubs and I feel like I have a real 4x4 again. Thanks for the advice. I...
  20. M

Well....maybe so.....just thoght I'd make sure.... While reading thru some threads here I caught wind of others having this problem and having to modify the "nub" via welding. But, search as I may, I can't find any solid info on this.
  21. M

Thanks for the response, MrShorty. I just got back from a place local here called 4West with a couple sets of Spicer 28068X kits. I am going to try those. But, the fellow behind the counter told me that he didn't think I needed to torque the outer nut to 150 ft lbs. He thought that was just...
  22. M

Ok, after some looking around and consulting here on the forum, I decided to buy a set of Mile Marker 428 hubs. Reason being is that I don't do any hard core off roading, just mainly snow in the mountains and occasioanal sand at the ocean. Anyways, I also purchased the Mile Marker...
  23. M

Need advice on buying manual locking hubs

Hmmm... I have thought of that. But I was giving benefit of the doubt that the hubs would mess up without harming splines. I will look at them. So, you are saying that even used Warns would be just as good as new Mile Marker, or better?
  24. M

Need advice on buying manual locking hubs

Ok, I have a 91 with the auto hubs that is having issues. I recently took them off and cleaned them, only to discover that one of them was broken. So, I bought a used one from pick-a-part, cleaned it, and put it on. Now, my 4x4 works sporadically. Took it to the snow a few weeks ago and the hubs...
  25. M

Auto locking hub is broken. Will it still work?

thanks Tbars, I guess I should have done that first. I "think" the ones I was looking at were just missing the cams. But, how do I know for sure?
Back