Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

2001 Ford Explorer fuel pump won't turn on.

When you put the key in the ignition and turn it to the run position, does the PATS anti theft light go off after a second, or is it flashing at you? Reason is, that PATS on some models interrupts ignition, and on other models, it interrupts fuel pump power. I know, because I've had to bypass...
  2. F

5r55e - Using IDS & VCM to troubleshoot no 3-4 shift

Well, since it pisses me off to no end when people don't post follow ups when they get a resolution... I had performed the band adjustment over a year ago to try to troubleshoot this, but that torque wrench was a deflection type, and had seen better days. Apparently it was off sufficiently...
  3. F

Finally changed EPC solenoid...results

Yeah, but for the money to the average DIY mechanic, not very justified to spend the extra on that when your IDS already costs so much, and you can use a cheapo $100 netbook to do the same thing. You could buy 7-10 of those for what I've seen the low range toughbooks go for. If it can take a 20...
  4. F

I don't have access to the IDS I was using anymore, but off hand I'm going to say probably not. I can't give a definitive answer except to say that when I replaced the PCM I had to download the reflash programming that was specific to my VIN, and if you switched trannys to a manual when your VIN...
  5. F

Actually, I believe we did pay $2200 for the VCM & IDS, but you can use any laptop with it. You don't need their toughbook. I used an Acer Aspire notebook from WalMart. And part of that money was recouped in selling off the older NGS tool which are getting cheaper by the day...and by advertising...
  6. F

What does the passage of time have to do with anything? The threads still exist, and people can still find them in search. You made a technically inaccurate statement, so count on someone in a forum dealing with technical accuracy to maybe point something out if so. Don't get ass hurt about it...
  7. F

No, I assumed that people would say what they meant. You said it could do everything the dealer tool could...and the plain fact is that it can't. I would assume that anyone who knew enough about these computers wouldn't be foolish enough to make such an exaggeration, so I'm letting you know...
  8. F

I'm going to have to second the fact that you don't know what you're talking about when you are saying that this thing does what factory scanners do. This might be a really good tool for shade trees to read all kinds of codes and even data log some items, but it can't do what can be done on a...
  9. F

2001 Ford Explorer fuel pump won't turn on.

what do you mean doesn't "come on"? In order to program a key, the locksmith needs to be using a scan tool like an NGS or T-Code, etc. There is a security time out to gain access to the PCM and from there a key can be programmed. If you have one good key, you can add additional keys by...
  10. F

I honestly never got any help here on this, not even when I pm'd the guys who are supposed the be the gurus. I never did figure out what it was, but something very strange happened on a particular hot day some months ago...the tranny started shifting again normally at least up to 4th. No OD, but...
  11. F

Fuel pressure too high? Pressure Regulator?

On my 01, the FPR is mounted to the pump/float assembly in the tank, and there is a device similar to a FPR on the back of the DR. side fuel rail, but that is apparently a fuel pressure "dampener" to absorb shock of high fuel pressure hitting the rail.
  12. F

You can get the IDS software download for free at motorcraftservice.com. You will need to buy a Ford VCM unit to plug in to use it though. Since I can't seem to get any replies from the "gurus" to any of the threads I've started, even after PM'ing them to please have a look...I'm giving up here.
  13. F

OK, well that's a good point, but I can tell if the VB is "tired" based on where it leaks, and I can do the wet air test as described in the Transgo troubleshooting guide. That means I'm not going to be totally ignorant as to whether the VB is worn out. Ideally, a new VB would be nice and more...
  14. F

Thanks, but no. I'm not going to drop money on a reman valve body right now. I'll drop this one and do the TSB seperator plate and shift kit fix first. No need in buying valve bodies right off the bat if I don't have to when I could just rebuild this one myself. I'm going to the stealer to get...
  15. F

I'm from a small town in Texas, and Ford dealerships even around here have NGS. They might not have the IDS/VCM/VMM, but most still have an NGS. My cousin buys the best **** though, and sold the NGS for dirt cheap about a year ago and bought this. It's not the software that costs the most money...
  16. F

Well....I guess I'll just consider this to be another blog post. I hear there are supposed to be transmission experts in here, but I can't ever get them to answer my posts or welcome me. So, using the software and dealer scan tool, I was able to determine that all shift solenoids are...
  17. F

My bad. the PCM was from an 01. One I had looked at from another seller had "04" written in grease pen across it, but was the same P/N.
  18. F

Shifts and idles now smoother than it did before it caught on fire last month ;-) Just won't shift past 3rd. The PCM is the same part number as my original and same catchword code YL5F-12A650-CC and TTY2. The guy I bought it from on ebay might have mislabeled, but they labeled it as from an...
  19. F

00.5 Sport 4.0 SOHC 5R55E 200k+ Using my cousin's laptop running IDS and a VCM. Just replaced fried PCM with same PN and calibration code TTY2. Old PCM was not giving reference voltage to TPS, etc. Was having flashing O/D light and up-shifting issues about the time I was troubleshooting...
  20. F

THEFT light flashing on 99 Explorer

no it doesn't. If you run too much ****, eventually the alternator can't keep up and you spend too much time discharging the battery. You wear it down enough times, and it fries a cell and won't hold a charge. That's why a lot of high electrical demand custom jobs require dual batt/alternator...
  21. F

Running Rich - ?'s about the FPR

Hey, before you condemn the intake, I read a warning not to clean them, that those plastic intakes come from the factory that way with a special coating that traps debris so it does not enter the cylinders. It's supposed to accumulate that ****, but you may want to get a new one if it's really bad.
  22. F

5r55e No auto shift out of 1st

Well, I figured out the problem is most likely the PCM, but before I could replace it, the thing caught on fire...........now I have to replace melted: fan serpentine belt fan shroud intake plenum boot MAF TPS EGR vacuum line Y line from the intake to the EVAP canister? Possibly the intake...
  23. F

Transmission is not shifting. It has a rough idle.

If you checked the TPS according to the useful thread on that and it passed, then you are getting the PCM reference voltage at the TPS and I would not suspect the PCM too soon. I would look to other common problems first.
  24. F

Transmission is not shifting. It has a rough idle.

Have you had a resolution?
  25. F

Running Rich - ?'s about the FPR

I'm not sure about the OHV, but on the later model 4.0 SOHC there is no FPR, but there is a "fuel dampener" on the back of the fuel rail on the driver's side, which is supposed to soften "water hammer" type noise I guess. The FPR on mine is essentially a check valve attached to the fuel pump...
Back