Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

My 1993 Aerostar lacks power above 50 MPH.

Make sure your converters aren't plugged....
  2. J

1997 Aerostar XLT 4.0L E-4WD with multiple electrical issues.

Well.....try this.......go to some internet auto parts place,.....look up timing gear sets for the 93 and the 97.......or go to your local Napa,autozone, etc........get them to look up parts......see if they are the same......that might (I say might) tell you what you need to know.......
  3. J

i understand that......it is a mechanical connection with the camshaft through a chain.......so...that existed upon startup..over a year ago..and it ran fine....now it's not....but the gear set is the same as a year ago....teeth gears, chains and cams maintain their positions until stretch and...
  4. J

how does a motor run fine for a year with a "different" timing gear set....and then all of a sudden doesn't run fine because of a "different" timing gear set.....i think you need a different mechanic........like previously stated, you've got other problems that need to be addressed seperately...
  5. J

How do I check upper ball joints?

The wheel will show movement if the wheel bearings are loose, they may not be worn......but with 200,000 miles, and if the bearings have never been checked,repacked, and tightened it might be time for new ones......you will need to replace the races also...... But for now, tighten the...
  6. J

Radiator replacement.

I keep my receipts......walked into my advance auto 3 years ago to replace my lifetime muffler purchased about 10 years before......was told, um sorry Corp. Headquarters had emptied the computers of purchases before a certain date.......I smiled and said, as I pulled out my receipt, that's why I...
  7. J

Solved Converter lock-up engagement/disengagement.

Remember, if you do this, your brake lights will be delayed coming on, or not at all
  8. J

Solved Converter lock-up engagement/disengagement.

I don't know what all sensors the computer uses to send signals to the tcc..but I know there is a signal sent from the brake switch.....if you tap the brake pedal while driving, does the clutch disengage then engage?....if so, there is one very small chance that maybe the brake switch adjustment...
  9. J

Check your fan. You might be spinning a stick of dynamite.

Looks like my old one......it appears they crack for no reason
  10. J

Solved Lockup.

Yep... understand your dilemma......the tap test will just let you know if the tcs is disengaging and engaging the converter lockup....it's not 100 percent test.......how bout if you pull the connector off the tcs and then go for a drive.
  11. J

Solved Lockup.

Be sure your plugs and wires are good. If they're bad, it will mimick your cap and rotor problem. My tranny was doing what yours was, and it was bad plug wires.....and try the brake pedal tap test, that will test the tcc...also try driving the van in a lower gear and see if the problem still...
  12. J

Solved Lockup.

R u trying to change settings, or diagnose a problem.....if you drive at a steady speed , and tap the brake pedal, you should feel the lockup disengage and then 're-engage, ......I think the under dash computer is for abs, I don't have access to my manuals so I'm not sure...but you can't...
  13. J

1995 Aerostar. Upshift issues.

My 92 has a vacuum modulator....if yours has that, check it out and the line going to it...as Brooklyn Bay said, adjust the band's............when was the last time you completely changed all the fluid.....and the filter............
  14. J

1990 3.0L automatic - 22 city - 29 highway average.

I know the feeling!.....I have an 08 Silverado and every time I go to take the gas cap off I have to put a 5 gallon bucket out to catch the gas that comes flowing out.
  15. J

Dog house & PCV questions.

Sorry. Shoulda told you there is a computer module right under the center of the dash above the doghouse.....I always take that off.....taking off the cup holder helps also......
  16. J

Dog house & PCV questions.

On my 92 3.0, the pcv valve is on the left rear valve cover....the engine cover (doghouse) has latches .
  17. J

1990 3.0L automatic - 22 city - 29 highway average.

Let's see....the 90 3.0 was rated at 15 city, 20 hwy. , and the hwy figure is usually derived at a constant speed of 55 mph....level ground....and auto manufacturers are notorious for overstating these figures. Every vehicle (car,motorcycle) I have and had ,have never passed the manufacturer's...
  18. J

Solved My 1995 Ford Aerostar won't start.

Um....how does a van start and run fine for 10 min. with a blown ignition fuse...fouled plugs/excessive gaps make for a hardstart but can appear ok once running....except for occasional miss..just the opposite of what is stated....I've read this entire post and, the bad fuse doesnt add...
  19. J

My 1995 Ford Aerostar won't start when it rains.

the maf would have nothing to do with a no start in wet/rain conditions only....disconnect the maf.....the van will start/run but roughly.....like Brooklyn Bay and my experience,...I will wager the problem is ignition related only . .....never ever heard of any sensor in any car called a...
  20. J

My 1995 Ford Aerostar won't start when it rains.

i had this problem with my 92 3.0......once, it was the platinum plugs that went 100,000 miles and the gap was too big, so replacing them fixed it....another time was bad spark plug wires, but that had other symptoms also...
  21. J

Wiper problem.

switch i have a 92 and it was doing the same thing...i did not know about the relay, ..but replacing the turn signal switch solved my problem.....i hope the relay solves your problem......however...if it doesn't and you decide to get the turn signal stalk that has the wiper switch..be...
  22. J

Oil pan clearance.

i did try a search but nothing came up is there a way to change the oil pan and gasket on a 1992 3.0, 2wd, aerostar without removing the transmission......has anyone here done that i did try to replace mine about 6 years ago but gave up after eventually loosening the tranny and moving...
  23. J

1992 Aerostar. My A/C compressor clutch stopped working.

well.....it appears that by pulling and putting the w.o.t. relay back in , the "problem" is fixed....i had cleaned those relays a few years ago and used dielectric grease for further protection.....
  24. J

1992 Aerostar. My A/C compressor clutch stopped working.

ok ...my 92 had a bad schraeder valve in the ac system....air would work fine until it ran out of freon......so i fixed the valve, vacuumed system, it held a vacuum.....so i began to charge the system.......compressor began to cycle off and on .......and then it quit cycling.........static...
Back