Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Rough Hot Starts

No problem I need all I can get.
  2. W

Rough Hot Starts

Okay I will check those. That is what I did got it hot, shut it off let it sit for 20 restarted it unplugged MAF and it didint lope. I will check the pcv anyway. Thanks, Morgan
  3. W

Rough Hot Starts

Thanks, I tried starting the car with this unplugged and it starts fine. My guess is you are right, or its an O2 sensor. Im gonna get a MAF off my moms 96 and try it.
  4. W

Rough Hot Starts

Also for what it is worth the car starts very fast, cold or hot, in fact cold it cranks over maybe two times, when hot no more than three.
  5. W

Rough Hot Starts

Compression is good, also the I dumped in a bottle of EFI cleaner. No DTCs I am stumped, It never stalls it just starts idles rough for 20 seconds then smooths out. I wonder if this is a lean condition causing this? The car gets pretty good mpg 17 average half city/highway. I had another 96...
  6. W

Rough Hot Starts

Sensor is within spec. Any other ideas?
  7. W

Rough Hot Starts

Hello I have a 96 Limited with the OHV V6. It has had a replaced fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, DPFE, fuel filter and IAC. Tune up was also done a year ago. The car sat for almost a year and now I am driving it again. Cold it starts right away. After it has been driven and sits...
  8. W

Airbag light

Let share my experience with my 99 Eddie Bauer. My car has the side airbags and I noticed every time someone would move the passenger seat the light would flash and stay on. I know the plug is positioned under the seat where it can be easily kicked by children in the back seat. I noticed the...
  9. W

Explorer Limited Paint Code

Hello again, The sticker is not missing, it simply does not show the paint code for the Limited molding. The dealer says they do not know because it comes painted the color of the car and they do not list the code. What a pain in the ass. Morgan
  10. W

Explorer Limited Paint Code

Hello, I have a 96 Limited, it is "medium berry pearl" or "iris frost" it is a nasty purple color. Anyway, I am trying to find out what color the pink body molding stripe is? There is no paint code on the car, and I need to fix some scratches. Thanks!
  11. W

Rear suspension sagging

If the truck is leaning on one side it will need a torsion bar adjustment. Again I state that the car is engineered to sit lower in the rear. Any change to the rear ride height is going to affect the center of gravitity height. Any change to the CG height will affect how your car reacts in an...
  12. W

Center Console Message Center MPG

I have a 96 Limited as well. The message center is highly accurate. I have never had any problem. I have checked it repeatedly. Ran it down to 1 mile till empty and filled the tank 21.9 gallons full. Morgan
  13. W

CD Changer 6 disc Cartridge won't eject..help

Are all 6 of the disks returned to the magazine? If not: Shake the cartrige back and forth when it is in the cd changer. If the disks are returned and the magazine does not come out: You probably have a peny or something jammed in it. In this case you have to take it apart.
  14. W

First Explorer! Was This A Wise Investment???

Hey, I think you did good. I had a 96XLT with the same engine and AWD. The AWD is great for towing. Bullet proof. Morgan
  15. W

calling all 4.0 OHV owners

I have the same truck. What I have noticed: Slow acceleration means an extra 60 miles out of a tank of gas. I average about 16.5 in the city. All highway I get about 20. And that is at the speed limits. Anything above 65 and you really begin to get crappy mpg. You can drive the...
  16. W

Rear suspension sagging

All of the Explorers except the trucks with Automatic Ride Control should sit lower in the rear. The extra inch lower in the rear helps the truck pass the J-Turn test at Ford. I would not mess with the suspension on any Explorer ever. It is very sensitive to any change. This change means...
  17. W

High milage explorers?

I have a 96 Limited. Has been a wonderful car. 127K Replaced an O2 sensor, DPFE sensor, Ballast, Belt tensioner, brakes twice, and transfer case output shaft seal, and changed the oil and transfer case fluid, and transmission fluid, and antifreez. Also I did a tune up at 120K. 115K...
  18. W

replaced stock air ride shocks with monroes...question

Don, I have driven probably 150 different Explorers, at least, and I can tell you a couple more things. The second generation Explorer has a short and long arm suspension, and a live rear axel, it is a good ride for being a leaf spring set up in the rear. The air shocks from the...
  19. W

replaced stock air ride shocks with monroes...question

I have a 96 Explorer with the Automatic Ride Control. It is a very slow system, but it is also very useful, it not only reacts to loads, but to handling, braking, and steering as well, when the shocks are in good condition, the ride is way better than a regular explorer, but when the shocks...
  20. W

Vibration in peddle on accelleration

This is a real common problem with the newer OHV engines. I have driven 4 2001s that do this, and its annoying as hell. I have a 96 Limited and you cant feel anything in the pedal, but in the 98 and up Explorers I have driven, they had this annoying beat of the engine in the pedal. I am not...
  21. W

Hello Again!! Could be getting an Explorer again, need Pros and Cons of diff gens!

The 2nd Generation Explorer is a way better car than the version it replaced. Standard airbags, ABS, etc. If you can find a 96, or 97 AWD V8 with leather, and in good shape, it is going to be the most reliable. MP
  22. W

tire preasure

This quote was way before the recall. Ford uses a sophisticated suite of software called ADAMS to test all their vehicles in sever limit handling maneuvers, nothing is tested on a track anymore, its all done by computer. In the ADAMS tests at 35PSI in the J-Turn performance the Explorer...
  23. W

tire preasure

At Firestone's request, Ford recently changed its recommendation from a strict 26 to a range: 26 to 30 psi. Baughman says the truck handles the same within that range. Above 30 psi, Explorers can go out of control easier during extreme maneuvers, he says.
  24. W

tire preasure

I would stick with the 26 PSI, a correctly manufactured tire in good condition is not going to fall apart at high speeds. The following is from the former cheif truck engineer at Ford: "We ran the tests, and in really severe maneuvers, emergency lane-change maneuvers, 35 is not where you...
Back