Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

93 explorer ignition switch removal and testing.

IgnitionLock If the key is not returning to a home position you need to replace the Ignition LOCK about 15 dollars from parts house. I just did this on my 92 because it would hang. To get the key to work on the doors you need to take the new key (which only has notches on the end of the key) to...
  2. 9

A4LD Input shaft slightly twisted OD Planet stripped

Yeah I will try to get some pictures up this weekend. Glad I have a second tranny for parts.
  3. 9

Taking it the housing off but not taking the pump apart it looks like it just stopped. I cant move it by hand.
  4. 9

Had forward only in OD and NO reverse. In neutral would roll forward but not reverse, had to put drive shaft to move in reverse. When I tore the transmission down the input shaft grooves at the torque converter were slightly twisted but could remove torque converter. The other end of the input...
  5. 9

Need to replace L front block freeze plug (second time)

Not sure of failure frequency but look for an exspansion plug installation tool. It makes installation much easier.
  6. 9

No Park after trans swap 94 Explorer 4X4 sport

You need to check that the park pawl is in the correct location. Do a search on parking pawl.
  7. 9

Let the Conversion Begin....

The output shaft is longer on a 4WD. Glacier has a great teardown rebuild for the A4LD. While a pain it is fairly straight forward removal of parts change output shaft then reinstall.
  8. 9

R134a conversion question

You might consider adding a heater bypass valve. It is purported to greatly reduce the heat and increase the cool for your AC. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190431&highlight=heater+control+bypass
  9. 9

ok, tonight i bought a 98 xlt 5.0

If you are going to pull anything check to see if you have the secondary transmission cooler it will extend the life of your transmission
  10. 9

Transmission leak prob help plz

Yes you can the rubber gets hard in the valves and will leak. Check out the A4LD rebuild thread by Glacier.
  11. 9

From Russia with Love.

It is used as a way to stop metal pieces from moving around in the transmission. That is to say a filter.
  12. 9

94 explorer auto trans leak

Could be your servo covers. The seals gets hard because they are so near the exhaust.
  13. 9

driver window troubles....

Glad that helped.
  14. 9

driver window troubles....

Expanded parts view If you go to www.fordparts.com you can get a blowup of the door parts that should help
  15. 9

New Owner (actually caretaker) of an Old Explorer.

Go for it Welcome to the forum. I used various threads to rebuild my 92 A4LD transmission. My Explorer had been sitting about 5 years also. I am replacing the Valve Body as the original one still seems to have some issues with reverse. There are other threads for later model automatics .
  16. 9

completley unexpected a4ld issue

You may need to adjust your bands. Loosen locking nut (19 mm) then Tighten center to 120 inch pounds (10 ft pounds ) then back out 2 turns.
  17. 9

ZC servo upgrade

Spring color I dont remember it now. I went thru the a4ld rebuild sticky and found the color there in the section for the servos.
  18. 9

ZC servo upgrade

Zc When I did the ZC upgrade I upgraded the spring as well.
  19. 9

92 navajo need passenger side interior door panel

Go to ebay and do a search for EXPLORER INSIDE DOOR PANEL PULL HANDLE 91-94 GRAY RIGHT (Fits: Ford Explorer) Lots out there
  20. 9

Can someone tell me what this is?

What was the solution What did you find that you fixed on both vehicles ?
  21. 9

92 Explorer A4LD noise after rebuild

Clicking Solved: I was able to duplicate the clicking with the rear on jacks , shift in neutral, while rotating the drive shaft. My suspicion was that the parking pawl was not being fully retracted. I pulled the tail off the 2WD A4LD and the parking pawl and spring fell out. I reinstalled them...
  22. 9

No reverse after valve body rebuilt

Be sure you have enough transmision fluid in the system. You have to check it when it gets warmed up. Second when you redid the VB did you replace the orings on the reverse servo? It can be a cause of no or slow reverse.
  23. 9

Fender Wheel well removal

Fender Well Removal It is pretty easy. There are 6 - bolts and screws that hold it in. Depending on which side it is there may be the air intake or someother device mounted on the top side of the plastic liner.
  24. 9

AL4D front Seal replace?

If that is all you are doing yes. Be sure to stake the seal. Check the spacer behind the flexplate to see if that was the cause of the seal to stop working. If the cause was something else you may have to have the bellhousing machined and seal installed. There is info on this in the transmission...
  25. 9

Paint to use on vents

That nicely sets of the interior Great Job
Back