Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

My 1997 Ranger has no reverse.

I finally gave up and bought a rebuilt tranny with a good warranty. I had one expert tell me that I probably had a cracked center support based on everything that I had tried with no success.
  2. K

I hooked up the pressure gauge and pressures are low at 65-70 psi in reverse, neutral and drive. Revving the engine up in gear does not seem to change the pressure much, you can see some fluctuation but it doesn't really change much. Since I am getting pressure, I would surmise that my pump is...
  3. K

After cleaning up the fluid on my garage floor, I installed the transfer case and tried out the truck. I still don't have any reverse so I pushed it out of the garage and drove through the neighborhood. I have engine braking in 1st but the transmission does not want to shift up unless I really...
  4. K

The sprag is working and I was going to try the suggestion to hook everything up but the transfer case and run it to see if reverse worked. Bad idea. after four quarts of fluid, I was just dumping it on the ground since it was running out the back of the transmission. Now I have a big mess to...
  5. K

Thanks, I will pull the sprag and check it.
  6. K

I have another question, in all of the previous checks of a bad reverse, it was always asked if you had low gear and engine braking in low. What is the problem if you have low but do not have engine braking in low?
  7. K

That is my next project I guess. I am curious as to how the shift fork on the T-case has anything to do with reverse not working. It seems that if anything happens within the case, it would happen for every direction of the input shaft motion, not just reverse. Am I trying to think too...
  8. K

BrooklynBay, I have been out of town a week or so, just getting back to my truck. Do the hairline cracks cause the forks to come loose or just not allow the T-case to shift? Is there any easy way to tell if the T-case needs work? If I install the transmission without the T-case...
  9. K

Shake a transfer case? That thing is awful heavy for me to be shaking around. There is a diary for breaking one down, not sure if it is the same as mine though.
  10. K

Since everything is already out of the truck, how do you check the shift rail, and the shift fork in the transfer case?
  11. K

Is there a way to check the transfer case while it is out of the truck?
  12. K

Yes, I did the right torque in the sequence from the ASTG manual. It is a 4x4. I am hoping it is not the transfer case since my wife will make me send the truck to the scrap yard if there are any more costs associated with it. I am curious about the servo being so tight. When it expands...
  13. K

I will try the freezer. I pulled the reverse modulation valve and it was pristine as well as the bore, is there something to do to check it?
  14. K

My amateur (me) rebuilt 5R55E on my 97 Ranger lasted about 800 miles before I lost reverse. I pulled the transmission without reading the codes and found the OD clutches burned up but nothing else seemed wrong except for a small amount of scoring on the inside of the pump cover plate and all...
  15. K

97 Ranger, no reverse & stiff reverse modulation valve

Apparently I overloaded my 97 ranger with 4.0L OHV and the transmission decided to quit working a few weeks later. The first symptom was no reverse when I was on a trip to the dump, then problems shifting with the 2-3 flare on the way home from the dump. Like a fool, I pulled the transmission...
  16. K

5R55E? No reverse.

No Reverse Not much time to work on transmission. I pulled the first clutch pack (OD?) and the outside of the drum was burned which I thought was strange. Then when I pulled the clutches out, I found that the inside of the clutches were no longer notched, they were worn smooth. All the...
  17. K

5R55E? No reverse.

5R55E No reverse Thanks. I meant servo but typed solenoid. When I pulled the servo out and inspected the case, I did not see any abnormal wear pattern. The servo still had the spring back when pushed and did not seem to be leaking around the seals. Since the transmission itself was acting...
  18. K

5R55E? No reverse.

5R55E No reverse BrooklynBay, my 97 Ranger 4x4 with 202K miles and fairly fresh rebuild on tranny (done by me, maybe not so good?) lost reverse while dumping trash at the dump. On the five mile drive back, it didn't want to shift correctly, (flaring), and then the check engine light came on...
  19. K

Codes P0751, P0756, and P0761.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. I think I will pull the outside plug and clean the contacts and plug it back in first since that is the easy one to try.
  20. K

It is a 97 Ranger with the 5R55E tranny.
  21. K

I got the check engine light the other day and three codes came up; P0751, P0756 and P0761. They are the solenoids A, B and C circuits. The transmission was just rebuilt and only had about 30 miles on it. Since all three codes came up at once, I would think that there is a common problem such...
Back