Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Recent death of T.C. Lemons.

To all of you in the Aerostar Forum section, Hey Guys it's me I been in a time warp lately, but my calendar is opening up again so I reckon I'll be on here more often in the near future. Nothing really pressing to add right here right now, except maybe if you know or know of Don Garlits...
  2. F

I have a 91 Aerostar. Will 92+ headlight assemblies fit?

I concur with Brooklyn Bay. High output sealed beams are superior. I find when I deal in pairs they last as long or longer than anything else, but work better than most for far less $$$ cost. . . .:thumbsup: CIAO FBp
  3. F

I'm considering an Aerostar.

Aerostar Forum WOW. . . . . .! Why dont you tell us what you really think? Some folks are not capable of owning an Aerostar and obviously you are one of them. I will leave it at that. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion regardless of how wrong you may be, or how badly you distort...
  4. F

I agree with nightfly. IMHO a frontwheel drive with a cross ways engine and everything crammed into that engine bay is far worse. If push comes to shove front K frames drop out of an Aerostar very quickly and then everything is exposed and accessible. It helps to have a Lift, but it is not...
  5. F

Sputtering & backfire.

So You are saying the crankshaft position sensor in a OBD-II system is irrelevant to how & when the coil pack fires and/or how well the engine runs?:rolleyes: What times your PCM's Operating system to your vehicle's engine? That is a new one to me for sure. . . .
  6. F

Sputtering & backfire.

Florida Tropical Storm event Scott, How'd you fare in last weeks weather events? We caught 15" of rain over 3 days, but missed tropical Low that went thru Ormond Bch, Ocala, Cedar Key, & Pan Handle. My friend in Ormond said thay had winds gusting above Hurrucane 1 strength. It was a brutal...
  7. F

Sputtering & backfire.

Malk 67 I concur fully with Brooklyn Bay. You are only guessing. Backfiring in intake can only be BAD for an engine. Backfiring in exhaust isn't much better either. But without scanning your codes, or getting a parts store to scan them for you you're just in the dark. Especially with an...
  8. F

Mileage comparisons.

Joe, You watch Nascar? ;) Well ya gotta tuck it right in there so air folding off sides & top of a trailer (vehicle) can't convex into a vacuum working against the rear doors. You know there's big vacuum there if you've looked at what's on the doors in bad weather and/or snow right? Well small...
  9. F

Mileage comparisons.

Turdle That was You Drafting behind my Peterbilt? :D By filling the vacuum gap behind my rig you gave me +2 Mpg @ 85Mph scaling 78,000Lbs and saved me 140 Minutes. . . . . How much would you charge to follow me everywhere?:rolleyes: Just kiddin'. Drafting avg's don't count. It's straight...
  10. F

There's another advantage to the 1st design, or older sealed beam type in the 85 - 91 Aeros, and that is you don't really nead to have the vehicle dead level to get a true adjustment on the beam projected by the headlamps, FWIW. . . AND I can get 2 replacement sealed beams + have change for...
  11. F

97 Aerostar E-4WD camber issue.

:thumbdwn: I think what's even worse is all the Bozo's who talk a good story but are far from qualified, reliable, good "wrenches". How many people do they place in danger? How many do they rip off out of ignorance? How many innocent and trusting customers get taken annually by them?:rolleyes...
  12. F

Mileage comparisons.

Last AWD I had was a 93 XLTN with the 4.0L Cologne. 18-20 ws the best and only around the BiKiNi State where it is flat & fast. I could cut that to 14-15 in the S.C., N.C., & VA Mountains, or driving through snow anywhere.:rolleyes: In comparison my 95 XLTN 2Wd gets between 22/24...
  13. F

My two bits worth :us: Hi XT & also welcome...:salute: I am very opinionated and I would tell you 95 is what you want specifically, if you can find a clean one. If it's AWD it will be the Cologne 4.0L V6, IMHO among the best engines FoMoCo ever built. As Brooklyn Bay said you also get the...
  14. F

I have been out of the loop too long.

Hey All. . . . It's me the venerable FORDBOYpete. . . .:us: In mid August, the 17th to be exact I suffered heat stroke leading to cardiac arrest and a quadruple By-Pass during open heart surgery after I went Code1 and had to be resuscitated by CPR & the "paddles" twice. I was also in a induced...
  15. F

I agree get some newer Halogen Filled Sylvania Sealed Beams and be amazed. If that's not good enough give me your addy. I will send you a few sets of 92 & later halogen bulb type take offs that are piling up in my shop, complete with the fogged & cloudy lenses and all the other problems they...
  16. F

1996 Aerostar. It runs hot, then the coolant leaks out. It has a new radiator.

Changing your Thermostat to Lower heat range will not make a '96, OBD II Based system run better cooler as it is It is -38*F out of specification. 96 AERO calls for a 198 +/- T-Stat. With correct PSI (pressure), & no leaks, running 50% ethelyne glycol, [or equivilant coolant} you shoild be able...
  17. F

Intermittent oil pressure fluctuation.

Okay maybe I'll give it a try this week. I ran Seafoam thru intake before with a '93 4.0 V6 on "G-P". I didn't notice any dramatic difference, except it didn't smell too good as I ran it out of the system by driving it. I had an exhaust code for a few times until I got whole can thru' the...
  18. F

Out of curiosity, what do you think my problem is that Seafoam could cure?:rolleyes: I mean what in a pressurized system would respond to Seafoam? Or what can be in it that would stick ? Everything with valves and pressure control is rather new. Internal engine is really pretty clean. I mean...
  19. F

Hey Brooklyn Bay. . . How ya doin' ? I've an old Stewart Warner mechanical, capillary, Gauge with a short (20" hard line) hose I can swap fittings on, left over from my racing days I use for testing Oil PSI etc. It's a 150# PSI unit from a Peterbilt I had. It is close enough for what I do...
  20. F

We are talking about a 1995 4.0L V6 RWD Aerostar with 250K Miles on engine. Some days the oil pressure reads between the R and M in NOR|MAL and on other days it barely reaches the \NORMAL. It is niether a gauge, nor sender, nor wiring problem. It's a 30Lb pressure fluctuation intermittently out...
  21. F

Power window issues.

I found majority of times when driverside window switches are unable to get window motors to respond it's generally in switches themselves, not so much wiring or motor. So unless there's a reason wiring is bad, I chk switches first. However, I do not suggest buying/ trying new switches just to...
  22. F

Low oil pressure with an oil leak.

Check your Oil Pressure Sender Unit and oil filter assembly, specially if it's an aftermarket brand. I run Motorcraft brand. No problems, better quality, fair price. It's personal taste. FBp
  23. F

Frustrating ignition problem.

Aeroguy, I have found over time throttle bodies get "dirty" inside their bore, after or "behind" the throttle plate in the "throat" where it bolts to the upper intake plenum. Periodic cleaning of a throttle body can reduce this symptom if/when build up is severe enough. Cold Idle/ Low RPM...
  24. F

My 95 Ford Aerostar has an electrical problem, and can't start.

Mossgreen, Any post 1996 Vehicle will have an OBD II system. It is unlike OBD 1 systems in 1995 or earlier vehicles, so truthfully you can't have the Identical type of problem TOBY has. Good News is any decent "parts supplier" is able to scan your OBD II for you. Having said that, I will...
  25. F

Frustrating ignition problem.

37#PSI is nearly ideal system PSI on MAFS systems. Also it's a loop based PSI & will or cannot vary between injectors in a fuel supply loop. IOW All injectors get same loop PSI. injectors or more likely harness attacting clips deteriorate causing issues but irregular pressures between injectors...
Back