Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

With my bump steer under control and with better shocks, my on road driving was pretty decent. But still wasn’t great. Ever since I got 35s (spring 2019), I have been running without sway bars. Works pretty good offroad (although a little tippy here and there), the on road performance was less...
  2. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

I’ve always wanted an awning. But as you saw earlier, I’ve got no room above the rack for a traditional awning. And the space between the upper side doors and rack isn’t conducive for an awning to hang below the rack. A friend of mine was using the Dragon Fly awning on his Jeep LJ. They custom...
  3. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

So now that I have a fridge, I need a way to prevent the battery from draining while I’m parked. This is mostly so I can load up for a trip, go to work and have it sit in the hot sun all day and not kill the battery. Enter the Cascadia 4x4 hood solar panel. I know a few 100-series Land Cruiser...
  4. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

While looking at someone else’s expensive Goosegear system in their rig, I noticed it was built out of 80/20. I felt a little stupid for not thinking of this before: I could design my own 80/20 system. The fridge setup I had before just wasn’t working out. I needed to lower the fridge but to...
  5. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

My days of a cooler sloshing around in the back had come to an end. It was time to upgrade to a fridge. I initially thought it would great to maintain as much of the backseat as possible so I removed the single seat and built a wooden platform to hold my ARB Zero fridge. This worked OK but...
  6. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

The brakes might be fixed, but the WJ steering knuckles completely changed the steering geometry. I had a little bump steer before, but now it was really bad. If you don’t know anything about solid axle steering geometry, the links need to be as parallel as possible. Here you can see they...
  7. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

And speaking of 35s- they absolutely ruined my braking. 33s on the Dana 30 brakes were pretty decent. But as soon as I put on these 35s…. How I haven’t rear ended people is a mystery. I have had to go onto the shoulder to to avoid ending up in someone’s backseat. Seriously. It was bad. And even...
  8. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

My Eezi-Awn Platform Rack is honestly one of my favorite pieces of equipment. It was originally installed on my Explorer, then it moved over to my 1st gen Expedition, then I put it on my 3rd gen Expedition. But I decided the Explorer actually needs it….. so back on the Explorer it went. But...
  9. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

Previously I had Rancho 7000s on the front and 9000s on the back. They worked OK. But after putting some Bilstein 5100s on my 2014 Expedition and REALLY liking them, I decided to upgrade the Explorer’s shocks. But I decided to go with Bilstein 7100s. They have a reservoir but are not adjustable...
  10. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

My rear swingout bumper is great and all, but over the years I’ve broken the latch twice. After the 2nd time, I figured it was breaking because the bolt was being side loaded while restraining the swingout portion. So I moved it to the back side of the swingout so the bolt was just in tension.
  11. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

I’m not sure how this came to be- I suspect the bolts for my front lower control arms weren’t tight enough and it wallowed out the holes some. I could hear/feel a bump when loading the suspension- even using the brakes on the street. I got some weld washers to take care of the problem. I...
  12. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

I decided I didn’t like the look of my front bumper anymore and wanted to add more protection to the front end. I also wanted to rework the rear bumper to add the ability to carry a 2nd gas can and a hi-lift jack. Front bumper before: Front bumper after the rework: Rear bumper before: Rear...
  13. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

Hello? Is there anybody out there? I’m still here. Still have the Explorer. Still playing with it. Those on the facebook groups probably see me post every so often. But I figured I needed to update this registry. I’ve done a few things. I added some limit straps because my shocks were what...
  14. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

15. 2

Brian1 91 XLT 4x4

Awesome pic at the border wall. I want to do the Camino del Diablo in AZ.
  16. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

I had to add my own. And shave the handle a little. And get longer screws. Typical custom install.
  17. 2

@MM.4x4.Explorer

Welcome. We need to get out wheeling again.
  18. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

Working on a flip down table for my swingout. This is just a prototype, but I’ll probably stick with wood.
  19. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

Added a 1st gen Expedition grab handle to my A-Pillar. When I owned a 1st gen Expedition, I used it all the time. My passengers are very thankful for the addition.
  20. 2

Brian1 91 XLT 4x4

I’ve done Hayden and Medano.
  21. 2

Project Vulture

Nice looking Sport. Sometimes a lightly modded Ex is better than a highly modded Ex.
  22. 2

Tom's '97 XLT registry

I’ve been noticing that my Explorer leans a little to the driver side. It’s a little unnerving while on a shelf road above tree line. I think I found the culprit: The passenger side isn’t quite as bad. Ordered new springs and this time I’m going to keep the helper/overload spring that comes...
  23. 2

Harsh ride off roading with Rancho's. Suggest some shocks pls!

Turning up the torsion bars on a 2nd gen leads to a harsh ride. Could swap it to coilovers- but that’s no easy task.
  24. 2

4x4 Swap Questions

The drive shaft will probably work. Count the bolt holes on the flange and compare to the tcase. Did you get a 4wd transmission too? The 2wd and 4wd transmissions aren’t the same.
  25. 2

Broke the stock roof rack on my Mounty

Keep us updated. On my Explorer, I’m using 1st gen Expedition rails (about 12” longer) and 5 Explorer crossbars. Works. But I’m not totally thrilled.
Back