Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. U

Front seat issue

I'm pretty sure it wasn't an overweight previous driver issue. I bought the Explorer in December of 1999 with 12 miles on it. And no, it's not an overweight current driver issue either. :-) Stupid question, but will the dealer (cringe) honor a recall on a 13 year old vehicle?
  2. U

Front seat issue

I got in my Explorer Wednesday morning like usual to go to work, and I had my phone in my pocket. So I leaned back in the seat, not excessively of anything, to get my phone out of my pocket and a heard a slight "click" or maybe "snap" from under my seat. No big deal I thought. The vehicle is...
  3. U

Changing transmission fluid

Thanks for the info mikepier and koda2000. I didn't even think about dropping the pan and replacing the filter, but it does make sense, and I agree about the full flush. The only reason I'm considering it is because the fluid is dark brown and I'm trying to get my Explorer to last at lease...
  4. U

Changing transmission fluid

Hello all. I searched about 8 pages of searched posts and did not find this specific question, so I thought I would go ahead and ask. I have a '00 Explorer XLT, 4.0 SHOC, 217k miles, automatic transmission (don't know the exact model of the transmission but can get if needed). During the...
  5. U

Front end work

Oh yeah, definitely. I took the back roads (35 MPH) to Tire Kingdom and got it aligned.
  6. U

Front end work

So, about $1,000 in parts and three days spread out in the garage floor, my 2000 Explorer is now riding like a new Caddy. Front upper control arms and ball joints, lower ball joints, shocks, sway bar ends, new brake rotors, brake pads, new front wheel bearings, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings...
  7. U

Fog/Driving lights bypass help.

You may want to check the motor vehicle laws in your state. In SC the driving lights may not be on with the high beams. I don't think it's enforced, but it is a law.....and the way my luck runs I'd get that one pissed off cop that pulls me over.
  8. U

Headlamp and Turnsignal Housing Replacement

I changed mine out today and this video really helped: How To Install Headlight Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 95-01 1AAuto.com I had a really hard time getting the new headlights back in, so I removed the grill. Made everything SO much easier.
  9. U

Wanted Rear Glass Hinges/hex bolts washers on 98 Explorer Sport

I know this is over a month old, but over this past weekend I went to LKQ in my town and pulled a complete set off a wrecked Explorer and the set was $4.
  10. U

Wipers won't park & only work on Hi

Don't beat yourself down too bad. I ended up buying both the parking and high (I think) relays and haven't had the problem since. They were both the same relay and were only $10 each at O'Reilly Auto.
  11. U

Tires

I've had the same tire for about a year and you made a great choice. Quiet on the highway and 70,000 mile warranty. I've had mine since 10/2010 and put about 24000 miles on them and you can hardly tell they have been used at all. Keep them rotated and inflated and make sure your alignment is...
  12. U

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

199k on my 2k SOHC. I'll hit 200k this week.
  13. U

Overhead compass troubles

I followed the guide here and got mine working again. Took about an hour.
  14. U

ac not cold enough & compressor clicking noise

When the compressor is off, the gauge should peg at max. This is system pressure. When the compressor is on, the pressure reading will depend on outside air temp. Any can of refrigerant should have a chart printed on it for charging. I believe the 2000-ish year models hold about 22 ounces of...
  15. U

how to get the rear drivers door open

I had a similar issue. What I had to do was roll the window down and while trying to open the door from the outside, reach in and manually lock and unlock the door at the same time. It turned out the linkages in the door from the handle and the lock were rubbing each other and preventing the...
  16. U

stalled at 10,000 ft

As minor as this sounds, try a new gas cap.
  17. U

So let me ask, for those what have had this problem, was it intermittent? What I am discovering is that yesterday afternoon they only worked on high, and when I turned the switch off, the wipers stopped where ever they were on the windshield. So I went to the store, and on the way home it...
  18. U

P0136 Code and O2 Sensor 2 Bank 1 voltage

Let me add something, only because I was getting identical and similar codes: when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? The reason I ask is about 6 months ago I started getting the same codes and bank 1&2 lean codes. I started with the least expensive resolution I was given and...
  19. U

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Now mine have the same "high only" symptom. I'm going to search for this "control box" and when/if I get it out, you can believe I will be snapping photos.
  20. U

pulling to the right

Possible wheel bearing? If you jack up the vehicle and grab the wheel, is there any excessive play?
  21. U

Max AC not working

I highly recommend removing the front passenger seat for this. You can just lay in the floor and prop your legs up on the back seat. MUCH easier on your back, too. ;)
  22. U

Vibrations in the Steering Wheel

+1, do it now.
  23. U

A/C weak air flow

I've never looked, and also never seen one in a repair manual, but is there an air filter anywhere that may need to be cleaned/replaced? I bought my '00 XLT brand new and my blower seems to be working just as good now as when I bought it. A coworker bought a new KIA and found out there is a...
  24. U

I know this thread is stale, but wanted to give the following information. Yesterday, I took my wipers off to paint them since they were severely faded. I got them done and reattached them. Low and behold, now mine only work on high. So I came here searching and found some great ideas to...
  25. U

A/C can recharge with guage

Well, according to the gauge and the outside temp, the system was a little low. I charged it according to the chart on the can and....well....WOW! I don't remember the AC being this cold, even when I bought it brand new in 2000.
Back