Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Code PO171, PO174 Help

Only reason I am coming back to post is that often on this forum I see no final disposition posted. No final out come................anyway. My son's 2000 Limited had both the 0171 and 0174 codes. Replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets after trying may other solutions. That was...
  2. S

171 174 lean banks codes still reading

Only reason I am coming back to post is that often on this forum I see no final disposition posted. No final out come................anyway. My son's 2000 Limited had both the 0171 and 0174 codes. Replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets after trying may other solutions. That was...
  3. S

2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue

Read the post here in this tread about the woman's daughter that weighs 90lb. Loss of power assist IS losing steering.
  4. S

Exactly. These older ones are still on the road AND no pattern of dangerous failures such as lost of power steering assist. Waiting to see if the 2016 or 2017 units start showing up here with this same unsafe power assist issue before committing to one. So far as I can see the issue is 2011 -...
  5. S

2003 Explorer 4.6 V8 High Idle Problems

I will add this. If you have a wondering idle look to the elbow issue (small crack) mentioned in this tread BUT if you have a solid high 2000 rpm idle that does not wonder then look for a complete or partial open of the hose either at the big 3in intake tube or at the other end near the elbow...
  6. S

sure, that's "easy". hmmm
  7. S

I have been following this issue for sometime now. Sad to see it still happening. Does anyone know if MY 2016 still has the issue? What about 2015? Any word on "root cause" ? materials? user error? sensor error? design error? ???? Oh, and I did some digging and found how the software "upgrade"...
  8. S

I had asked that question before with no reply. THANKY YOU FOR POSTING your experience ! Tells me I need to avoid 2011 - 2015 and maybe even new ones. Now I know Ford is not waiting for fatalities to really get on this one. That would be criminal.
  9. S

2005 Explorer Transmission Fluid Level

Oh not at all. It was a generous offer. I rarely braze. Even repairing refrigerators that are low on freon I just use a tight slip-joint made from an inner tube schrader valve nozzle then soldered with high tin solder. Works great and in future years you can top off the freon again (never...
  10. S

Thanks for the offer. I have a full shop with a Mig, arc and brazing capability. My 40+ experience doing fabrication and car work tells me that compressing a gasket here will work just fine. Right now the problem is I just finished servicing the tranny (filter and fluid) so not likely to...
  11. S

I like your solution. I like it a LOT! Well done. It gives me an idea for a slightly altered version. Instead of brazing I'll use a few of those end caps that come with the elbow to fashion two nuts that will pinch a rubber washer onto the side of the pan. Of course it will be a very...
  12. S

I don't trust any "sealant" when it has to be applied in a soaking wet ATF environment. I mean it's already a big mess and then having to stick a plug up in there with goop on the threads. Nah, a NPT plug just get good and tight then you're done. This adding a dip stick idea sure has my...
  13. S

That would be correct NPT is National Pipe Thread so it tightens as it goes in. No sealant needed. Sometimes after market parts are BETTER than what Ford selects.
  14. S

I prefer 65 - 75deg and 40% humidity. No AC needed but must warm up the tranny :( I use no sealant just a brass 1/8in NPT with a square 1/4in (correction 3/8in) head on it. Got it at Home Depot. I dumped the T30 drive brass plug. It leaked and then if you tighten it you run the risk of...
  15. S

Important detail about ATF and temp Concerning this horse %*) way of designing way to check the ATF level..... wouldn't you just love to know the actual name of the decision maker for this at Ford? While most all videos out there address the issue of checking the level (amount of drip)...
  16. S

Need opinions on a new car

There is the nugget of gold I was looking for. Thanks:thumbsup:
  17. S

Thanks, yes I am aware of the software attempt and what it was intended to so (change or delay the posting error code) and the damage caused by the problem (rack damage) but what I am after is root cause. You know, something like "rust developing on the sensor lead" or such. OR is what you're...
  18. S

Steering Fault & Fix Details (201 - ????) Does the fix being put in actually work? Anyone have some long term results? Individual experiences with dealers are sad of course but not totally unexpected. They have your money already. It's not like they are trying to sell you a car or keep your...
  19. S

The recall includes 195,527 2011-'13 Ford Explorers Unfortunately I have no date range since I am shopping for one and have not received a recall notice. I did find this reference to 2011 - 2014 only but based on posts in this thread I suspect more...
  20. S

Ok then. Let's change my original request to............... Can anyone recommend a post 2009 Explorer that does not have the steering issue so prominent in this tread? This thread is titled "2011 - 2014" but I'd take any MY suggestion.
  21. S

Why would I sell? My son's 95 (V6) was fantastic (until he put in into a guard rail) and his 97 V8 seems to be bullet proof even when he ran it down to 1.5qts of oil left. Why would me selling reduce the others posting so called nitpicking? Yah, sure hope Ford will "look at" these failures...
  22. S

Wow, not even close. What a joke "pretty reliable". Yah if you want to die trying to steer the thing suddenly without notice ! Thank GOD for these "drag on" threads! OMG I would have stepped in a big pile of steaming crap had I not stumbled onto and read EVERY SINGLE POST in it. So glad to...
  23. S

Rearview Mirror Rework (95 - 98)

pictures I just made all picture links in post #1 public to view
  24. S

LIFE saver thread for sure! I started looking at updating from my 2003 Explorer today. Part of that was to check this site. WOW what an eye opener this tread is! OMG I almost stepped in it by buying 2011 - 2014. Thank you all for your problem posts, comments and concerns. Sure hope no one...
  25. S

Camshaft Position Sensor replacement--a bit of discussion

I did this cam sensor shaft pull on a 97 Mustang and lubed the shaft etc and the squeak went away. Care must be taken to put the shaft back in EXACTLY where it was. Got lucky here on my son's Explorer. It was the idler pulley.
Back