Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Compass not working?

Thank you to everyone who's responded so far. There is no indication in the owner's manual regarding compass calibration. The only mention is where the option is in the settings menu to disable it, but that only works until the next time you drive it and it comes right back. I've owned this...
  2. G

Compass not working?

A couple of months ago, I noticed that the compass on my display is not working. It ALWAYS reads East, not matter what direction I'm traveling. On my older explorers there was an option to calibrate the compass, but I can't seem to find that setting anywhere. I don't really need the compass...
  3. G

USB Cable Routing

I just picked up a 2012 Explorer, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to route a cable for charging my phone. I like the idea of using the built-in USB socket so I can both charge and play media via the single USB cable, but there doesn't appear to be an easy way to route...
  4. G

4.0L Advice/Opinions

I have a 2009 with 175000 miles and have not had a single issue. It runs great, I've put 67000 miles on it in the 3 years I've owned it.
  5. G

Extra power connector in overhead console?

This past weekend, I hardwired my dash cam into the overhead console, and placed a switch on the side. I purchased a hard wire kit and had planned to tie into the power for the interior lights. When I pulled off the console, I noticed that there was an 2 wire electrical connector clipped in...
  6. G

Considering a Gen IV Explorer

I have a 2009 4.0 V6 and I love it. I purchased it about 2 and a half years ago and have put over 60,000 miles on it without much more than oil changes for the engine. It's got 170,000 miles and still drives like new and has plenty of power, even towing my small trailer with nearly a 1-ton...
  7. G

Rear Window Defogger

I had a problem with one of my wires becoming disconnected from the glass. We just re-soldered it on and it was fine for a while, but came off again. There is very little slack in those wires, so the slightest movement rips them off. This time, I soldered a short piece of wire between the...
  8. G

Rear wiper

I had trouble with mine a few months ago. The motor was actually good, but it was seizing up in the bushing that goes through the glass. You have to remove the arm (you'll need a puller tool, a few dollars at Autozone) to pull it off. Then remove the motor assemble on the inside of the glass...
  9. G

Instrument Cluster Bulbs

I've had to replace a couple of mine. The bulbs for the gauge lights and turn signals all have small plastic hex shaped ends. I used a small pair of pliers and gave them a quarter turn and they popped right out. The replacement bulbs are about $5 at the dealer. It is so much easier to change...
  10. G

Buying a 2010, need your advice!!

I bought a 2009 in June with 108000 miles on it. 8 months and 15000 miles later I haven't done anything mut change the oil! It has been very reliable and is more than capable in the snow. I have the v6 and I tow my small 6 foot trailer with 1 ton of wood pellets without any trouble.
  11. G

Wiper Fluid Pump Problem

I had the same problem with my 2009 a couple of weeks ago. It didn't work front or back for several days and then it started working again. I think some of the old fluid might have frozen in the pump. What it did to clear it was pull the hose off one of the lines under the hood and blew back...
  12. G

2nd row seats lay flat

I have a 2009 with the third row. The second row does fold flat but the setbacks need to be folded down and then there's a "cargo mode" lever in the seat back that lowers the seats flat. When they go flat they move forward and there is a good size gap between third and second row.
  13. G

Heat problem

The other night after work, I used the heat for the first time this Fall. I was only able to get it to blow cold air. The next morning, the heat worked fine, but that night, no heat again. I left the blower on low, and after about 35 minutes of driving, I very suddenly had heat again for the...
  14. G

Remote starter recommendations

I have an Avitel from Best Buy in mine. I've had it for 2 years and it was about $100 INSTALLED! I did have to pay a little more for the override kit for the pats key. I'm very happy wiht it, and it works very well. I do wish I could control the locks though, having 2 fobs is bit much, and...
  15. G

Transmission gone?

I didn't notice a smell. The fluid is dark red. It probably isn't a bad idea to have it looked at, but I'll have to have it towed. Electrical issues might not be as expensive as replacing the transmission, depending on what the problem is.
  16. G

Transmission gone?

Hi All, Yesterday, while on my way home from work, about a half mile from home, my 2000 Explorer suddenly lost most of its power, and I barely could get it home. When in park/neutral, it was running fine, but ran very rough (almost stalling) when I tried to move it and it really didn't want...
  17. G

How I also fixed the door ajar with dome light on problem

I had the same problem with the door ajar light and dome light staying on when I bought my truck. I traced it to the back driver's side door. With the truck running, a long beep can be heard when a door is opened, so that's how I discovered which door it was. I was too cheap to get a new...
  18. G

Differences between SOHC and OHV Alternators?

I am by no means an expert, bit I did have to replace the alternator on my 2000 OHV last month and the kind folks at Autozone sold me the wrong one. I saw them look up 2000 FORD EXPLORER in their computer, so I assume that the one they gave my was for the other engine. It appeared that it...
  19. G

Keyless Entry combination.

If you can't see the code, try using the camera on your cell phone, you may also need to shine a flashligt in there. When I bought my explorer, I took it to my Ford dealer to get the code (before I found out how to get it myelf), and they did charge a small fee. If you have only one key...
  20. G

ATTN: Owners With Gen II Explorers - Look at your Gas Pedal

Same thing happened several years ago to my 95 Ranger. Fortunately, it happened in the drive as I was leaving for work. For the previous couple of weeks, I though there was something wrong witht the engine, since there was very little power (even for the 4-cyl rangers), then the pedal just...
  21. G

Coolant leak

It was Bars that I used. It got into the overflow tank hose and flushing didn't clear that plug out.
  22. G

Its a Ford thing!

I had a 90 mustang that someone had given me (it was only a 4-cyl, and the body was in rough shape). It had been sitting for almost 3 years. I put a new battery in and it fired right up, and I drove it out! I had to replace the rotted tires, but I drove it for 2 years and the only work I had...
  23. G

Coolant leak

I would avoid using any kind of stop leak. I had a small leak somewhere and tried stop leak last fall, and while I was on a trip in VT, the engine quickly overheated and I ended up blowing the whole engine. I determined that the stop leak didn't fix the leak (which was in the head gasket...
  24. G

Fog/Driving lights bypass help.

I have a 2000 and the fog lights only come on wiht the headlights, so it doesn't seem to be 99 and up...
  25. G

Door replacement?

Does anyone know how hard it is to replace a rear side door (passenger side) on an explorer? It looks like the door will unbolt from the hinges pretty easily, I'm just concerned about all the wiring for the door switch, speaker, and power window. That one door on my explorer is rusted...
Back