Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Why does my '07 v8 throttle lag/delay - no cel.

There's no cel on and the vehicle is new to me and I don't have a scanner but yes, I'll grab a scanner sometime and check for anything in there.
  2. R

17 year old vehicle and no usual culprit for the throttle delay? Upon some further reading the entire throttle body and throttle motor or tps are suspect on these.
  3. R

why? for the love of God why!?!? Sometimes the throttle gets bucking or surging because of this also when trying to be light on the pedal and go slow. This is a new vehicle to me, EB 4.6L 4x4 200 000km. Also the door seals have shrunk and it needs new front struts. The audiovox roof mount dvd...
  4. R

Just bought an '07 eb 4.6L 3v, any advice?

Ive read the slightly thicker 30 weight was better than the 20w for these? Guess not though as it does call for 5w20. Any other general advice from 4th gen owners?
  5. R

SOHC CROAKS TODAY

Bought a 2007 eb 4.6L with 200 000km on it for $2000. Wish me luck!
  6. R

Just bought an '07 eb 4.6L 3v, any advice?

Any advice from the gurus about my latest purchase? 200 000km on the odometer, paid $2000cdn. Should I use 5w20 or 5w30 full synthetic?
  7. R

SOHC CROAKS TODAY

Probably add it to my stash of 2nd gens(have 4 total in the farm) although it will be the only non runner, 2 ohv and 1 5.0 still runs and drives. Looking at a 2007 eb 4.6L explorer tomorrow with 200 000km on it.
  8. R

SOHC CROAKS TODAY

Today at approx 3:20pm est the pistons met valves on one side of my 2000 Amazon Green Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L SOHC 4x4. Rip@280 000km. Rattled after 2000rpm for the longest(80 000km) time but nothing god awful however it must have jumped time when I shut it off today because it went from...
  9. R

2000 Sport 5r55e rattle under acceleration?

I think you guys are most likely correct.... timing chains. Upon further attention I noticed it makes a noise at idle and such also so I guess it's slowly on its way to grenading.
  10. R

Thanks guys, unfortunately I'm well aware of the timing chain issues, of which yes...this truck has. I remember reading somebody say that the rattle like a spray can was something in the trans as it only seems to happen in the lower gears under load. It could very well be the rear timing chain...
  11. R

Hey all, long time no see.... My green 2000 sport with 5r55e and 4.0L SOHC rattles under load, it sounds like a spray can rattling. I remember somebody saying what that was in the transmission but I forget, anybody able to refresh my memory?
  12. R

4.0L SOHC to 4.0L OHV Pushrod Swap?

-I'm not sure 13 more lb of torque can be considered "a lot." -More revs = more fuel used. I've owned 5 2nd gen explorers and I prefer the OHV for reliability. They're all dogs when it comes to making power, and don't get me started on that sorry excuse of a transmission they bolt to the 4...
  13. R

4.0L SOHC to 4.0L OHV Pushrod Swap?

it's only the superior motor until it isn't.... The OHV just goes and goes, easier on fuel too. ( I have a 194k km 2000 sohc sport in my collection with the start up rattle which doesn't exactly exude confidence) oh and a 400 000km ohv .... no rattle ;)
  14. R

2000 Ford Explorer Sport mirror swap

I've had the same idea before but gave up because the plugs were different.
  15. R

Fuel pump "sock" disintegrated.

My '97 4.0L OHV 4 door 4x4 Explorer with 270 000kms which is now used as a field truck was having fuel pump issues. Took it apart and found that it's the original pump and that the material in the sock/filter at the base of the pump had disintegrated and was being sucked into the pump, clogging...
  16. R

Burnout

I had a friend years ago who had a 99 sohc explorer, auto and had just replaced the transmission. He immediately tried to do a burn out and succeeded in ripping the front driveshaft out of it. I found it funny when he told me because to me it was an obvious thing not to do.
  17. R

What is the BEST transmission fluid for a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT???

A compatible full synthetic is best.
  18. R

Going to buy an '03 Aviator, any tips or info?

Well I took it for a test drive today and I passed on buying it, rear end whine and vibration with the ac on was the clincher. -Need both upper ball joints -rear passenger door didn't unlock -manifold tick at start up -some rust - "check park assist" warning and tire pressure sensor...
  19. R

It seemed to start and run pretty good other than the mentioned manifold tick at start up. His wife has been the one driving it since they got it about 30 000 km's/4 years ago. It's not in mint condition by any means but I feel that it still has some life in it. ( and I really the like the look...
  20. R

Hello! I'm new to the 3rd gen side of the forums as most of my participation has been in the 2nd gen portion but there's a 2003 black Lincoln Aviator that I'm looking to purchase around these parts. They are based off the 3rd gen explorer so I wondered if anyone has any tips or need to know...
  21. R

SOHC Thermostat Housing...

Well, after taking the intake/airbox tube and idler pully/belt off I managed to get the old hose out(in pieces) so there's job 1 complete. When I get the new hose I think it's going to be a pain still as there's very little clearance between the water pump outlet and the lower thermostat...
  22. R

Thankyou for the input, however I just found the problem, originally I couldn't see where it was leaking out because all the coolant had already drained. There's a very short hose, maybe 3 inches long that connects the lower part of the thermostat housing to the water pump and it bulged and...
  23. R

I keep a 2000 4L SOHC sport 4x4 on the back burner as a spare vehicle, it's got 194 000kms on it and of course has the start up rattle. I took it for a short warm up drive today which I do with all my vehicles that don't see regular road use and after a short time started to smell antifreeze...
  24. R

How uncommon are a late 2nd gen 5 speed Ex.

I can't remember if they dropped the OHV v6 for 2001 but my 2000 sport has the OHV and it's a very reliable motor. The SOHC(There's no DOHC 2nd gens) is fine although hard on gas but when the timing chains act up, it's pretty lame and expensive. That motor has a bad reputation and rightfully so...
  25. R

Real bad shaking in my front end

If you replaced those parts and THEN the shaking started, could be air in your power steering from turning the wheel with the engine off.
Back