Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Need height of 2" Hitch reciever

I am looking for the dimensions from the ground to the centerline of the 2" receiver on a 2001 - 2005 ST 4WD. Mine was sold, and trying to get a new dropped hitch for my F150 that keeps the trailer at the same level it was with my ST. My ST did have an aftermarket hitch assembly. Many thanks...
  2. T

Anybody want a repaired thermostat housing and spare parts? (4.0 V6)

429 first, then 139. I'll put up a pic tonight to make sure it's what you want
  3. T

Last call, I'll even throw in an aftermarket radio mounting kit.....
  4. T

My ST is gone, but I still have the box from my thermostat housing projects. I have a complete plastic assembly which I posted about revamping the bottom seal, re-sealing the seam, and improving the upper junction. The other one I did the same modifications to is still in the truck, and never...
  5. T

After a Quarter Million Miles, traded her in

Any takers on the parts?
  6. T

After a Quarter Million Miles, traded her in

The Blue Trac was a trooper! Just about 250,000 miles without any major problems, and towed the Cobra all over the North East for the last 8 years. Only stranded me once when the alternator crapped out. It had all the usual problems: Radiator Driver's Door Latch Leaking Thermostat housing...
  7. T

2001 V-6 4.0 Radiator removal procedure

Looking for a good video or detailed explanation before I break out the tools. I have the usual tank leak, and have a replacement radiator ready to install. Can you point me to a good place? (hoping I do not have to remove the shroud or fan)
  8. T

Door trim panels fading

Mine are also faded, and have a slight window tint. All are the grey color panels. Probably a combo of the sun, oils/chemicals from our skin, and the composition of the pigments in the plastic. Doomed to fade. Memories of my 1974 Oldsmobile with the white interior. The white plastic...
  9. T

Is the intermediate pipe, muffler and resonator assembly welded?

They are welded. I bought just the intermediate pipe that goes from the flange to the muffler, shortened it, cut the existing pipe shorter, and ran a sleeve over both to couple them. Used sealant to be sure of no leaks, has held. Now my muffler is starting to go!
  10. T

2001 ST SOHC Thermostat housing P/N's and alternate sealing methods

I just dis-assembled and cleaned the second assembly, a Dorman, and found the following: Main body seam split and leaking in a few sections of the "sonic weld" Bottom O-ring squashed and leaking larger sensor Brass threaded insert leaking Thermostat upper housing leaking at O-ring...
  11. T

Just finally swapped in the Dorman replacement, see how it holds up. I did add some sealant at the base O-ring and at the thermostat housing split. My 2nd assembly removed easilly thanks to using anti-seize on all screws. I will now start to work on it so it is ready. I did see the...
  12. T

metal thermostat housing soon available for v6 2005+ engine

Thanks for the posting. Back to 02, so unsure for my 01. I have the dual sensor, and this part is machined for 1, but I could machine the second. I also am curious on the upper thermostat/radiator hose mount angle, it it is the higher or lower angle? My other curiosity centers around this piece...
  13. T

Got a Dorman "improved" replacement, will install to keep the truck on the road. But, will work on the last housing, and modify it as I outlined above to see if I can fix the weak points. Plan is to: A) Fill in and smooth out bottom face, Make a traditional gasket, and seal it to the manifold...
  14. T

And for those that have used the Dorman 902-204, can you specifically list the upgrades? I did see the better bottom O-ring, what else was improved? How did it work for you? Did you add any sealant or something to help seal it?
  15. T

Definitely have my second housing leaking top and bottom. Will have to remove it. Two areas I would like forum member input: 1 - Which plastic replacement assembly seems to work best? I am looking for specific part numbers. Did some research, seems the Dorman brand has an updated bottom...
  16. T

Front of Motor coolant leak when starting in COLD weather only

I am wondering of the upper house/thermostat top part of the housing is the culprit? It has the green crud at the split, and I looked over my old one and am wondering if it just never sealed tight? Could the metal sleeves that guide the location be a fraction too tall, and prevent the housing...
  17. T

metal thermostat housing soon available for v6 2005+ engine

Any update and availability for the 01 to 05 4.0 SOHC ST's?
  18. T

Agreed, time to pull it apart again up there. Is that O-ring available separately? Should I use any sealant when re-assembling? I will also deck check and flatten all flat surfaces.
  19. T

Been working to isolate a troublesome leak. Last two Winters only (in the Northeast, sub-freezing outdoor temps). It will piddle about a half-cup of coolant when first started, and only the first cold start. A start later in the day it does not leak. Just replaced the water pump,bypass hose, and...
  20. T

Need better brakes!

Yes, replaced the trailer brakes, what a difference!!!! From my racing experience, I prefer stock-style rotors, as they handle the heat the best, and are least prone to damage or failure.
  21. T

Need better brakes!

I also have an 01 ST 4wd I tow my Cobra with. The brakes are OK empty, but when loaded or towing, it is ponderous and long. I have experimented with different front pads, including HAWk hi-temps, still looking for better performance too. I will bleed, it has been a while. Would a high-temp...
  22. T

Water pump replacement 2001 w/SOHC - thread with instructions?

Many thanks for the quick response! That makes it look easy, but having worked in the front of the motor already, I know this job will be a slow one.
  23. T

Water pump replacement 2001 w/SOHC - thread with instructions?

Finally, after 13 years and 220,000 miles, it is acting up. In freezing/very cold weather, first start, i get coolant out the center front of the motor for about 30 seconds, then it stops with no more leak. My gues is the shaft seal is wearing, and when the cooling system has back pressure...
  24. T

Headlight replacement & Adjustment

Looking for a good thread with pics, video, diagrams, etc on replacing and alignment. Many Thanks in advance, Dan
  25. T

Door lock problems - Both remote and key

My 2001 is having issues with the door lock driver's door. With the remote, sometimes it does not unlock, or only goes partway and jams. Then the key will not work either. I have to open another door and open via the inside latch. Any tips or ideas?
Back