Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Passenger Front Window Repair

Hey that's really great info CDW6212R. There may be some slight differences in wire coloring but they are all there and lets me or anyone else know what to look for. I couldn't even find a pink/green wire on the passenger side and the locks worked. I just assumed (dangerous) that it changed...
  2. F

Passenger Front Window Repair

Here's how I fixed my passenger power window, maybe of help to someone else. The problem: No power to passenger window switch. The culprit: The power carrier wire on the driver's side door bundle inside the boot. This wire is pink/green. At least I think it's a carrier. I had previously had a...
  3. F

My On Going Fuel Pump Saga

This is all for a 1996 XLT 5.0 liter. I ended up cutting the access hole in the under seat hump as I could not get the the tank overflow line loose. That's where I left off my tale of woe and misery. I got a fuel pump from Napa B044-E, a Carter pump. It would piss out about a thimble full of...
  4. F

Fuel Fuller Line Release Woes

OK I am admitting defeat. The overflow line refuses to budge after I worked at it for 3 hours today. I sprayed, wiggled, waggled, pried, tapped and frammed and it does not move. When I get it all back together it will probably leak:censored: So I cut the hole in the floorboard. Admittedly it...
  5. F

I have never seen a release tool of that fuel filler line size. Not that its not made, I just never seen one or one big enough for the overflow line. I have a metal fuel line release tool. I tried the plastic before and they are pretty lousy. The tank is loose sitting on a floor jack. I did...
  6. F

OK, I did finally find info on how this thing works. Compress the tabs toward each other and slide the plastic clip thingy toward the tank. You may use a hose clamp for compression. A little lube spray may help a lot. Grab the hose base with channel locks and twist it back and forth to release...
  7. F

Yes it is the fuel fill line. I had hoped for something other than getting lucky:) I need to get it off to pump the tank down; its almost full (of course it would be). Thanks for the reply
  8. F

I'm in the process of trying to drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump. Its a 1996 XLT with a 5.0 L. I'm stuck at the fuel filler release. It will NOT release. I've washed out the accumulated crud to the point where the release tab will rotate and the fill line will rotate within its...
  9. F

Cracked Brake Pads

I had a slight squeal from the rear so I decided its time to replace all the brake pads. On the front the outer pads were cracked and one of the rear (don't remember which) was cracked. I went back with Wagoner Thermo Quiet semi metallic on all wheels, got rid of the squeak from the wear...
  10. F

Driver Door Lock and Door Handle Springs

OK, I read through all the threads linked and now I see how those stupid springs work. I looked at some of the door handles on Ebay also that had good views of them. Thanks for those links. I'll inquire at local Ford about painted ones, Deep Jewel Green, but I'm betting I will not like their...
  11. F

OK, I got the driver. door lock motor replaced without incident. Everything works as it should. I found two springs with the tang broken off on the door latch handle itself. It would appear that you have drill the door handle rivets out to replace them. This makes the door handle feel very...
  12. F

99 EX. Drivers Door Won't Lock

I just went through this with the driver door latch. As swshawaii says, there is no easy way out and its due to juggling the linkage in three dimensions while reinserting the latch to get a screw in it to hang it. I replaced mine and it wasn't too bad only took a couple of tries. Be careful...
  13. F

I feel for you doing it that frequently. Its one of those things you don't want to do so often you get good at it. I've done the driver side rear where it failed closed and I had to remove the seat and panel from inside and then just screw with it until I got it open so I could replace it. It...
  14. F

OK I got the thing back together and everything works as it should. Linkages are lubed and used spray silicon in the window guides while I was in it along with spray lithium grease on the window regulator linkages. So its back together until the new door lock motor gets here. Keep in mind if...
  15. F

Best after market radiator brand?

I replaced my radiator 4/17/15 with a Spectra Premium due to header leaks on the old one and an AC Delco 16 psi cap 12RB from Rock Auto for 164.96 total with shipping of 31.97 included. I want to say a cap was included back then but anyway, the cap I got was faulty. I picked up another at...
  16. F

Woe is me. My driver door lock spring broke inside the lock. OK so no problem, I'll replace the lock. I get the lock, get the old one out finally. It's much more an exercise in spatial relations than the the driver side rear door. Dang linkage snitty gitters running everywhere. I get the old...
  17. F

Brakes, she's a leaker!

kevinspann hit that on the head. My rear axle line was the first to go, then the long line from ABS to rear axle. If its the rear axle line its easy. The long line from front to rear is a little more time consuming. Use the cupronickel line in any case, it bends easy without kinking the line...
  18. F

Exhaust Flange/Donut question.

I don't know about a gasket, but the bolts are not welded. Still they may need to be cut off in order to replace. I would try spraying them with PB Blaster or the like for a couple of days before fighting them.... or just get new bolts and resign myself to cutting them. Exhaust train stuff is...
  19. F

Main Brake Line Split (FIXT)

Reaming and deburring is one of the things that was frustration. I knew the tube was square and it really pissed me off that the dies would **** due to the too small pilot. I can't believe I bent the flaring handle by hand. A picture of the OTC shows pilots sized appropriately to the tubing...
  20. F

Dave98XLT, I don't know about reserve capacity but there is some braking available as long as you keep the reservoir full, which is what we did. Its not a lot but it will slow you down, and you're not losing fluid (or at least not much) as long as you stay off the brakes. I would hazard a...
  21. F

Well, I just spent the afternoon removing the heat shield (an exercise in spatial relations) and what I can of the old brake line. Also had to drop the transfer case rock guard. There's a section of line by the fuel tank that I think will have to stay, about 4 ft or so. I can't get to the...
  22. F

OK, I just came in from looking at the frame side where the line is run. It looks doable, though still a pain to get the crooks and crannies. Woman will have to help me unspool the line and push on it while I guide the thing through I located the extra tube clips on the frame and looked at how...
  23. F

96eb96, hey thanks for stopping in. I was glad to find that quite detailed post. I appreciate your input on this. The axle line in the rear has been replaced; it failed while sitting in the driveway. I borrowed the flaring tool that time and have since acquired my own, not yet needed. The...
  24. F

Well dammitall. Woman and I went on a pleasure trip over into Tennessee leaf looking and came back the Cherohala Skyway. A rather dumb young girl turned across in front of us without even looking and she had to really get on the brakes. She said she felt them give and something wasn't right. A...
  25. F

1996 Ford Explorer XLT

For the windshield wipers, I would suspect the multifunction switch. It can make weird things happen when it goes. The rear door locks are another story. There's a spring in the door locks that gets tired and breaks. My driver side rear door did this, unable to open from outside. It was a...
Back