Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

1997 radio cassette player upgrade problems

I would prefer to simply run the head unit in series with the stock amp unit if I knew which wire powered it. I believe it is the wire marked ASYS in the drwaing I linked. It should just need a command current (such as the one that comes out of the amp on wire in the head unit- 12 volts 0.4...
  2. O

1997 radio cassette player upgrade problems

Hello all :) I am replacing the stock radio cassette player that I have endured all these years. The new stereo has the standard wiring that commercial stereos use now. I found a harness connector to use the stock power and ground harness. I was unable to use the stock speaker harness as...
  3. O

Continued shifter problems

Sorry it took me so long to get a repair posted up here. I was able to post the rod, and the problem is fixed. I did not include all procedures, just an overview highlighting some of the things that set me back. This is the state of dis-assembly that I needed to get to to gain access... I...
  4. O

Well, I seem to have found what part it is... It is the Automatic Transmision Shift Tube, listed in the Ford part lookup resource as P/N 7212 (though on mine the P/N is different- not that I am surprised by that). A replacement will cost in the neighborhood of $30. Removal and replacement may...
  5. O

I had an issue with my shifter last year where I could not get all the way over into park, and the needle was not lined up right. The problem was solved by tightening the star bit that seems to commonly come lose that goes between the shifter and the lever. The unit is pictured in on the upper...
  6. O

Grinding noise

In my case it was simply a failing bearing, not an assembly (or misassembly) issue. Like I said though, YMMV.
  7. O

Grinding noise

I knew my left front bearing was failing and I drove it for 6 weeks like that after I found out. It failed dramtically, and I was still able to get 3 weeks out of it after that. YMMV. Either way, just be very aware of the the behavior of the truck if you must drive it like this. FWIW, you are...
  8. O

How To: Fix Recliner Lever for FREE

Great fix! Thanks, I will be doing this over the weekend :cool:
  9. O

Lumbar support has a leak

I know it is a zombie thread, but... My lumbar support does EXACTLY what you described here. I would like it to work but it was low on the list of items to fix. Well I fixed all the other items, so I guess I will try this now. LOL
  10. O

This shake is driving me crazy!!!

I had a really similar problem in my '97 AWD this last fall. The problem would present in the 50 to 55 range in my case though. It was also accompanied by a low hum that seemed to come from the left front wheel. For the most part it had no effect on how the truck drove though. Comming back...
  11. O

Park seems out of reach

After an extensive search I found this previously missed thread on the subject... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2747110#post2747110 In mine case both the bolts in the photo on the above thread were lose, but in place. I tightened both bolts up and my problem is gone...
  12. O

Lost Park Gear; Screw Fell From Behind Console

Thanks! I have been looking for the solution to the same problem, and finally found it here! In the case of mine, both the bolts were still there but very lose. I tightened them up and viola! I love this forum :)
  13. O

Park seems out of reach

Bump, in hopes of a reply.
  14. O

Park seems out of reach

Howdy folks... This is the first problem with my truck that it didn't have when I bought it. At first it just seemed like the shift lever was hard to engage in park. Then it wouldn't engage the first time, and would drift with a clicking noise. I would apply the brakes and usually it would go...
  15. O

Climate control always hot

Well, here is my "let us know how it turns out post"... The job was really pretty easy. I found the Dorman kit on eBay for $0.99 and $8 shipping. I did the repair in like an hour, kneeling on a piece of cardboard in my gravel driveway. LOL I used a Rotozip to make the cut. I actually cut...
  16. O

Been a while since I posted here... I just let the problem be for the winter as it didn't bother me to have the heat on all the time. When I did get in there the motor did in fact function, but had no effect on the heat. That means that I have a broken blend door, right? EDIT: I looked...
  17. O

4x indication

My 1997 Explorer XLT has a knob to the left of the stereo to control the 4 wheel drive. The switch says auto to the left. It was in the auto position tonight on my way home. Enroute I noticed that both the 4high and 4low lights would flash 6 times about every 1 and a half minutes. What is my...
  18. O

Hey PAshooter! Haven't I seen you over at the PAFOA?
  19. O

I found an actuator on eBay for $37 shipped, which doesn't seem too bad. Before I go on, how sure are you that it is the actuator and not the door itself? While I am in there would I be best off replacing both the door and the actuator to prevent the need to go in there again before too long...
  20. O

Drivers door lock

When I lock the doors with the power lock button, the key, or the remote the drivers door lock moves as if it going to actuate but it does not. I can not force the lock down manually with the drivers door closed either. As a result the drivers door is unlocked no matter what I do. It is...
  21. O

I have done a bit of looking around, and I think I found a description similar to the problem I am seeing. I just wanted to make sure that the problem is the one it seems you guys indicate it is. When I got into the truck for the first time I tried the heating and cooling systems they both...
Back