Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 1

Removing pressure sensor from fuel tank

Thanks! That was about the green fitting indeed. Should have asked you earlier, because I could not see much in that tight space under the vehicle and just destroyed that little security clip. Guess I'll have to improvise something now, to prevent that tube from popping off.
  2. 1

I managed to remove the sensor intact. The hot soapy water definitely helped. Thank you both! And while at the subject, one more detail, about the vapor line connection. Expected it to be secured with one of those two-prong plastic retainers, but no such thing. The best I could tell, with the...
  3. 1

Got the fuel tank out of the vehicle for cleaning before replacing the pump. Not sure if the pressure sensor is susceptible to the cleaning chemical (Delphi FC01), but would rather not take the risk. Will appreciate advice from those who did it before how to remove the sensor; is it screwed in...
  4. 1

1999 ford explorer blower motor not working

Just a note: though commonly named "resistor", this part is very different between the EATC and the manual climate control version. Regardless of the type, It must be installed in the air plenum because it receives its cooling from the airflow there. If left to just hang in the engine...
  5. 1

1999 ford explorer blower motor not working

Your voltage measurements indicated that the EATC is - at least for the most part - working correctly. One leg of the motor always gets the battery voltage; the other ("ground side") goes through the "resistor" box, which is controlled by the EATC to provide something akin to variable...
  6. 1

Which way the coolant flows in the heater core?

It's been a while, so don't remember the details but believe that it did. It is not a check valve, so regardless of direction, it stops or allows the coolant flow as commanded. The difference, if any, is probably minor. If your heating does not work, check that the valve is commanded to open. If...
  7. 1

Bringing back the old fuel pump brand discussion

At 188K and 25 years of (almost) flawless service, my '98 had its first ever no-start event - away from home, of course. Silly me, could not remember where the Schrader valve is (because I never needed to find it before), so cannot say with certainty that there was no fuel pressure. After...
  8. 1

Junkyard trip for Gen II parts

Is yours with the heated seats MY 2000? Never heard of lighted running boards option on the 1998 either.
  9. 1

Perhaps aftermarket. I am pretty sure my 98+ had all the seat-related options "money could buy": 6-way adjustable, inflatable lumbar support, etc. -- for both the driver and the passenger. And just looked at the EVTM -- no mention of heated seat option there at all. Somebody correct me, but I...
  10. 1

No heated seats on my 98+ Limited
  11. 1

"Ghetto" solution to rear wiper challenge

Thanks donalds! The motor mount is very flexible indeed - obviously designed that way on purpose, though it's not clear to me what that purpose might have been. Great that eliminating some of the flexibility works, but not sure how: the main problem appears to be that putting enough pressure on...
  12. 1

Interesting! Did you stiffen the motor mount? Can you post your mod?
  13. 1

As we are all aware, the design of the 2nd gen rear wiper is horrible: it either doesn't have enough pressure to wipe the glass correctly or, when adjusted - one way or the other - to wipe correctly, gets caught under the bottom of the glass when parked. Owners of most of the 2nd gens around...
  14. 1

BlueDriver OBDII (got some codes)

The "ding-dong" that's supposed to sound when you leave the key in and open the door may not work. If you don't have the keyless entry pad option on the door and like me, keep the remote fob on the key ring, this failure may "help" you lock yourself out. The "key presence" sensor --a small metal...
  15. 1

Rebuilt Automatic Transmission Shifting Hard, Bottoming Out When Stopping, 97 Explorer LTD 4.0 V6

Really? Doesn't look like a task for a transmission shop. Just proper balancing might be more than they can handle. A good excuse to charge you for something that was never done, perhaps?
  16. 1

How to: Replace Rear Glass Lift Supports on a 95-01 Ford Explorer AWD (Video)

I realized the value of the lifting glass only after installing a bike carrier - no need to remove the bike or to crawl through the back seat to put something in the storage area.
  17. 1

Help I lost keys replaced all pats system new coulm, new keys, new attenna moudle,around key new battery had locksmith come out to reprogram it he sai

If you don't mind a thief being able to start your truck with a screwdriver jammed into the ignition, you may have the PCM (computer) reprogrammed to get rid of PATS. Search this forum for a guy who does this. Otherwise, as already stated, get a competent locksmith. In any case, there is nothing...
  18. 1

5.0 Motorcraft Alternator

Out of curiosity, I took my ancient (but trustworthy) Fluke 77 multimeter and repeated your measurement on my '98 V8. It read 0.009VAC (9mVAC). This instrument is not true rms, and measures peak-to-peak, dividing by 2.83 to convert to rms (for a presumed sine wave), most likely same way yours...
  19. 1

99explorer cruise control

Not sure I understand your question, so I will paraphrase: You bought a 99 Explorer in which the cruise control isn't working. The previous owner said he replaced the switches. He also added a separate horn button. You are asking if that added button was needed to complete the cruise control...
  20. 1

Heater valve snapped

Yes, you can. May have somewhat less effective cooling - probably not a problem this time of the year. When you install the replacement, pay attention to the flow direction (marked with an arrow).
  21. 1

Oil Pressure Gauge Going Crazy

The way to sort this out is to attach a mechanical gauge. A healthy engine should show at least 10 psi at idle. Perhaps a bit less when fully warmed up, but nowhere near 5 - which is the point where the dash gauge switches from L to N
  22. 1

Just venting...

$40 for replacing parking brake pads??? Here they charge about as much for repairing a flat in a bicycle tire, and our cost of living is still lower than Orange County, CA.
  23. 1

Another cheapo overseas ebay part - crash and burn

Glad you solved the problem. What type sensor on this 1995? Is this the pintle position sensor on top of the EGR or something else?
  24. 1

What sensor would tell ECM to not allow spark?

This thread is too long for me to read completely, so just a naive question: any chance of an aftermarket anti-theft system installed on this vehicle? Most of those just cut off the starter, but some were more sophisticated.
  25. 1

Reman calipers any good?

I know that this has been discussed before, but not recently, and things might have changed. Need to replace a seized caliper and am wondering how good are remans. Any brand preference? Incidentally, is it a must to do it in pairs? Thanks!
Back