Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Is the power steering rack bad?

Vehicle: 1996 Explorer SOHC Mileage: 130,000 The car started making typical tell tale signs of a bad power steering pump, so we replaced it a couple of months ago. Everything went well, put in all new fluid and it was back on the road with no issues. About a week ago it's started groaning...
  2. D

HELP!! 4.0 Sohc power steering pump replacement issues!

I ended up returning it, the only place that has one with the triangular pulley flange (out of ford dealership, carquest, napa, autozone, AND advanced) is napa and it will take until Wednesday to get it. Ford didn't have the proper puller to separate the flange. Someone might want to put this...
  3. D

After spending over an hr researching this, and calling around....ford has told me the triangular flange does come off because they can order it for me. No one has any idea how it comes off or goes on either. Wtf?
  4. D

I have already swapped the power steering pump on the car when I realized that the new one from advanced doesn't have the 3 bolt piece already pressed onto the new pump. Is something wrong here? Do I have to press the old piece off the original pump? I have a traditional pulley puller but I...
  5. D

Gray Leather interior, interior parts, switches and more

Hmm I don't know to tell you the truth. Let me know if you find out...I'm yet to work on a sport trac.
  6. D

ttt make an offer! need it gone!
  7. D

oil in water 97 exployer

How many miles? Is the car running hot? I'd do a leakdown test before I started tearing into the motor.
  8. D

General question: Explorer, a great car or a great problem?

Do this: Go to your local pick a part, and look at every explorer you see. Alot of people don't realize it, but these things (v8 or v6) will last as long or outlast a jeep. I went to a you pull yard recently and EVERY explorer had somewhere between 190k miles, all the way up to 256k!! As...
  9. D

Help please! I have a power door lock & linkage issue.

Figured so, as I mentioned see if your outer door handle feels like it's loose or has any play while you are in there.
  10. D

Help please! I have a power door lock & linkage issue.

Just wanted to say, I have three explorers in the family and have done this many times. I just use a conventional nut and bolt for easy removal, works like a charm! By the sounds of it though, you have a broken spring jamming up your door latch and putting too much stress on your door parts...
  11. D

Posting up some extra parts from going through my latest explorer: Here is my Gray leather interior stuff, will fit 1995-2001....possibly older models too: Gray leather drivers door panel, came from a four door...comes with power mirror switch still in it. Has a rub spot in the arm rest...
  12. D

Interior lights stay on

I LOVE THIS FORUM!!! I have literally been driving myself friggin crazy trying to pin this problem down, my lock doesn't work, my radio is messed up, the electronics have started to stay on a little after the key is turned off, and the dimmer setup is screwed up..the door ajar light wont go off...
  13. D

what did i break (yes there is pictures lol)

Agreed!! The only thing I think is better (but costs more) is deep creep by seafoam. When I dont have a torch handy and pb blaster doesn't work deep creep has saved my a** more than a few times.
  14. D

Joe Dirt

Haha I had a good time chasing my nosy pups around with it! Cd changer and magazine work, wish I had the cash to pick up this explorer myself. The Mustang is going up for sale as soon as I get back to NY! Thanks again buddy!
  15. D

How many here from new york?

I'm in East Islip, on Long Island
  16. D

Its just a little flesh wound... It's still good, it's still good!

Rough times call for rough measures haha
  17. D

never even had a chance

Well at least it's covered, but JESUS that explorer got THRASHED!
  18. D

Beached Explorer

Holy chit! Guess it goes to show you shouldn't ef with karma!
  19. D

Driving then front wheels suddenly locked

BINGO! This seems to be a Ford problem, and I have a heavy hunch it's from using anti seize. My mustang did the SAME thing (after having new calipers/pads on for less than 10k miles), the bottom caliper bracket bolts are usually the first ones to back out...stepping on the brakes with this...
  20. D

Tighten your caliper bracket bolts!

Folks this is IMPORTANT!! The clunking is hard to hear over road/radio, as I didn't hear it in my header/full exhaust mustang until I hit the tunnels on my road trip to NY. By the time I could get to an advanced and check it out I had lost two caliper bolts on the passenger front and the caliper...
  21. D

Drivers window starting sticking, and stops

Thanks! Exactly why I went ahead and tore the panel off, I had just refurbished the multi-function switch which often fail because (drumroll)...the grease drying out and not lasting! So when I took a peek around it was a sigh of relief for another cheap fix.
  22. D

Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt A+!!! :thumbsup: Just wanted to say Joe was prompt to reply to every pm within a couple of hrs, and shipping was fast and on time as promised! Item is in good shape not to mention a great price, I will be trying out the cd magazine to see if our cd changer works. Thanks again Joe!
  23. D

I wanted to mention the fix to this, as it was a cheap fix. All of my tracks were in good shape, but I noticed when I took a closer look with a bright flashlight that there was next to no grease in any of the tracks, and what was there wasn't lubricating well in the 30* temperatures. I pulled...
  24. D

Got both the passenger and drivers fixed, I'll post up a writeup with pictures tomorrow!
  25. D

Yes, and the corner (closest to the door latch) moves.....if I push down on it then it rolls down fine and fast too.
Back