Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

1988 Ford Ranger won't start when hot

Agree with reply above I just did the won't start when hot with my Ranger. It is easiest to determine if you have spark and or fuel first when the motor is hot and will not run. Mine had plenty of fuel pressure. I found the fuel rail valve and it was loaded with pressure. I pulled a plug...
  2. I

Success story-No start when hot.

It was made in December of 1995. Has a mighty 195,000 miles. The motor is the OHV. I have not been deeper than the intake manifold gaskets into the motor. It has even compression, about 150 psi across the average.
  3. I

Success story-No start when hot.

My 4.0L 6 cy Ranger would not restart on the hottest days. Fuel pressure would be good, but spark became magically non-existent. Gas mileage excellent, smooth idle, no trouble codes. Perfect running vehicle otherwise. My problem was a water temp sensor was dead shorting when I turned off...
  4. I

Identical cold start everyday

Egr? Hello. Here goes my shot: I have 195,000 on my Ranger, OHV, 95 and have done most all of the work on it thru the years. So I am no ace tuner. I redid my intake gaskets, which relieved the high idle, hunt and peck for an rpm. I also found a hairline crack in the exhaust entry...
  5. I

Motor is in! Runs!....can't get over 50?

My only regret is I didn't take the rail and slice it into pieces and see exactly what was going on inside. I didn't have to worry about the reputation of the shop or its employee either. When you live somewhere for a decade or five you know the reputations of people. Ergo, I didn't have to...
  6. I

Problem solved! OK all you problem solving wannabeez! Here is the end of my Ex motor adventure. I R not a computer genius. If I was I would post this as a problem solved separate post, but I also want to let anyone who helped me know the resolution. I REALLY like it when I read a post...
  7. I

I need more work on understanding my scanner. I am using my laptop. I just did a test drive and my stftrim was reading -18.2%. After idling a while I read -6.2%
  8. I

Oh yeah. Streetrod: I have zero startup flare. No jump in rpm at all. No more startup rattle. Without throttle it lumbers along at about 600 rpm. Bank #2 reads .51 and .78 volts. Short term fuel trims % bounce around zero. Mostly always less than 3 or -3 Deg. Closed loop fuel system status.
  9. I

What would you do Next? I have a scanner now. I had a code for IAT value too high. That was easy to find. On my Ex the intake air sensor is part of the MAF sensor, and that big connecting wire clip was not seated well. The only other pending code is slow idle rpm. The good news is that TPS...
  10. I

1999 4.0L SOHC O2 sensor removal.

Just did it. I can think of no way to show you via photo. So here we go, words aplenty. The connector is a simple clip style connection. It is set up so that you may release the clip using a small flat screwdriver or an awl or anything similar. I did it with the tire off. I removed the...
  11. I

Engine status, update, review: I am purchasing a fuel pressure tester, and a set of noid lights. It will take more than a week 'cuz I am retired, so we are taking a few days off to go further North for some real cold and snow! Here is my engine, Ex. status review, project and symptoms to date...
  12. I

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!! Just call me Homer. Thanks Turdle. When my digital VOM is set at 2 it freaks out when the voltages exceed 2 apparently. So I have retried that, and it checks within the parameters as posted on Street Rod's posting for MAF sensors. While I was at it, I checked the TPS...
  13. I

MAF readings Ok. I have been to town. The Ex spent all night out in the 1 inch of snow. Here are my MAF readings. I have no tach, so I am standing in front of the truck, engine running. Idle .24 volts about 1800 .26 2400 .40...
  14. I

I'm on it. I believe that my ignition wires are ok, but I will double check. And the cam sensor. Is there a standard resistance or voltage it should have? Then I'll read how to do the TPS and the MAF. It will take a little while, since I just found my Ranger's EGR is a two piecer. The...
  15. I

Can a real deal reader be purchased for hundreds of dollars, or is it thousands? It occurs to me that knowledge might be cheaper than parts when I might just be throwing darts at the board. Plus it sounds like fun. I could drive into a wall while looking down at a computer screen?:D
  16. I

Many thanks for the replies. What I've done: I have checked out the MAF and the IAC. They appear to be clean as a whistle, but I hit 'wm with MAF cleaner anyway. I am not certain that they can have such a massive effect on my loaded rpm, but if I was certain, I'd know what was happening and...
  17. I

A computer Question: Would any of the commercially available computer software help me in this situation. I have a plain old El Cheapo code reader. Would a OBD port wire connected to my laptop enable me to read any real time stuff. Or any of the voltages coming from the temp sensors, O2...
  18. I

Other info: When in neutral or park, it will rev to 4 or 5 thousand rpm fairly quickly, almost normally. So the no load situation seems to be normal. It would take a few miles and almost full throttle to get to 70, but might be doable.
  19. I

Got codes now After a 10 mile drive and a couple of startups I have p1131 and p1507.
  20. I

I did make it to 55 on a mile downhill. So it is possible. I actually checked to see if my brakes were hanging somehow. They should 'a been smoking by then! Test driving is a little bit of a challenge, as any roads by my house are snow/ice covered. In 1st gear the 4WD does kick in when starting...
  21. I

I can't hit 50 in drive. So I either manually shift into a lower gear, or floor it. The tranny steps down a couple of gears, and at around 3500 rpm I reach about 50. The motor drops to about 2000 rpm in drive. I can not maintain 50 on the level. I gradually increase throttle til its pretty far...
  22. I

The timing seems to be a straightforward process. I had the complete tool set and double checked my settings. After I rolled it through a couple times I was able to set the cam shaft tool on each cam while the crank was at TDC. The cam shaft tool slid on both shafts with ease, after all...
  23. I

While the motor was out I did a new fuel filter. The cats were clear and the motor had great power before the timing chain job. So if I think I have fuel, and think I have no back pressure issues, where would an ace tuner go for the next step?
  24. I

The adventure continues! I am having a lot of fun since I still have my Ranger to drive. So It has been a month, the motor was out, replaced the chains, figured out the timing tools. Put 'er back in. Starts real slick. Idles real slow, 400 to 600 rpm. A little rough, not by ear, but the Ex is...
  25. I

2001 Explorer Sport timing chain question.

I'm doing that job today. I bought a Sport, 1999, a little over half a year ago. I plan on driving it for at least 10 years, not too many miles a year. I am not in a position to offer you advice about what to do, just thought I'd tell you about my adventure this far. Today I am buttoning...
Back