Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 2

chasing MPG and bolt on HP....

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/472x354q90/803/1000615v.jpg https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/472x354q90/23/powerharness.jpg https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/474x354q90/534/groundharness.jpg https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/472x354q50/543/20111203210256.jpg trying to upload intake ppics...
  2. 2

chasing MPG and bolt on HP....

I posted over 2 years ago I had been on a mission for efficiency (MPG) and bolt on HP. We've long sold the '04 Monty but I've had several Pm's about my search for MPG and HP... sO I thought I would toss out a quick synopsis of what I found worked. Its a combination of Trickflow (Summit...
  3. 2

02-05 New in Boxes KYB GR-2/Excel-G Struts (4)

I thought "STRUTS' and that I list a 2004 Mountaineer under my screen name would pretty much cover that.. but edited.
  4. 2

02-05 New in Boxes KYB GR-2/Excel-G Struts (4)

Wife's Monty is no longer in the stable. I bought these to install after the new engine. (2) KYB Excel-G/GR-2 341419 (2) KYB Excel-G/GR-2 341327 New still in boxes. Online going for $80-$125ea, Locally Autozone/Pep/Orielly $125-$146ea. Ebay works out to $87-90 ea shipped. So I'm...
  5. 2

5.4 swap 03 Mounty

old thread, but wondering what intake you used? the stock truck intake? what did you do about the MAF air-inlet ducting? Pics would be GREAT. Rob
  6. 2

EGR tube

02-03 EGR set up is TOTALLY different than '04-05 be careful, they dealers try to lump them to move stock. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. If you have broken manifold studs also BE CAREFUL... easy to break the drill bit in the head.. as me how I know.<ugh> Rob
  7. 2

Any MPG increase from Electric fans?????

I used this as a template, made adjustments/improvements... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294228 Rob
  8. 2

Any MPG increase from Electric fans?????

our Monty seemed to like the dedicated E-Fan and supporting fan controller before engine let go. I did underdrives, E-fan, and Water-Wetter, all at the same time as a coolant flush. Truck pulled stronger, e-fan ran when the A/C sat in traffic (HUGE in Texas)... I'm the kinda guy, I research...
  9. 2

Trick Flow upper intake plenum - 4.6L

another trick: the elbow that is on both pics behind the EGR on the TF elbow will NOT work, you have to PLUG it and plug it FLUSH... the EGR body is so close, a piece of paper will barely fit through. So a very small pipe plug is needed. Be careful. The brass will want to break or strip. Chase...
  10. 2

Trick Flow upper intake plenum - 4.6L

TFS upper elbow/plenum for the T-bird is closest I think that was the application. I don't have my binder at hand. It was a matter of drilling one hole 1-step larger and some brass fittings to get the PCV for the passenger Cam cover. then everything else was bolt up. Drive-By-Wire for the...
  11. 2

Differences between Mustang 4.6 and Explorer 4.6?

I know holy back from the dead Bat Man! just cuz I am pissy and in the mood: ALL 4.6L SOHC Mod motors use the same crank, rods, pistons and CAMS.. there is no difference in the cam profile from the Crown Vic to the truck, to the Mustang, to the Exp/Monty 4.6. Hence the name "modular engine...
  12. 2

Will Grand Marquis 4.6 replace Explorer 4.6?? Trouble In Paradise!!!

update? Pics? especially of the oil filter area? what about A/c mounting? I am concerned about the front cover since the Expl/Monty front cover supposedly has the in-board, lowest driver's side mount hole 1/2" lower than any other block. Any info would be great. Rob
  13. 2

engine now cranks, then stops after a revolution

ok short version of a 5.5 month ordeal. Replacement engine needed exhaust manifold gaskets replaced. Broke off studs, had to remove a head to have it machined. Specifically told the machine shop to not disturb the cam. Finally have everything back together engine rotates a a certain amount...
  14. 2

While I'm at it.

Your "dealer" is trying to SELL you Michelin Tires. OE Tires would have been Goodyear or Continental, if memory serves me, after the Firestone Debacle. What brand, model, and size of tires are on the truck now? Any suspension or braking mods? Rob
  15. 2

Roof Rack Removal Help

drop the head liner, the nuts are on the inside of the truck. So all the A-B-C-D pillar panels, seat belts, etc have to come off to drop the headliner. Along with the dome light, visors, front lil console thing, etc. Its a 2-person job to drop and finally remove the headliner out the BACK of...
  16. 2

Help identifying a loose connection on 4.6V8

jford its the passenger side rear corner at the firewall area around coil pack #4 and the throttle body. The last picture is close. just pan out if you could. Its the single black wire coming out of the harness It looks like, as with the mustangs it grounds to the Fuel rail. Which makes no...
  17. 2

4.6L Engine Removal

no need to touch the trans except the converter to fllywheel bolts. Rob
  18. 2

Gonna need a new motor... How much should I expect to pay for a jasper?

$4,000 installed isn't bad. I'm going into my 5th month getting my wife's monty done my myself. $1,500 delivered for a 65,000 mile engine. Rob
  19. 2

3rd Gen Air Box Mod

modified Air box and replacement intake tract should never cause any issue unless there is a leak. Hands down, my modified airbox + Spectre intake ducting + good filter was my best MPG and seat-o-pant performance gain, by a long shot. Rob
  20. 2

Rear brake job

ugh.... people who don't understand "axle pairs" on repairs. Just makes my blood boil. Its like buying ONE tire... stupid people... Rob
  21. 2

Rear brake job

working on ANY "drum" brake type system is a PITA, LOL... its really no different than any 9" or 10" drum brake, just smaller. I would do a couple reverse hard stops to reset the parking brake mechanism first. If you REALLY use the parking brake that often, than I would bet its an adjustment...
  22. 2

tires

well you answered a couple of the questions: "mud/trails" says alot. how are you going to use the SUV? Most of the time how are you ok with tire noise? What about the significant other? TRUST ME you want to factor in your cohort, because if he or she ain't happy, you'll pay big time!.. I had...
  23. 2

Leather Seat Dye

the first link to the leathertique I will totally vouch for. My wife's Monty's grey leather has taken a beating from the kids and <I love you baby!> Less than caring primary driver (my wife)... I tried several other products, but the leathertique was the one that actually DID something. If...
  24. 2

Overheating 2004 Limited; 4.6l V-8

1. the Ushaped plastic piece is the upper Rad hose support. 2. yes T-stat can be defective new, unlikely, but has happened. I prefer Fail-safe brand t=stats that fail in the open position 3. the corrosion is not uncommon and nothing to worry about. 4. 200K, in my opinion its time for a...
  25. 2

While I'm at it.

also you said Michilen "oe spec" tires... as in OE size? I don't think the Mich's were the OE tire were they? How old are the tires? Did you try moving the rear tires forward, fronts to the back ? Rob
Back