Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

no reverse

Same story EXACTLY what happened to me. Priced a reverse band repair and was not much more to rebuild the entire trans. Read about all of the problems on here with some people rebuilding numerous times and decided to install an M5OD manual. Have never looked back. I MUCH prefer shifting for...
  2. B

Urgent !!!

My '99 X is torn apart to install an M5OD and we're having trouble making the clutch slave cylinder ( under the clutch pedal ) fit. Can I install it where the auto shift cable came out of ? Will it clear the brake booster ? Is this why not many 2nd gens seem to get changed over to the M5OD ...
  3. B

Planning to swap from automatic to manual transmission

M5od I have a 5R55e to M5OD swap starting tomorrow (:D) and , just for peace of mind, I went with new throw-out bearing, new clutch slave cylinder, pilot bushing, re-surfaced flywheel ( and possibly some other things ) I just didn't want to be tearing the whole thing out in a year due to leaks/...
  4. B

best fluid choice, M5OD?

Total quarts/ litres Was that approx. 3 litres from completely dry ? Can't find the capacity anywhere :-( BN
  5. B

Manual M5R1OD install

pedals Pedals are out of another explorer, but were the wrong application. Different year, different engine, I don't know. So, I ended up removing the pedals from the wrong pedal cage and installing them in the one out of my Ex. Also modified the cage for the pedals to be better supported and...
  6. B

Blue Headlights...where to get them?

light distance ? Has anyone else noticed that the 4 headlights used as 'low-beam' DON"T SHINE ANY FURTHER AHEAD than regular low-beam headlights ?? I did a little experiment the other night. drive with your low-beams on. Notice how far ahead you can see. Put your 'driving lights' on . See how...
  7. B

Manual M5R1OD install

Yipeeee !! I now have the only 99 Ex Sport Automatic with a clutch !!!! Pedals in, trans in soon. The guy with the hoist who said he would help me install it is not returning my calls. He could at least tell me he doesn't want to help rather than bailing and not answering his phone ! Some...
  8. B

Manual M5R1OD install

Hope this helps someone else out. My '99 Ex Sport is getting an M5R1 in the next few days. I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to remove the auto. brake pedal ( without removing the pedal cage from the Ex ) Could not be done on my EX. Got the pedal box out and the main rod ( inner) is...
  9. B

removing auto transmission shift cable

cable Trying to get the cable off of the bracket under the dash, next to the steering column so I can get the pedal box out. I seem to have one of the ones that have to be removed completely to switch out the auto brake pedal and add the clutch pedal.
  10. B

cable Trying to get it out of the bracket so I have room to remove the pedal assembly. BN
  11. B

Well, I finally got all of the bolts out to remove the auto pedal cage, but it won't go past the auto shift cable, and the cable WILL NOT COME OUT. What the heck is the trick to removing it ??? ( carless with Ex half disassembled in driveway !) Brian
  12. B

Transmission Advice, please!

M5 4x4 Thanks, IMP. Yes, the trans was from a 4x4. I THINK I have all of the necessary parts now. Fingers crossed :-) BN
  13. B

HELP with clutch pedal install !

I found a post ( and lost it ) form someone who DID NOT remove the pedal box to add the manual clutch and brake pedals. I've searched and searched !!! Does anyone know who it was ? I'd rather not remove the pedal box if possible :-) Brian ( P.S. tranny swap day is tomorrow ! )
  14. B

For the Mods

Hey Mods, could we have a sub-forum for auto-to-manual info/ stickys/ posts ? Seems like more and more people are doing this swap. Having all of the stuff in one area sure would help :-) BN
  15. B

a4ld to m5r1

Ident. number ? Can you get a serial number or part number off the junkyard tranny ? That would help you find out what year it is from. BN
  16. B

installed m5r1 w/new slave-now have trouble

??? What gear is the shifter in ?
  17. B

Many helpers ! I'm doing mine with the help of everyone on this site who has posted info about it ! Tons of stuff available ! ( Also, I'm a rookie mechanic, so I'm being cautious ) Brian
  18. B

You might want to read ALL OF the posts on transmission troubles with the Explorer. I was quoted $1600 for a complete re-build on my 5R55E auto. Going to the M5R1 has cost me $1200 and I never have to pay for another auto re-build EVER. IMP - 4x4 and everyone says the transfer case will bolt...
  19. B

5RR55E to M5R1 exchaange

Auto comp Thanks, PopRichie, but I have a standard computer to put in. I'm just trying to ballpark the number of hours to do the install. BN
  20. B

Shift it ! Could you replace the auto with a standard ? Lots of older Fords came with a M5R1 5-speed. I'm in the process of installing one now. Never going to have to pay for an expensive (auto ) rebuild. A clutch every 10 years or so and I'll be good. Good luck ! Brian
  21. B

Missing Bell Housing Bolt

Pitch You could take one of the other easy to get at bolts out and take it with you to the hardware store. Find a nut that goes on easily then take that nut to find the correct pitch for the 40mm bolt. Worked for me :-)
  22. B

5RR55E to M5R1 exchaange

Anyone who has done/helped with this swap. Do you remember how long it took ( roughly ) A friend who will be helping me estimates 3 or 4 days (!!!!). I'm thinking one long day should do it. What say the experts ? All help appreciated :-) Brian
  23. B

M5od-r1 2wd

Thanks, Lacky01. Will look for a 4x4 trans. BN
  24. B

Help on cleaning the rotor

Oh, and also cover ( mask off ) the braking surface so you don't get overspray on it. This could ruin your brakes and pads. BN
  25. B

Help on cleaning the rotor

Caliper paint is specifically designed for the corosive brake dust and heat that your brakes have to deal with. Many colors available. BN
Back