Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

How to: 4R70W Rebuild Diary Discussion, Questions, ETC

Hello, where do I go about to buy all of these tools, in quote below? Is there a board member who already has them all who is willing to loan them out? Spdrcer34, I noticed that you are in Bremerton. I am planning on doing my 4R70W rebuild at my father's in Gig Harbor, would you be willing to...
  2. 9

Transmission Rebuilding Assistance

Hi group, I was hoping there would be an individual (preferably a Seattle local) who has the experience and ability to help guide me through the 4R70W rebuild process. I will pay you for your time and help. The vehicle in question is a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT purchased new by my grandfather. I...
  3. 9

Power window problems fixed ( with pictures)

Hello, I thought I'd add my experience to the group. My drivers door lock/unlock button and drivers side mirror controls have been inoperative for many a moon now. I decided to finally take a look at the wire bundle this weekend. Started by taking the drivers door off. Not a bad job at all...
  4. 9

Rumble noise at highway speed

To hit on your "locking" differential. I would suggest searching on the viscous coupler in the transfer case. I've had two go bad in two Explorer generations. Also, the chains in the transfer case stretch causing a buck upon acceleration from a stop.
  5. 9

Wanted 99 00 01 2wd v8 explorer transmission

ped5stang, I am looking for a used 4R70W for my AWD '97 5.0. I would like a cheap one since I plan on rebuilding it and swapping out the one currently on the truck. Do you have anything that would fit the bill?
  6. 9

Rough idle with P0300, P0304, P0305, P0306

I just wanted to let you guys know of my experience with P0300. I pulled this code after work one day in the 5.0L V8, 1997 Explorer. It started up fine, but the idle was quite rough, certainly a misfire. I went to drive home and on the way the CEL came on and started flashing at me. I decided to...
  7. 9

Removing a BW4404

Am I the only one who has run into the exhaust interference problem? Perhaps I'll just cut the bolts out, drop it and install new fasteners.
  8. 9

Removing a BW4404

I can easily get all of the bolts loose except for one, any advice would be appreciated. I'm having trouble with the passenger side exhaust upper bolt. There just isn't any room to rotate the socket or box wrench for bolt removal. Removing the exhaust almost seems the only method, but that is a...
  9. 9

95-01 Explorers parting out

I'm looking for one teardrop 15"stock gen 2 wheel shipped to 98034. Any laying around?
  10. 9

'98 Explorer Popping/ Thud while in drive

I'd bet that it's a stretched / loose chain in the transfer case. Just don't accelerate hard and bingo problem fixed. It's really not that hard of a job to do if you decide it's too annoying. Otherwise you can search the site to see if you can narrow down the problem.
  11. 9

'98 Explorer Popping/ Thud while in drive

Is it an AWD vehicle?
  12. 9

P0300 only

Bump for the upcoming weekend, any ideas?
  13. 9

P0300 only

I am having a similar problem on our '97 5.0. The plugs and wires are new Motorcraft and the coil packs are new. The fuel filter is also new. Only the P0300 code is thrown and the engine is just rough from idle throughout the rev. range. About a year ago the EGR code was thrown, however after I...
  14. 9

Help Park Brake Assembly '04 Explorer

Just wanted to let you guys know that this method worked quite smoothly compared to my previous one. Thanks for the tip!
  15. 9

5.0 Gas Mileage Problem.

I average about 16 mpg even in the winter here with awd. There must be something you're missing. I'm also in stock tire size, it could very well be the tires and shackles.
  16. 9

Am I crazy? Considering 1st gen Explorer 4x4 build....

Dude, pick up an E28 ('82 - '88) BMW 528e for cheap. They are reliable, easy to maintain, cheap and plentiful. Just make sure the timing belt and water pump have been replaced recently. Otherwise I quite liked my early Explorer.
  17. 9

I need help with my 1997 Explorer AWD 5.0L.

This almost sounds like a similar problem I'm having. Does it happen when feathering the gas and going up a hill under slight load? Mine seems to shudder or buck as well.
  18. 9

255/70R15's instead of my stock 235/75R15's Anyone done this?

How are those Geolanders? I've been looking at them, but people all seem to think that their wet weather handling is awful.
  19. 9

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

97 Explorer V8 AWD - 212k miles and running well.
  20. 9

Re-Introduction

Hey guys, I joined awhile ago apparently back in 2003. At that time I had, if you can't tell, a 1992 Eddie Bauer which was my first car. My name is Matt and live in the Boise, ID area and have since sold that guy. That car was given to us by my grandfather as well as the other vehicles that we...
  21. 9

Picture

Hey, I'm still new to the lifting thing, I have been wanting to do it for a little while now, I just want to know what these tt shackles are?
  22. 9

Where to buy?

Thanks man, this site is a big help on getting prices. Now I have a '92 explorer, I am wondering what the best tire is for a daily driver, but also weekend warrior? Which tire company would be the best for that and what type of tire? Also, How big should I go with the wheels? 17"?16"? and for...
  23. 9

Where to buy?

Hey, i'm wondering what some good websites are that I can search around and look for some wheels and tires?? I'm looking for off-roading wheels and tires, thank you all. peace
  24. 9

SALEEN LOOK on AN X!

Man, those are sweet rides. That is the definition of street explorer. megusta
  25. 9

LMAO Look what this dumb@$$ did...

All I have to say is that the Nissan Skyline is my favorite car out there, even though they don't sell in the US. If I had money I would buy one!! The stock skyline is sick, and the right-handed steering wheel is one cool thing!
Back