Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Rotor or wheel bearing?

Well sounds fairly straight forward. I'll probably try to swap em this weekend. Any idea on the torque settings for the spindle nut?
  2. P

Rotor or wheel bearing?

Rotors should be good. even wear and no pulsing. I've heard some horror stories with having to go get the new bearings pressed in. Anything like that or more along the lines of packing em and replacing them?
  3. P

Rotor or wheel bearing?

So I'm gonna go with replacing the bears it seems. How hard is it to change them? Is it worth getting the whole hub assembly or just doing the actual bearings? Also any brands that work better in the explorers?
  4. P

Rotor or wheel bearing?

Update, so I took it up to around 40ish and did some turns and it definitely gets quieter while turning left. Looks like I'll be getting some wheel bearing work done.
  5. P

Rotor or wheel bearing?

I'll have to check it when I get off and drive home but I can't think of it getting better on one side or the other. That said I haven't been looking for it either ha.
  6. P

Rotor or wheel bearing?

I have a 99 explorer sport with a 5-speed 2wd with around 125,000 miles. I have crazy humming coming from the front right wheel well/engine compartment that's slowly been getting worse. It starts around 40 mph and gets louder the faster I go, anything slower and it’s silent. So question of the...
  7. P

Misfire safety

It was at most a mild shudder, honestly think it was intermittent. I swapped the plug last night and cleared the codes and now it it's running fairly smooth. I'm thinking that should work until the new parts are in. That old plug was a little wet and was gapped at .050.
  8. P

Front noise at high speed/pulling right

Sorry for the long reply again guys. Got the work done and been driving on it to see the results. Did some extra adjustment on the alignment and that helped tremendously. Also swapped the caliper pins on the right side and found the old ones were binding. Took away maybe 8o% of the noise. Did...
  9. P

Misfire safety

So heading home from work today I got a check engine light and pulled into the local auto parts store and had it ran. Code was P0303 which is cylinder 3 misfire. Already had plugs and wires ordered for routine maitanence but won’t be here until the 10th. Issue is I need it to drive to work each...
  10. P

Thanks for all the reply guys! So in order of posting I went ahead and got another set of caliper pins to put in sometime this week. I've been keeping the brake fluid fresh since I've owned the vehicle and just did a flush about 2 weeks back so I don't think that's it. Now as far as rotors and...
  11. P

Ok so I’ve been having issues with a combination of pulling to the right, shaking at higher speeds, and a whum whum sound that has a regular rhythm. Been chasing this gremlin for a little while but am getting tired of throwing money at it (more specifically the wife is getting tired of it) and...
  12. P

Mystery interior panel damage

I have a 99 Explorer sport and since I've acquired it it's had this weird ? around both side mirrors on the inside. The pictures don't do it justice but the plastic is coming off almost powdery. I'm not entirely sure what's causing it but my guess would be washer fluid from the previous owner...
  13. P

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Just passed 123k and going strong.
  14. P

99' explorer sport front end humming

So results are back in. Once the alignment was done the noise was almost completely gone. What little noise was left the mechanic said was due to some minor cupping of the front right tire. He said it was most likely due to our little town in Texas having more potholes then roads and not...
  15. P

Mystery wiring harness ID help

Here is the picture link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f2y6sbsgvfhu1kn/AADONgi1A1HyIOndiu2bI5Kma?dl=0 Not really sure why I can't include pictures.
  16. P

Mystery wiring harness ID help

So I got my explorer from the original owner and he had a crappy cd changer installed and I had to go in and work on/remove it (sold it with the changer but not the cartridge for the CDs). While in the console however I found the female end of a wiring harness. Dose anyone know what it should be...
  17. P

Well here's an update. Took it in for a balance and tire rotation and the head mechanic there drove it and took some measurements and he's pretty certain that the alignment is off. Got an appointment for that later this week and we'll see from there!
  18. P

Ok so I have a 99 explorer sport with a 5-speed 2wd with roughly 120,000 miles. I have this insane pulsating humming coming from the front left wheel well/engine compartment that's slowly been getting worse. So far it only starts once I'm over about 30-35 mph, anything lower and dead silent...
  19. P

99' Explorer tape deck quit?

Hmmmm was the XO a drop in or did you have to modify the wiring harness any?
  20. P

driver door lock

I've got a 99' and had the same issue until I switched out the lock actuator. Sad thing is 2 months later it went back out -_- I'm thinking the frayed wire commonality may be to blame. Didn't see any while I was in there though.... And I was looking
  21. P

High mileage preventive maintenance

I have a 99' Explorer Sport with a manual trans and 115,000 miles and I'm wanting to start on doing the preventive maintenance myself. I've done some work on it myself as issues came up but never really knew where to start to keep it running long term prevention wise. I now live out in west...
  22. P

99' Explorer Sport Engine Noises?

Not sure if this is the right place to post it but here goes nothing. So I have an 99' Explorer (manual trans) that's been running like a dream up until a week ago. Now whenever I shift gears it makes grinding noises even when the clutch is fulled pressed. It seems like its mostly on the 1st...
  23. P

99' Explorer tape deck quit?

I have a 99' Explorer Sport that came standard with a tape deck and have no problems with it up until recently when it just quit on me. When I went to work one morning and popped in a tape, it took the tape and locked in place like normal except it would not play. When I hit play and fast...
Back