Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 1

Trailer Brake Controller Recomendations

Thanks for the recommendation.
  2. 1

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look at those units.
  3. 1

I'll be in the market for trailer brake controller in the next couple of months. If all my plans come together, I'll be taking a cargo trailer from Chicago to Idaho and back (potentially as many as 3 times, thinking about 5000 pounds max load going out and empty coming back). So far I am...
  4. 1

Lower radiator hose connection. 2000 5.0

The oil cooler was gone beginning in 99 or 2000, I believe.
  5. 1

OEM grill preference? Explorer vs. Mountaineer

I own one of each. Overall I prefer the Mountaineer grill. My Explorer grill is painted flat black, I like it better then the factory gray plastic.
  6. 1

Stereo wiring help

Posted this in the audio forum, figured it may see a little more traffic here: Need help getting my stereo hooked back up. I removed the stock five disc CD changer and got a little carried away removing wiring. I removed and discarded the two junction boxes under the center console and didn't...
  7. 1

Stereo wiring help

Need help getting my stereo hooked back up. I removed the stock five disc CD changer and got a little carried away removing wiring. I removed and discarded the two junction boxes under the center console and didn't realize until the next day that I had killed power to the radio. I tried to...
  8. 1

Help regarding rear shock removal, upper nuts are totally rounded

I used a dremel with a cutting wheel to get mine off.
  9. 1

What is the correct part number for the rear axle shaft seal on a 2009 Ex?

I discovered the other day that the rear axle shaft seal on my 2009 Explorer appears to be leaking on the passenger side. I was looking at the Rockauto Catalog and there are two parts listed and they appear to be a slightly different design. How do I know which seal is the correct one? Would...
  10. 1

Proper viscosity oil for 2009 rear diff?

Thanks for the confirmation. 75w140 it is.
  11. 1

Proper viscosity oil for 2009 rear diff?

I am planning to change the rear differential fluid in a 2009 explorer soon. I've done some searching, but can't seem to find a definate answer on the best oil to use? I was planning on full synthetic. Is 75w140 still the recomended viscosity?
  12. 1

Oil leak advice

I had similar issues with my 1997 V8. If you want to know for sure where the leak is, clean the entire underside with degreaser and then add a UV dye to the oil (most decent parts stores have this). In my case the leak, which dumped oil all over the front crossmember had two sources. One of...
  13. 1

What maintenance at 93,000mi?

Your upper radiator hose should lead to the thermostat housing. I believe (basing this off a '97) 2 15 mm bolts hold the housing in place. remove the bolts and the thermostat fits right in.
  14. 1

Any recommendations for a hitch?

I've used Curt class III/IV hitches on my last 2 explorers mainly due to the deals that I was able to find on them. Really any of the big names should be just fine. I installed both myself. If you go that route plan on about an hour working a leisurely pace. Regarding towing with overdrive...
  15. 1

Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter issue

I believe the technical name for the piece that screws into the adapter is an oil filter bung. To remove you will need an appropriatly sized wrench, preferably with a long handle so you can get enough torque.
  16. 1

1997 v8 Explorer missing PCV valve

Thanks everyone. I found the valve, it had broken off in the hose at some point and as a result was not hooked up where it should be. I have removed the old valve and will be replacing it tomorrow.
  17. 1

1997 v8 Explorer missing PCV valve

I am currently changing the valve cover gaskets on my Ex. While i have the intake off i was plannin to change the pcv valve. I have followed several threads here and the place where it would normally be located is empty. I placed the new valve in and it fits perfectly but there is not a line...
  18. 1

Removing oil filter bung to install oil filter relocation kit

Thanks everyone. Ended up borrowing a long handled 1 1/4 inch wrench from a mechanic at work. Finally gave me enough leverage to get it free.
  19. 1

Removing oil filter bung to install oil filter relocation kit

I am currently in the process of adding a filter relocation kit to my 1997 V8 in order to get rid of the factor filter mount and cooler assembly which leaks like crazy. I have removed the cooler and am now looking at where it mounted to the side of the block. I need to remove the factory bung...
  20. 1

Removed the A/C compressor, lines and condensor today. ST's on a diet...

I will look into the ranger heater box, more space under the hood woud be nice.
  21. 1

is there a timing belt on the 3.0 rangers?

I believe that the 3.0s have a timing chain as opposed to a belt.
  22. 1

Thanks for the reply. I doubt that I have much pressure left in mine. Looks like I could have a new spring project.
  23. 1

How did you go about discharging the AC system? My AC compressor seized several years ago and i bypassed it, would like to get rid of the dead weight.
  24. 1

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

1995 XLT just hit 163k today.
Back