Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Dash goes dead when rpms increased and No Reverse

Replaced Alternator and now dash power off problem is fixed. Electrical seems fine now. The transmission still will not shift into Reverse. I am going to try replacing the neutral safety / range control switch next as the pressure control solenoid is inside the transmission as far as I can tell...
  2. H

I charged battery for few hours and started it again today, same thing, dash powers up, few seconds later the red battery light comes on, then the check charging system message, then dash clicks and powers off. The only dash light that stays lit is the airbag light. When dash powers off the...
  3. H

Thanks I will see if the Neutral Safety Switch i.e. range sensor has any effect if i somehow can test it but it has 11 terminals so hard to jumper various wires to test it without full pinout schematic. Do you know where that trans control solenoid is located? Under hood or under car? Thanks!
  4. H

2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 6cyl Automatic. Problem started a while ago, Check charging system message comes up, and all gauges drop to 0, i.e. speedometer, tach, a clicking noise behind dash can be heard, then if you let off the gas pedal they come back on again. Put new battery in few months...
  5. H

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

The 05 explorer i just did had retainer clips on the front lowers, same as the oem, the uppers just pressed in, no clips same as oem design. Rear uppers were moog and were same design as oem no clips. They require pretty good effort to press in/out I had to use a breaker bar, but once they start...
  6. H

Yes I understand your concerns about the press fit design loosening up but pretty much every car manufacturer on the road uses a pressed ball joint now. Moog sells the rear and front ball joints separately and I do not think they would offer them at all if there was any problems foreseen in...
  7. H

No you don't have to replace upper arms, read my post above, you can swing it down far enough to fit a harbor freight or rented C clamp style ball joint press tool in there if u use a block of wood to hold it down while you work on it. I just did uppers and lowers on 2005 explorer wasn't too bad...
  8. H

Rear Upper Ball Joints? Can they be pressed out?

Yes the rear Moogs or other brands can be pressed in on the car with a C Clamp type press tool. I used one from Harbor Freight and got the Moogs from Amazon which had the best prices and free shipping also did the front and rear sway bar links Moog brand from Amazon also.
  9. H

Removing upper arm not necessary If you use a long pry bar you can pry the upper control arm down as far as possible and put a scrap 4x4 wood block in to hold it down in that position so you can have 2 free hands. Then you can use the C clamp style press tools (either rented or buy one at...
Back